• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

There is less than zero chance of that happening if you read the second article. Best case scenario it is simply thrown out. Worst case scenario MLB gets hit with substantial fines for fishing and gets some poor sap lawyer severely sanctioned.

I read the 2nd article. He doesnt think they have a case, but that doesnt mean a judge wont think they do. Who knows maybe we will all get lucky and Biogenesis will decide to settle and just give MLB the documents.

eznark

Banned
I read the 2nd article. He doesnt think they have a case, but that doesnt mean a judge wont think they do. Who knows maybe we will all get lucky and Biogenesis will decide to settle and just give MLB the documents.

True, they could always get some bizarre old salt baseball fan judge who thinks this is a terrible stain on the game and is willing to go totally out of the norm and move forward with it. There are political hack judges, I'm sure there are sports hack judges as well.

RBH

If spring training is any indication, new left fielder Justin Upton is going to give Braves fans plenty of thrills and drive a lot of baseballs to the far corners of Turner Field.

He belted a homer over the 60-foot tall scoreboard in left-center field Thursday night in a 4-3 win against Washington at Champion Stadium, snapping Dan Haren streak of 10 consecutive batters retired.

Upton has three homers in three games and is batting .286 with five homers and a team-high 17 RBIs in 56 at-bats.

Earlier this spring he hit what many observers believed to have been the longest homer to left field since the ballpark opened, clearing the grass berm and a fence behind it and nearly reaching the players’ parking lot. That home run was estimated to have gone at least 450 feet, and Thursday’s might have been closer to 470.

“They all feel pretty much the same,” Upton said of his longest longballs.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-j-upton-hits-another-colossal-homer/nWzqH/

RBH

Braves pitcher Tim Hudson threw a knuckleball to Adam LaRoche in the second inning, after his friend and former Atlanta teammate dared him to.

“He’s thrown me a knuckle ball (before), that was the second time,” LaRoche said. “Another time he went to switch balls and threw one right at my head and it went all the way to the backstop. He just likes having fun apparently. That was funny. I actually gave him the knuckleball signal walking up. I didn’t think he would. I should’ve known better.”

Hudson had his best night of the spring, allowing six hits and no walks with five strikeouts in six scoreless innings. He threw 45 strikes in 65 pitches, including the knuckleball that LaRoche didn’t swing at.

“It’s a new pitch I’ve been working on,” Hudson deadpanned. “I was going to wait till the All-Star break to break it out, but it’s been so good lately that I’m going to start implementing it….

“He looked at me and (signaled with hand) like, ‘Knuckleball? Throw me a knuckleball? Ha ha ha.’ I did it. It was almost a strike. It was close. Over the plate, down.”

As for his performance, Hudson said, “Today was the biggest step I’ve taken this spring. My curveball felt better. I threw a handful of them and they were located pretty well, pretty good life on ‘em. My cutter was how it’s been most of the spring. Threw some good splits. The main thing was my fastball location was a lot better. Felt like it had a little better zip to it, little better life on it.

“It was nice to see some 87 (mph pitches) that weren’t fastballs. That’s always a good thing.”
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-j-upton-hits-another-colossal-homer/nWzqH/

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just another heads up (since commissioner Enron is on unpaid leave of absence from GAF for a couple weeks) for those in the GAF Fantasy Rejects league - the draft is tomorrow night at 9:00 PM EST.

Fuck yeah, Mariners! So when do the Cactus League playoffs start?
PrMyF_zps74cecd8b.png

Doytch

So, looking at an NL East preview, and I'm wondering...which lineup is worse?

Jordany Valdespin, Colin Cowgill, Marlon Byrd, Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, Justin Turner, John Buck, Ruben Tejada
or
Juan Pierre, Placido Polanco, Stanton, Rob Brantley, Justin Ruggiano, Donovan Solano, Casey Kotchman, Hechavarria

Gotta take the Marlins just off of Stanton, no?

1. Robinson Cano (NYY - 2B)
2. Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS)
3. Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B)
4. Matt Holliday (StL - OF)
5. Chris Sale (CWS - SP)
6. James Shields (KC - SP)
7. Aramis Ramirez (Mil - 3B)
8. Alex Gordon (KC - OF)
9. Nelson Cruz (Tex - OF)
10. Salvador Perez (KC - C)
11. Josh Johnson (Tor - SP)
12. Anibal Sanchez (Det - SP)
13. Nick Swisher (Cle - 1B,OF)
14. Ben Revere (Phi - OF)
15. Chris Perez (Cle - RP)
16. Jeremy Hellickson (TB - SP)
17. A.J. Burnett (Pit - SP)
18. Alexi Ogando (Tex - RP)
19. Dexter Fowler (Col - OF)
20. Marco Scutaro (SF - 2B,3B,SS)
21. Kevin Youkilis (NYY - 1B,3B)
22. Rajai Davis (Tor - OF)
23. Matt Carpenter (StL - 1B,3B,OF)

Thoughts? Trynna get ready for the draft tomorrow. Get into the room after autopick chose Tulo.

Fenix

Jordany Valdespin, Colin Cowgill, Marlon Byrd, Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, Justin Turner, John Buck, Ruben Tejada
or
Juan Pierre, Placido Polanco, Stanton, Rob Brantley, Justin Ruggiano, Donovan Solano, Casey Kotchman, Hechavarria

Yeah, I'd take the lineup with the 1 good player.

Edit: Well, Wright will be in there too.... still taking the Miami Stantons though.

or

Polanco was so bad last year, it would be really hard to pick a lineup with him in it until he shows he can actually be healthy. Stanton is so good but he is just 1 guy, I bet teams pitch around him like crazy this year. I actually think the Mets lineup is going to be better, along with their team as a whole.

Ophiuchus

Banned
I've created a fantasy league 12 team H2H standard categories 50 dollar buy ins PM me if your interested. For those that don't know me I've been on here for years and have done fantasy football the past 3-4 years looking to get into baseball now. Money would be awarded for
(assuming a 12 team league)

1. 50 Best regular season record
2. 75 Third place
3. 150 for second
4 375 for 1st

If your interested PM me for info.

Doytch

I know I'm late here, but leaving Chapman in the pen is comically stupid. I thought the management was better than this.
Eh. I don't think it's black and white. You'll get what, 120-130 innings out of him this year? Bump it to 160, then 190 the following years, assuming everything works out perfectly? Everyone seems to be saying that it's a choice between 60 innings and 200 innings, but that's BS. He threw 70 last year, and if you get 200 out of him before 2016 you can pencil in an injury as well.

And what's the third pitch? Enough hot shit prospects can't find a third pitch in the minors, and you can't work on a third pitch in a major league rotation. You'll never throw it when you need it and end up just shelving it.

And this is putting aside the fact that he doesn't even believe that he can be a starter, which sabotages the whole thing from the get go.

I've created a fantasy league 12 team H2H standard categories 50 dollar buy ins PM me if your interested. For those that don't know me I've been on here for years and have done fantasy football the past 3-4 years looking to get into baseball now. Money would be awarded for
(assuming a 12 team league)

1. 50 Best regular season record
2. 75 Third place
3. 150 for second
4 375 for 1st

If your interested PM me for info.
Hmmmm... me likey but $50 for my first time? gonna have to think a bit.

RBH

Sensing that his dream of playing in the majors could be near, Evan Gattis in the past week or so did what others have done in similar situations. The Braves catcher began trying too hard.

“El Oso Blanco” relaxed and resumed pillaging pitchers Friday, hitting two long home runs and going 3-for-4 with three RBIs in the Braves’ 7-6 Grapefruit League loss to the Phillies at Bright House Field.

“Just get back to playing baseball,” said Gattis, who’d gone 2-for-14 with four strikeouts and no extra-base hits before unloading on left-hander Adam Morgan in the fifth inning and ex-Braves right-hander Chad Durbin in the sixth.

Gattis has hit .391 (18-for-46) with five doubles, four homers and 13 RBIs, and leads the Braves in slugging percentage (.761) and OPS (1.169). His nine extra-base hits are tied with Freddie Freeman for the team lead, Gattis in 17 fewer at-bats.

With catcher Brian McCann recovering from shoulder surgery and likely to miss at least the first three weeks of the season, Gattis is expected to make the opening-day roster along with veteran backup catcher Gerald Laird. It’s uncertain how they’ll split the catching duties until McCann returns, but Gattis – assuming he’s on the team – might end up getting more than just a start or two per week.

The Braves want him on the team for his bat, and if he keeps hitting it will be hard to keep him out of the lineup, especially since his defense hasn’t been the problem some thought it might be.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-gattis-resumes-pillaging-with-2-hrs-vs-phil/nW2ZR/

EL OSO BLANCO!

dmag1223

It's only stupid if they make him a traditional closer. So it'll be stupid.

Exactly. Its not so much leaving him in the bullpen thats moronic, it's the fact that Dusty will only use him in the 9th, when we have a close situation, wasting opportunities to use him more often.

JABEE

Closers are significantly less valuable than starting pitchers.

Do yo think Chapman can be valuable as a starting pitcher in the majors with his arm? He is much more valuable as a pitcher out of the bullpen than a starting pitcher. From everything I hear, his velocity and control drops severely after a couple innings. It's about using your resources to their full potential.

Do yo think Chapman can be valuable as a starting pitcher in the majors with his arm? He is much more valuable as a pitcher out of the bullpen than a starting pitcher. From everything I hear, his velocity and control drops severely after a couple innings. It's about using your resources to their full potential.

Plus out of the bullpen he can effect several games a week rather then just 1 as a starter. Just look at the Phils last year, they lost so many games in the 8th inning.

eznark

Banned
They are going to use Chapman in games where they are already the overwhelming favorites to win. Teams in a save situation going into the ninth inning win an overwhelming majority of games, even one run games. Using your best pitcher in those situations is like throwing gas on a napalm fire. What's the point? As a closer he will face what, 12 batters in an average week? Topping out at 15? A starting pitcher is going to get that in one bad start. He has two good outings and he's likely to face 40+ batters in that week. In innings where the outcome is far less certain.

The smart thing to do would be to use someone like Broxton or Andrusek if you think you need a "closer" in the ninth and use Chapman as a fireman. Then I would love the idea of him being in the bullpen.

To vas' point, I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that throwing 3-5 times a week at max effort 20 pitches each time is any less strenuous on the arm than throwing 110 pitches twice a week. There could be, I've just never seen it.

Top Bottom