• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Sanjuro

Both implicated heavily with steroids. It comes as no surprise that the voters would not want to reward them with a first ballot HoF nomination. This doesn't mean they'll never get in.

That is a foolish logic when the job of HoF voters to implicate practically anything to a ballplayer.

eznark

Banned
So why the fuck is Francesa talking about "people have been linking Bagwell for years"?

rjustice.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The vote should look like this:

Is Barry Bonds a Hall of Famer? Yes [ ] No [ ]
Is Craig Biggio a Hall of Famer? Yes [ ] No [ ]

All the way down the ballot, no vote limits, and it's one try and done for every player.

You can have special committees do a re-vote every ten years to catch the players who fall through the cracks.

So why the fuck is Francesa talking about "people have been linking Bagwell for years"?

Because people like him say "You have to wonder whether player X took steroids", even when there was never any proof beyond people thinking that muscles=steroids (when the list of players who've been suspended for PED use shows that's not the case at all). Then the next year, they get to say that player X has been linked. So they create the suspicion out of thin air, and then they get to say suspicions exist, even when it's all in their own heads. For example, Piazza never had any evidence other than Murray Chass being an idiot, but that was enough for him to get lumped in with other players that had far more legitimate evidence.

Syrinx

Can't use Bourn, he's a Boras client and a lefty. They're trying desperately to get a righty bat that can hit for power if possible. If they don't get Hairston they're fucked even more.

How many of those are even left aside Hairston, though? Unless they want to try to trade for Justin Upton, which would probably require sacrificing one of the young arms.

Edit: How did nobody make the HoF? And who the hell voted for Aaron Sele?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
pfft maddux didn't wear glasses when he pitched. he wore contact lenses. with the amount of dirt flying around on the mound his eyes were probably dry all of the time. he was pitching with a disadvantage.

BFIB

Not surprised no one made the cut this year.

However, if the BWAA is going to not recognize the PED users who have tested positive, or been linked, then why not accept others that are on the cusp? Would it really hurt to not have Jack Morris or Tim Raines in the HOF?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Not surprised no one made the cut this year.

However, if the BWAA is going to not recognize the PED users who have tested positive, or been linked, then why not accept others that are on the cusp? Would it really hurt to not have Jack Morris or Tim Raines in the HOF?
well jack morris doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame. Tim Raines does though.

BFIB

well jack morris doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame. Tim Raines does though.

To me, I think Morris does deserve to be in. The guy was money when he needed to be, and yeah, he didn't exactly blow anyone away by his numbers, but for the generation he played in, he was one of the best.

I don't think he makes it in now though, not with Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas on next years ballot.

Does Bonds/Clemens numbers improve? Or do they stick around McGwire level's in the 30% end?

Fenix

To me, I think Morris does deserve to be in. The guy was money when he needed to be, and yeah, he didn't exactly blow anyone away by his numbers, but for the generation he played in, he was one of the best.

I don't think he makes it in now though, not with Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas on next years ballot.

Does Bonds/Clemens numbers improve? Or do they stick around McGwire level's in the 30% end?
Except for when he wasn't.

He's a definite borderline candidate.

I did think Schilling would get more votes. Maybe he didn't have enough ketchup on that sock to sway the voters who remember '04.

Morris isn't even borderline. There are literally dozens of guys who deserve to go in before he does. Just off the top of my head, in no particular order: Luis Tiant, Jim Kaat, Dave Stieb, Lee Smith, Kevin Brown, David Wells, Tommy John, Rick Reuschel, Dan Quisenberry, John Franco...that's without even giving it serious thought. Morris was just an above-average pitcher who was lucky enough to play for some very, very good teams.

It's going to be hard for anybody to get in any more (other than Pedro or Maddux).

You are going to have 35-40% who vote for the best players regardless of PED suspicions, which means their 10 votes will soon be taken up entirely by those playesr.

And you probably have 30% who won't vote for anyone with PED suspicions.

So the PED suspicion players can't get in due to the 30%, and nobody else can get in due to the other 35-40% whose ballots are totally taken up by the PED suspicion players.

Damn Curt should have been a first ballot guy, but at least none of the cheaters got in.

what did Curt do that makes him first ballot?

Glad to see no one elected to the Hall of Fame. It's too fucking big. They should have to unelect a guy every time they induct everyone new.

we should stop time and space as well.

Why is everyone so surprised? Not one of those players deserved to get in the Hall, at least not on the first ballot. Bonds and Clemens should get in on the second or third go, same with Biggio and and Shcilling. McGuire and Sosa will never get in.

how do they not deserve to get in? what's the reason?

because he's a freaking moron.

Morris was just a compiler, not a dominating pitcher. Andy Pettite is money, doesn't mean he's a hall of famer....

Well now I'm curious about how many HoFers have had a negative WAR season.

Probably most of them. I don't think there were many who just hung it up when they stopped performing at elite levels. Just looking around at a few random names, the only guy I can find who didn't have a negative WAR in his final season was Tony Gwynn, and he was only barely in positive territory in his last two seasons (0.3 and 0.6).

FAKE EDIT: Actually, Mickey Mantle quit when he was still a pretty good player. He made the mistake of looking at his final batting line in 1968 and thinking he was losing it, when the reality was he was still worth more than 2 WAR that year, it was just the pitchers who were dominating everyone.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Biggio misses the hall by what, like 39 votes?

What a gyp.

Bagwell is probably going to be tarnished a bit because he played in the "steroid era", even though he was never linked to PEDs in any reports, but simply because it was a "did he or didn't he" situation.

BFIB

Biggio misses the hall by what, like 39 votes?

What a gyp.

Bagwell is probably going to be tarnished a bit because he played in the "steroid era", even though he was never linked to PEDs in any reports, but simply because it was a "did he or didn't he" situation.

This is why I believe the hall just needs to do something to get ahead of the constant run of names that are going to be on the ballot, yet are under suspicion.

Just make a separate wing for the HOF for this era. That way any suspicion, or whatever the writers want to call it, can't put the character clause on display for their purposes.

Probably most of them. I don't think there were many who just hung it up when they stopped performing at elite levels. Just looking around at a few random names, the only guy I can find who didn't have a negative WAR in his final season was Tony Gwynn, and he was only barely in positive territory in his last two seasons (0.3 and 0.6).

FAKE EDIT: Actually, Mickey Mantle quit when he was still a pretty good player. He made the mistake of looking at his final batting line in 1968 and thinking he was losing it, when the reality was he was still worth more than 2 WAR that year, it was just the pitchers who were dominating everyone.

yeah but his body was breaking down.

Top Bottom