• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Sandy Alderson on the Mets Outfield said:
“It’s conceivable we’ll go with what we have, but we’re still looking. … I wouldn’t say that we’re satisfied with what we have. But if we don’t find what we think is a meaningful upgrade, then it’s possible we’ll go with what we have. … I still think there are some players out there, including Scott Hairston, who might be available as free agents. … A trade is always a possibility, but I wouldn’t predict that. Other than that, I can’t speculate what will happen. We’re not unhappy with the position we’re in right now, which is to say: still looking, with viable possibilities remaining.”
Wait, so the Mets OF was poor last year and they might go into Spring Training with less outfielders? And the only new acquisition being Colin Coghwill?

I'm ... I'm not feeling...

1316107895_rafael_nadal_faints_at_the_us_open_press_conference.gif

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wait, so the Mets OF was poor last year and they might go into Spring Training with less outfielders? And the only new acquisition being Colin Coghwill?

I'm ... I'm not feeling...

1316107895_rafael_nadal_faints_at_the_us_open_press_conference.gif
I hope at the very least, they re-sign Scott Hairston.

Syrinx

Regarding the Mets' (pathetic) outfield; weren't they looking at Michael Bourn? And don't they have a good amount of money to spend? I guess they don't wanna get saddled with another potentially bad long-term deal, but jeez...

Friggz

Morse would be a pretty decent addition to the yankees. Nats are seeking a lefty reliever and starting pitching depth.

WOnder if they can swing, saw logan and phelps for morse?

maybe warren instead of phelps.

RBH

The Pittsburgh Pirates’ plans to sign free-agent left-hander Francisco Liriano are on hold after the pitcher injured his right (non-throwing) arm sometime around Christmas. Citing medical privacy laws, Pirates general manager Neal Huntington declined to reveal either the nature or extent of Liriano’s injury. “We continue to have dialogue with Francisco’s (agent), but there is nothing to announce at this time,” Huntington said.

On Dec. 21, the Pirates and Liriano were close to finalizing a two-year, $12.75 million contract. The deal was pending the completion of a physical exam. Liriano, 29, pitched last year for the Minnesota Twins and Chicago White Sox. He has a fastball that touches 95 mph, but also has put up a plus-5.00 ERA and averaged five walks per nine innings each of the past two seasons.

The Pirates wanted Liriano to fill the No. 3 spot in their starting rotation, behind veterans A.J. Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez. Righty James McDonald, who was erratic last year, would have gone into the No. 4 slot, with one of two rookies – Kyle McPherson or Jeff Locke — in the final spot. Right-hander Charlie Morton is recovering from Tommy John surgery and isn’t expected back until mid-season at the earliest. Management would prefer to have top pitching prospect Gerrit Cole begin the season at Triple-A Indianapolis. If the club’s interest in Liriano continues to ebb, Huntington will look at other free-agent and trade options for starter candidates. “We’re always looking for ways to improve our club,” Huntington said. “But it there is not an acceptable upgrade out there, we’re ready to go forward with this group.”
http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/2013/01/08/injury-puts-liriano-deal-on-hold/

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
be prepared to facepalm tomorrow at 2pm eastern when the hall of fame results come in.

will be announced live on mlb network and on mlb.com.

RBH

The Braves could do without at least a few of their top players for a week or more during spring training, because some of them are candidates to play in the World Baseball Classic during March.

Rosters have yet to be finalized, but here were the Braves’ potential participants Wren named, and the country they would likely play for: Craig Kimbrel, Kris Medlen (USA); Juan Francisco, Jose Constanza (Dominican Republic); Martin Prado, Luis Avilan (Venezuela); Freddie Freeman (Canada), Andrelton Simmons (Netherlands), and Edward Salcedo (Spain).

Wait, Freeman for Canada? (Some of you just had that reaction, didn’t you?) Yes, Canada. His parents came from Canada.
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves...tfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog?src=cb_section

The Braves could do without at least a few of their top players for a week or more during spring training, because some of them are candidates to play in the World Baseball Classic during March.

Rosters have yet to be finalized, but here were the Braves’ potential participants Wren named, and the country they would likely play for: Craig Kimbrel, Kris Medlen (USA); Juan Francisco, Jose Constanza (Dominican Republic); Martin Prado, Luis Avilan (Venezuela); Freddie Freeman (Canada), Andrelton Simmons (Netherlands), and Edward Salcedo (Spain).

Wait, Freeman for Canada? (Some of you just had that reaction, didn’t you?) Yes, Canada. His parents came from Canada.

As a Canadian I don't know how I feel about this...

new bullpen phones

How long until coaches and managers are routinely using tablets during the game?

Regarding the Mets' (pathetic) outfield; weren't they looking at Michael Bourn? And don't they have a good amount of money to spend? I guess they don't wanna get saddled with another potentially bad long-term deal, but jeez...
Can't use Bourn, he's a Boras client and a lefty. They're trying desperately to get a righty bat that can hit for power if possible. If they don't get Hairston they're fucked even more.

If Lofton actually falls off the ballot after one year of eligibility...well, it'll be the dumbest thing since Kevin Brown was one-and-done last year. And considering all the other stupidity that's sure to be coming tomorrow, it'll probably be overshadowed. But still, when one of the top 10 CFs of all time doesn't even garner enough support to last more than a year, that should be a pretty huge sign that there are massive problems with the process.

dear god in heaven, I am going to have an aneurysm. Chris "Mad Dog" Russo and Bob Costas and others are arguing about the hall of fame on MLB network right now.
edit: OH MY GOD RUSSO IS DUMB.

Are the T-Mobile phones going to at the Roger's Centre? We don't have T-Mobile in Canada and the Jays are owned by Rogers lol

Are any other teams owned by cell phone carriers? Or play in stadiums already sponsored by a cell phone carrier?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Are the T-Mobile phones going to at the Roger's Centre? We don't have T-Mobile in Canada and the Jays are owned by Rogers lol

Are any other teams owned by cell phone carriers? Or play in stadiums already sponsored by a cell phone carrier?
giants and white sox both have stadiums sponsored by carriers.

Top Bottom