• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Sanjuro

When does the shoulder injury show up? 5 years for a soon to be 32 year old pitcher scares me but he would've gotten more on the open market if he has another good season.

He shouldn't have, but hey, MLB in 2013!

DONTPAYFORPASTPERFORMANCESDONTPAYFORPASTPERFORMANCESDONTPAYFORPASTPERFORMANCESDONTPAYFORPASTPERFORMANCESDONTPAYFORPASTPERFORMANCES....

Pay for past performances!

eznark

Banned
Feel way better about Lohse!

update on Joseph from BP, reflects my thoughts from yesterday:

Tommy Joseph, C: Acquired as the main piece of the Hunter Pence deal; only average receiver; power to all fields; improving with balls in dirt. The best way I can describe Joseph is that I like him but don’t love him. I believe he has the skills to on both sides of the ball to be a fringe first- or solid second-division catcher. Joseph will continue his trek toward the majors in Triple-A at Lehigh Valley.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20000

baseball will be healthy for years to come and it has nothing to do with the games popularity. MLB has made smart investments last few yrs.

ESPN.com said:
Forbes: MLB teams' worth up 23%
By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

MLB Teams See Historic Surge In Values

Major League Baseball teams can bask in the glow of the biggest year-over-year change in valuation ever calculated by Forbes magazine as they enter a new season, but it's not the popularity of the game or their ballparks the owners have to thank for the surge.

According to figures released by the publication Wednesday, the league's off-the-field investments have helped boost the average worth of the 30 teams by 23 percent to $744 million.

In its report, Forbes, which has been tracking the league's finances since 1998, revealed that the money that all teams made from the $450 million sale of the Montreal Expos in 2006 was invested in hedge funds that are now worth more than $1 billion.

"The value of a team used to be about a team itself," Forbes executive editor Michael Ozanian said in a phone interview with ESPN.com. "Then it shifted to the stadium value and then to the television deals, and now it's more about what's not on the field at all."

Each team also owns an equal share in MLB Advanced Media, which, among other things, has generated massive revenue from its game-day video and audio app MLB At Bat, the highest grossing sports app in the Apple store on the iPhone and iPad for four consecutive years.

MLB Advanced Media generates more than $600 million in revenue, and Forbes conservatively values the subsidiary at $6 billion.

Combine those investments with the $12.4 billion in national television revenue the clubs will receive thanks to new deals with Fox, Turner and ESPN that run through the 2021 season, and it's easy to see why it's a great time to be a Major League Baseball owner.

The New York Yankees are the most valuable team for the 16th straight year. Forbes tabs the team's value at $2.3 billion, surpassing the Dallas Cowboys' $2.1 billion for the title of most valuable franchise in North America. The Los Angeles Dodgers are in the No. 2 MLB spot at $1.5 billion.

Ozanian said that the $2.1 billion price that Guggenheim Partners paid for the Dodgers looks to be too steep since he believes at least $1 billion of the team's new television deal, which has been announced but not yet submitted to Major League Baseball, will go toward revenue sharing.

The Boston Red Sox are the third most valuable team at $1.3 billion, while the Chicago Cubs come in at $1 billion, the final team worth at least 10 figures. Ozanian says the rise in value of the Cubs, the team portion having been bought by Tom Ricketts in 2009 for $700 million, has to do with the fact the team was purchased significantly below its asset value as a result of the financial meltdown. A new local television deal, which is not yet negotiated but begins in the 2015 season, is also baked into the price.

Despite the much-publicized shedding of its top players, the Miami Marlins are worth $520 million this year, up 16 percent from last year. The team was worth $360 million in 2011, before it was awarded its new stadium.
"The Marlins should be up even more -- 25 percent this year," Ozanian said. "But not a lot of people are going to show up now that they did what they did. They shouldn't be worth less than the Milwaukee Brewers [$562 million]."

Forbes' findings come a week after sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Adam Rubin that owners are moving toward eliminating the pension plans of all personnel not wearing big league uniforms.

A majority of owners favor the abolition of the pension plan, a source said. A vote, which was intended to be kept secret, is scheduled to take place at owners meetings May 8-9 in New York.

Zep

Banned
Hey ENRON, give me Dom Brown motherfucker. And take this bitch BJ Upton off my team.

Thanks bro. Look forward to you accepting the trade..

Hey ENRON, give me Dom Brown motherfucker. And take this bitch BJ Upton off my team.

Thanks bro. Look forward to you accepting the trade..

SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif

BFIB

Woke up and read the Wainwright news.

Still not sure how I feel about it. I would think with the number of arms the Cardinals have at their disposal that letting Waino walk, we'd have enough arms to move up.

Parch

I like how I always jump on bandwagons based on the fantasy teams I draft. Yesterday I didn't give a crap about Lonnie Chisenhall, today he's a breakout player poised for a big year.

Brainwashing gymnastics can really put the "fantasy" into fantasy baseball.

I like how I always jump on bandwagons based on the fantasy teams I draft. Yesterday I didn't give a crap about Lonnie Chisenhall, today he's a breakout player poised for a big year.

Brainwashing gymnastics can really put the "fantasy" into fantasy baseball.

I drafted Rondon all over the place.

Oops.

aFIGurANT

Still not sure how I feel about it. I would think with the number of arms the Cardinals have at their disposal that letting Waino walk, we'd have enough arms to move up.

It's pretty much 50 cents on the dollar versus what Felix and Hamels got, though. Obviously they got the extra couple of years in there to inflate the total but for what it's worth both AW and the front office seem to agree that Wainwright needs to prove he's still elite.

Also not a bad deal for the best fans in baseball's team in terms of total payroll going forward.

Zep

Banned
BGcn_EtCAAAXakH.jpg:large

Roy on the mound today against the Blue Jays. If he can consistently hit 90 and locate pitches, I'll be happy.

Let Us Pray

BFIB

It's pretty much 50 cents on the dollar versus what Felix and Hamels got, though. Obviously they got the extra couple of years in there to inflate the total but for what it's worth both AW and the front office seem to agree that Wainwright needs to prove he's still elite.

Also not a bad deal for the best fans in baseball's team in terms of total payroll going forward.

I've given myself some time to let it sink in. I'm glad he's going to be a Cardinal pretty much the rest of his career. I still think had he walked, we could have had enough arms to fill his spot. But, he's also proved that he's worth the contract. Compared to the Grienke deal, Waino's deal looks like a steal.

Had the Cardinals signed Pujols, then no Molina, and no Wainwright, so I'll take this over extending Pujols.

Syrinx

BGcn_EtCAAAXakH.jpg:large

Roy on the mound today against the Blue Jays. If he can consistently hit 90 and locate pitches, I'll be happy.

Let Us Pray

Why do I all of a sudden get the feeling that I thought Carlos Ruiz was injured? Am I right, or thinking of someone else (might not even be on the Phillies)?

fyi, just woke up from a post-test nap.

Zep

Banned
Doc looked good in the first. Two weak ground outs and a strikeout.

Why do I all of a sudden get the feeling that I thought Carlos Ruiz was injured? Am I right, or thinking of someone else (might not even be on the Phillies)?

fyi, just woke up from a post-test nap.

He was hit in the hand last week but is fine to play. He'll be suspended the first 25 games, if thats what you were thinking of.

Syrinx

Doc looked good in the first. Two weak ground outs and a strikeout.

He was hit in the hand last week but is fine to play. He'll be suspended the first 25 games, if thats what you were thinking of.

Ooohhh that. Yeah, I considered a suspension, but I immediately thought of a 50-gamer and I knew he didn't get that.

RBH

Shit came up and made me miss the GAF draft last night. :/

But on the other hand, my team is not as bad as I expected, all things considered.

tumblr_m9yn7gmErt1reo8gto1_1280.jpg

calder

Shit I panicked in the second round of my Yahoo draft last night and ended up picking Pedroia. Now I'm going to sneer in disdain a bit every time I look at my team.

Zep

Banned
Decent outing for Doc. Cutter is still terrible but his curve and fastball got some swing and misses. The 2nd, where he lost location(and still got out of it) was really his worst inning. You can see he's still adjusting to not being a power pitcher anymore...Learning to rely on his breaking stuff.

Parch

Shit I panicked in the second round of my Yahoo draft last night and ended up picking Pedroia. Now I'm going to sneer in disdain a bit every time I look at my team.
No panic. 2B choices get thin quick, so I think Pedroia in the 2nd round isn't a bad pick. There were some decent C, 3B and SS in later rounds, but I didn't think much of the 2B and OF depth. You did fine.

Not every one of those prospects will pan out so it's unlikely we'd have an entire homegrown rotation. If we're going to fill out a rotation spot or two with a FA anyway, Wainwright's not a bad choice. I'm just skittish about giving pitchers five year deals, much less one who's 31 years of age. But if that's the cost of locking up a front of the rotation starter for the next two years, so be it.

In the end, this deal alone isn't going to hamstring our budget, especially if payroll increases with more revenue sharing dollars. If Holliday, Molina, and Wainwright all fall off a cliff though...our cheaper talent better pick up the slack.

Wow, the Mets' first game is on Monday. Hard to believe its this close.

Starting to get jazzed as well. I might go out after school today and pick up a throwback jersey. Either Braun or Gallardo. Braun is an easy choice, but I don't want my future children thinking I support cheaters. I'll just cross my fingers and hope we can extend Gallardo after next season.

BFIB

Cards open up in Arizona. Which is perfect this year since I took the day off.

Get up, play MLB 13 all day.

Watch Cardinals game.

Perfect day.

Getting real excited for a second dose of that Orioles Magic. Although, I'm curious how they finish out the rotation. I know Miguel Gonzalez was named the 3, I assume Tillman is the 4, but I don't know who will round it out. Arrieta, I'm assuming, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Britton has. This is the year all our young pitching turn into all stars!

Top Bottom