• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

That's an optimistic outlook that I hadn't considered... I don't really believe it, but it'll give me something to cling to during the court proceedings I guess :|

It doesn't matter, really. The Giants won their division with the known help of steroids, but they celebrate just the same. They don't strip titles in MLB, so if the Nats win, nobody will care if their players cheated to get there.

Dre3001

Didnt Arod admit he stopped using PEDs years ago?

Does this new allegation pretty much invalidate his whole career since he would have lied about taking them again?

Didnt Arod admit he stopped using PEDs years ago?

Does this new allegation pretty much invalidate his whole career since he would have lied about taking them again?

Yes it definitely would invalidate everything he said. I hope they can nail him for it and that this completely kills his HoF chances. Does anyone know how a suspension would work for a player that is already on the DL? Would MLB wait until he is healthy to suspend him, or would they do it now when he cant play anyway?

Friggz

Yes it definitely would invalidate everything he said. I hope they can nail him for it and that this completely kills his HoF chances. Does anyone know how a suspension would work for a player that is already on the DL? Would MLB wait until he is healthy to suspend him, or would they do it now when he cant play anyway?

im fine with you being a yankeehater as your name implies, but try using your head.

arod not making the hall of fame would be as ridiculous as bonds and clemens not making it. they should walk in. they are the best players of this/last generation.

jakncoke

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen, all six of Rod Barajas' caught stealing plays in 2012 (out of 99 attempts), including one blown call and two plays that didn't even involve him.

April 13, Nate Schierholz

clip0388.gif.opt_.gif

April 30, Michael Bourn (blown call)

clip0389.gif.opt_.gif
clip0390.gif.opt_.gif

July 6, Justin Christian

clip0391.gif.opt_.gif

July 13, Nyjer Morgan

clip0392.gif.opt_.gif

August 5, Ryan Ludwick (didn't even involve Barajas)

clip0393.gif.opt_.gif

August 27, Jon Jay (didn't even involve Barajas)

clip0394.gif.opt_.gif

feelsbadman.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Gio was the supplier for the whole team.

It all makes sense now
Suspend them all! Off with their heads!
Didn't you guys lock up the NL East already or something?
from what I have read everyone is proclaiming the nats east champs (as well as the gm proclaiming them to be nl champs). Understandable though since they probably are the better team.

Talon

Yeah, apparently Aminorip isn't on the banned substance list. That's still shady as shit though, why would you order from him if you were clean? I've said before (and I'll continue saying) that I don't think HGH/roids have nearly the athletic effect that a lot of people give them credit for, and I do hate the PED witch hunt phenomenon, but whether they are cleared legally or not I find it hard to believe that either player is clean.
You'd think that Caminiti or a number of other players who have said that they hit the ball a hell of a lot better using PEDs would be enough evidence.

im fine with you being a yankeehater as your name implies, but try using your head.

arod not making the hall of fame would be as ridiculous as bonds and clemens not making it. they should walk in. they are the best players of this/last generation.

I dont think Bonds or Clemen should get in either, and I hate all players that use PEDs. I would want Arod banned from the HoF no matter what team he played for.

Assuming this PED list thing is a current/new list, I wonder if A-Rod being on it and getting caught in a lie would allow the Yankees to void the rest of his contract?

Assuming this PED list thing is a current/new list, I wonder if A-Rod being on it and getting caught in a lie would allow the Yankees to void the rest of his contract?

I know the Falcons were able to get back all the money that they paid Vick due to him violating the character clauses in his contract, do baseball contracts have similar clauses?

Sharp

You'd think that Caminiti or a number of other players who have said that they hit the ball a hell of a lot better using PEDs would be enough evidence.
Considering the number of things baseball players do that demonstrably have no effect on their actual performance that they swear by, I wouldn't trust a single word out of most players' mouths. We need a guy like Chipper to come clean and then maybe we'll get some factual evidence.

(Not saying there's no effect, to be clear... just that I think it's a lot less than most people perceive it to be. Especially with HGH).

i am curious as to why people care so much about PED in the first place.

For 1 it is cheating and directly affects what happens on the field. 2, it sends a terrible message to young players that are coming up. 3, one of the big charms of baseball is looking at stats and trying to compare different players and now you really cant do that anymore since a huge amount of players have been caught doing this. Look at the outrage of Lance Armstrong, that is a much less popular sport and a solo one at that, and people are still really pissed off that he cheated and lied about it.

Talon

For 1 it is cheating and directly affects what happens on the field. 2, it sends a terrible message to young players that are coming up. 3, one of the big charms of baseball is looking at stats and trying to compare different players and now you really cant do that anymore since a huge amount of players have been caught doing this. Look at the outrage of Lance Armstrong, that is a much less popular sport and a solo one at that, and people are still really pissed off that he cheated and lied about it.
Or, hell, Tennis straight-up bans people for two years when they're caught with HGH.

Talon

Considering the number of things baseball players do that demonstrably have no effect on their actual performance that they swear by, I wouldn't trust a single word out of most players' mouths. We need a guy like Chipper to come clean and then maybe we'll get some factual evidence.

(Not saying there's no effect, to be clear... just that I think it's a lot less than most people perceive it to be. Especially with HGH).
So I guess the jump in slugging for a few years isn't proof?

Or the fact that Clemens was still reaching the mid-90s in his 40s.

Sharp

So I guess the jump in slugging for a few years isn't proof?

Or the fact that Clemens was still reaching the mid-90s in his 40s.
So was Nolan Ryan, I suppose he was juicing too? Hell, Wagner retired still throwing 97, didn't he? IIRC there were some studies that showed that anabolic steroids should have actually decreased career longevity for pitchers, too...

Again, I'm not saying there was no effect. Clearly, the development of bigger muscles helps you launch the ball further. But the pattern of development for muscles when using anabolic steroids is such that it mostly affects the upper body--the amount that these players were adding to their lower bodies, which generate most of the power in baseball, is probably not high enough to completely explain the jump in production. Nor is it clear that players whose pitch selectivity improved (Bonds, anyone?) were doing it by the power of PEDs alone. And if the pitchers were all juicing too, and it actually helped them, why is it that velocities were considerably lower in the '90s than they are today? Why were hitters teeing off them? What I am saying is that there are really good reasons, both scientific and historical, to doubt that steroids were the only factor in the inflated run environment of the '90s and you don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to at least have some skepticism in the popular narrative.

Talon

So was Ryan, I suppose he was juicing too? IIRC there were some studies that showed that anabolic steroids should have actually decreased career longevity for pitchers, too...

Again, I'm not saying there was no effect. What I am saying is that there are really good reasons, both scientific and historical, to doubt that steroids were the only factor in the inflated run environment of the '90s and you don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to at least have some skepticism in the popular narrative.
Well nobody in here has ever said, "CLEMENS WOULD HAVE BEEN ORDINARY WITHOUT STEROIDS" or nonsense like that.

I think the huge disparity in just raw HR numbers in this era compared to the late 90s is pretty telling. The quality of young pitchers we've had come up in the last three or four years probably is a factor in all that, but it's also impossible to say whether hitters were just ahead of the pitchers in the 90s.

All that said, it makes Pedro's numbers like 10x more staggering.

My GF's family got Cubs season tickets.

I don't know whether to laugh or be excited for them.

Hopefully it works out for them. I got my Eagles season tickets coming off a 3-13 season, and people thought I was nuts, but 2 years later they were in the playoffs.

Because the media is leading them to believe it's an important issue. In reality, it's just a good story to bridge the dead air.

LOL. This has nothing to do with the media. Even in sports with faaaaaaar less media coverage they are still enacting tough rules against PEDs. You might not think it is a big issue, for obvious reasons, but for a lot of people it is a huge deal.

Sanjuro

LOL. This has nothing to do with the media. Even in sports with faaaaaaar less media coverage they are still enacting tough rules against PEDs. You might not think it is a big issue, for obvious reasons, but for a lot of people it is a huge deal.

Yeah, a big deal for soccer moms and boring sports fans.

Top Bottom