• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

They also don't vote for people that are assholes to the media. It's why Schilling will have to wait.

Yeah that part of it is really stupid. People should be judged on if they are good enough, and did they obviously cheat. You shouldnt have to suck up to the media to get in. Shilling absolutely should have gotten in this year.

Yeah that part of it is really stupid. People should be judged on if they are good enough, and did they obviously cheat. You shouldnt have to suck up to the media to get in. Shilling absolutely should have gotten in this year.
Agreed. Its about the game not about did the player flip off the media.

eznark

Banned
They don't call it the Hall of Very Good for nothing.

Seriously. I think its absurd that there are people who feel entitled to induction. It should be a shocking and humbling accomplishment, not an expectation at the end of a long career.

People think David Wells belongs in the Hall of Fame? Yeah...thank God they are tightening up.

He's got a better case than Morris. Better case than quite a few guys already in, in fact.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think he's a slam-dunk Hall of Famer. There's literally 15 guys on this year's ballot who deserve in more than he does -- but that's a reflection of how stacked the ballot was, not that he wasn't very good. By most metrics, he was a pretty good pitcher, especially considering his era.

And anyone who thinks that the Hall isn't already full of PED-abusing cheats is either naive or stupid.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So, there will be like 20 viable candidates next year? And writers will still only have 10 votes most likely. Yeah, get used to this result.

He's got a better case than Morris. Better case than quite a few guys already in, in fact.

And anyone who thinks that the Hall isn't already full of PED-abusing cheats is either naive or stupid.
Just because they used to vote in cheaters means they have to forever? They cant ever realize that it as a mistake and correct it? I dont get that thinking at all. It sucks that any cheaters are in but the best we can do now is try to keep any more from getting in.

eznark

Banned

Yeah, great. Jack Morris isn't a hall of famer either. Congratulations. Since when is having a better case than another goof good enough to get into the hall of fame? I have a better case than Ruben Quevedo. Do I get in?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So, there will be like 20 viable candidates next year? And writers will still only have 10 votes most likely. Yeah, get used to this result.

The 10 vote limit is the dumbest shit ever.

Jack Morris getting as many votes as he does and Curt Schilling not even getting 40% is fucking insane.

Curt Schilling is literally the Jack Morris argument with a pitcher who actually belongs in the Hall.

Talon

The 10 vote limit is the dumbest shit ever.

Jack Morris getting as many votes as he does and Curt Schilling not even getting 40% is fucking insane.

Curt Schilling is literally the Jack Morris argument with a pitcher who actually belongs in the Hall.
I can agree with dark for once.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
new names for the 2014 ballot

Joe Borowski
J.T. Snow
Todd Jones
Shawn Estes
Dmitri Young
Eric Gagne
Sean Casey
Mike Timlin
Armando Benitez
Richie Sexson
Paul Lo Duca
Jose Vidro
Matt Morris
Geoff Jenkins
Hideo Nomo
Keith Foulke
Esteban Loaiza
Jon Lieber
Shannon Stewart
Ray Durham
Moises Alou
Kenny Rogers
Luis Gonzalez
Jeff Kent
Tom Glavine
Mike Mussina
Frank Thomas
Greg Maddux

Sanjuro

Just because they used to vote in cheaters means they have to forever? They cant ever realize that it as a mistake and correct it? I dont get that thinking at all. It sucks that any cheaters are in but the best we can do now is try to keep any more from getting in.

Except they aren't cheaters.

Why is everyone so surprised? Not one of those players deserved to get in the Hall, at least not on the first ballot. Bonds and Clemens should get in on the second or third go, same with Biggio and and Shcilling. McGuire and Sosa will never get in.

Sanjuro

Why is everyone so surprised? Not one of those players deserved to get in the Hall, at least not on the first ballot. Bonds and Clemens should get in on the second or third go, same with Biggio and and Shcilling. McGuire and Sosa will never get in.

Arguably the greatest pitcher and hitter of all time? Huh?

The whole purpose is get those guys in first, then have some nice pleasant surprises in the years to come. If we are talking about it's a travesty that Biggio or Schilling didn't get in, then this HoF is fucked.

Joe Borowski
J.T. Snow
Todd Jones
Shawn Estes
Dmitri Young
Eric Gagne
Sean Casey
Mike Timlin
Armando Benitez
Richie Sexson
Paul Lo Duca
Jose Vidro
Matt Morris
Geoff Jenkins
Hideo Nomo
Keith Foulke
Esteban Loaiza
Jon Lieber
Shannon Stewart
Ray Durham
Moises Alou
Kenny Rogers
Luis Gonzalez
Jeff Kent
Tom Glavine
Mike Mussina
Frank Thomas
Greg Maddux

Maddux and Glavine will be the only guys who get in on their first try. The Big Hurt may have to wait a few more years.

cashman

Banned
Also I don't understand why writers are against Baggwell. He's never really been linked to steroid stuff and voters still won't vote for him.

Talon

Also I don't understand why writers are against Baggwell. He's never really been linked to steroid stuff and voters still won't vote for him.
He was a workout freak that associated with a trainer that came from wrestling or something like that. There's no clear evidence he took PEDs, so he's not thought of as guilty but there's a bit of association going on there.

Tom Glavine
Mike Mussina
Frank Thomas
Greg Maddux
I think these guys get in for sure, but not to sure about anyone else on that list. Gagne had an amazing couple of years but they are so biased against relivers I doubt he gets in.
Who cares? Both are hall of famers prior to their drug using days.

Do you know the exact moment in each guys carer that they decided to start cheating?

Yeah, great. Jack Morris isn't a hall of famer either. Congratulations. Since when is having a better case than another goof good enough to get into the hall of fame? I have a better case than Ruben Quevedo. Do I get in?

As I said, Wells isn't a slam-dunk choice. But he's better than Catfish Hunter, Carl Hubbell, Herb Pennock, Early Wynn, Burleigh Grimes...in other words, a crapload of guys who got in because the early HoF voters didn't buy into small Hall nonsense.

Sanjuro

I hope this year they induct Clint Eastwood for making a classic baseball movie that put the Sci-Fi "Moneyball" to shame. Maybe he can talk to an empty syringe and knock some sense into the sportswriters.

Arguably the greatest pitcher and hitter of all time? Huh?

The whole purpose is get those guys in first, then have some nice pleasant surprises in the years to come. If we are talking about it's a travesty that Biggio or Schilling didn't get in, then this HoF is fucked.

Both implicated heavily with steroids. It comes as no surprise that the voters would not want to reward them with a first ballot HoF nomination. This doesn't mean they'll never get in.

Top Bottom