• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

I can't now that I'm out of state, but I haven't been to one in over 20 years.
The Mets are looking to trade non-core prospects from the 40-man roster in order to clear spots, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.

Rubin says among those who are available are Gonzalez Germen, Darin Gorski, Reese Havens, Juan Lagares, Cesar Puello, Elvin Ramirez, and Hansel Robles.
Blue Jays interested in Havens-- wait wtf NOOOOOOO NOT GORSKI WHY SANDY?

Zep

Banned
I can't go to opening day. I live in Connecticut. My team is in Seattle.

Feels bad man.

Connecticut you say? I see obstructed view seats in your future for opening day.

14a_bleachers_obstructed_view.jpg

Macattk15

Connecticut you say? I see obstructed view seats in your future for opening day.

14a_bleachers_obstructed_view.jpg

I never go to Yankee Stadium. Even when the M's play there.

I do often frequent Fenway and will be attending the end of July series the M's play there as I enjoy that park / area.

That stadium can be hell with obstructed views also, but I know where they are at least.

That shit at Yankee Stadium I did not even know about. But hey those are bleacher seats ... shit happens when you pay $20 a ticket.

I never go to Yankee Stadium. Even when the M's play there.

I do often frequent Fenway and will be attending the end of July series the M's play there as I enjoy that park / area.

That stadium can be hell with obstructed views also, but I know where they are at least.

That shit at Yankee Stadium I did not even know about. But hey those are bleacher seats ... shit happens when you pay $20 a ticket.

It shouldn't be like this though. Bleacher seats are super fun at Giants games AND you can see the whole stadium. Just another LOL Yankees moment that we've been having a lot of lately.

List of players in all 30 organizations who are out of options entering the 2013 season:

Angels
- RHP Ernesto Frieri
- RHP Kevin Jepsen
- RHP Jerome Williams

Astros
- 1B Chris Carter
- RHP Lucas Harrell
- RHP Phillip Humber
- LF Fernando Martinez
- CF Justin Maxwell
- LHP Wesley Wright

Athletics
- 1B Daric Barton
- LHP Travis Blackley
- LHP Jerry Blevins
- 3B Josh Donaldson
- 1B Brandon Moss
- RHP Pat Neshek
- RHP Chris Resop
- SS Adam Rosales

Blue Jays
- CF Emilio Bonafacio
- LHP Brett Cecil
- RHP Jeremy Jeffress
- RHP Esmil Rogers
- RHP Sergio Santos

Braves
- 3B Juan Francisco
- RHP Cristhian Martinez
- SS Ramiro Pena
- CF Jordan Schafer
- RHP Anthony Varvaro

Brewers
- SS Jeff Bianchi
- 1B Mat Gamel
- LHP Chris Narveson
- RHP Mark Rogers

Cardinals
- NONE

Cubs
- RHP Michael Bowden
- C Welington Castillo
- RHP Jeff Samardzija
- 3B Luis Valbuena
- LHP Travis Wood

Diamondbacks
- NONE

Dodgers
- RHP Ronald Belisario
- LHP Scott Elbert
- C A.J. Ellis

Giants
- 3B Joaquin Arias
- LHP Jose Mijares
- RHP Yusmeiro Petit

Indians
- CF Ezequiel Carrera
- LHP David Huff

Mariners
- 2B Robert Andino
- RHP Josh Kinney
- LF Casper Wells

Marlins
- LHP Michael Dunn
- CF Gorkys Hernandez
- LHP Wade LeBlanc
- CF Justin Ruggiano

Mets
- SS Brandon Hicks

Nationals
- CF Roger Bernadina
- RHP Tyler Clippard
- LHP Ross Detwiler
- 3B Carlos Rivero
- RHP Henry Rodriguez

Orioles
- 1B Chris Davis
- RHP Tommy Hunter
- RHP Jim Johnson
- LHP Troy Patton
- LF Nolan Reimold
- RHP Pedro Strop
- C Taylor Teagarden
- RHP Chris Tillman

Padres
- CF Cameron Maybin
- LHP Eric Stults
- LHP Joe Thatcher
- RHP Dale Thayer

Pirates
- RHP Jeanmar Gomez
- RF Garrett Jones
- RHP Chris Leroux
- RHP James McDonald
- RHP Mark Melancon
- RHP Charlie Morton
- LF Travis Snider
- LF Jose Tabata

Phillies
- 3B Kevin Frandsen
- CF John Mayberry

Rangers
- CF Julio Borbon
- LHP Michael Kirkman
- LHP Brad Mills

Rays
- LF Sam Fuld
- RF Matt Joyce
- C Jose Lobaton
- LHP Jake McGee
- RHP Jeff Niemann
- LHP Cesar Ramos

Red Sox
- 1B Mike Carp
- SS Pedro Ciriaco
- LHP Felix Doubront
- LHP Andrew Miller
- LHP Franklin Morales
- RHP Clayton Mortensen

Reds
- RHP Jose Arredondo
- RHP Homer Bailey
- SS Jason Donald
- 3B Jack Hannahan
- LF Xavier Paul
- RHP Alfredo Simon

Rockies
- RHP Edgmer Escalona
- LF Carlos Gonzalez
- 3B Chris Nelson
- LF Eric Young

Royals
- CF Jarrod Dyson
- RHP Juan Gutierrez
- C Brett Hayes
- RHP Luke Hochevar
- SS Elliot Johnson
- C George Kottaras
- RHP Luis Mendoza
- RHP Felipe Paulino

Tigers
- NONE

Twins
- 3B Trevor Plouffe
- RHP Josh Roenicke
- RHP Anthony Swarzak
- RHP Tim Wood

White Sox
- C Hector Gimenez
- SS Angel Sanchez
- LHP Leyson Septimo

Yankees
- C Francisco Cervelli
- RHP Clay Rapada
- C Chris Stewart

So if you are out of options, is it like that forever? Say you sign a contract with another team after using all of your options, do you get more?

It's like that until you hit 6.000 service time and can file for free agency. No matter if you switch teams, you're still out of options and can't be sent to the minors without passing irrevocable waivers.

Once you hit 6.000 service time and are on a Major League contract, you can't be sent to the minors without your permission.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Girardi: Phil Hughes to start season on DL with bulging disc
Do the yanks have anyone in their rotation that will make 30 starts this season? Kuroda and Pettite are guaranteed to go down at some point. Last I saw CC is dealing with some elbow problems. Nova? Do you even want him making 30 starts? Pineda? lol. Who am I missing?

Malo

Banned
Girardi: Phil Hughes to start season on DL with bulging disc
Might as well put the whole team on the dl.

Do the yanks have anyone in their rotation that will make 30 starts this season? Kuroda and Pettite are guaranteed to go down at some point. Last I saw CC is dealing with some elbow problems. Nova? Do you even want him making 30 starts? Pineda? lol. Who am I missing?
CC had surgery in the offseason, he'll be fine and make his 30 starts. I wouldn't expect Kuroda to go down since he doesn't have a history of injuries and has been very durable. I agree with you on Pettite even though his injury last year was a bit of a fluke. As for Nova, he's the 5th starter, and I wouldn't expect him to make 30 starts anyway unless someone in front of him gets injured. You're missing Phelps, who'll be in the bullpen and a spot starter like he was last season.

bluemax

Banned
Brandon Maurer makes the Mariners starting rotation, becoming the first Mariner rookie to skip from AA to the Majors since Mike Hampton back in 1993.

David Phelps!

Yankees projected disabled list to start the season:

-- LHP Cesar Cabral (fractured elbow in March 2011, placed on 60-day DL 3/23/2013)
-- OF Curtis Granderson (fractured forearm on 2/24/13, out 10 weeks)
-- RHP Phil Hughes (bulging disc in back, placed on 15-day DL 3/27/13)
-- SS Derek Jeter (recovery from broken ankle, questionable for start of season)
-- 3B Alex Rodriguez (recovery from hip surgery, out until at least June, placed on 60-day DL 2/13/13)
-- RHP Michael Pineda (recovery from shoulder surgery, placed on 60-day DL 3/15/13)
-- LHP Clay Rapada (shoulder bursitis, doubtful for start of season)
-- 1B Mark Teixeira (strained wrist tendon on 3/6/13, out 8-10 weeks)

RBH

If ever a movie is made about Evan Gattis’ life (the way he’s going, it might be) then what happened Wednesday could be a climactic scene.

Gattis was told he made the Braves’ opening-day roster, bringing to fruition the catcher’s once-improbable dream of playing in the major leagues. The big Texan teared up when manager Fredi Gonzalez told him he made the team.

“Definitely a day I’ll remember forever,” said Gattis, 26. “It finally happened. I’m trying not to get too excited yet, even though I’ve already cried and everything else.”

Now he’s a prospect with a splendid nickname, El Oso Blanco (“The White Bear”), which Gattis earned while leading the Veneuzulan league in slugging and homers last winter. But not long ago, he was a young guy with an entirely uncertain future, searching for — in his words — meaning to his life.

He’d been out of baseball nearly four years, after walking away from a Texas A&M scholarship without attending a class. Gattis battled depression, anxiety and substance abuse and traversed several western states doing odd jobs, from cook to janitor to ski-lift operator, while seeking out new-age philosophers and spiritual advisors.

After getting the itch to play baseball again, he spent a year of college at Texas-Permian Basin and was drafted by the Braves in the 23rd round in 2010.

Upon learning he’d made the team, Gattis made three phone calls Wednesday morning, the first to his girlfriend of four years, Kim Waters.

“She wanted to be the first to know, and I told her I’d call her before my dad,” said Gattis, who then called his father, Jo, and mother, Melinda. All were in Dallas, and Gattis said they’ll try to come to Atlanta for Monday’s season-opener against Philadelphia.

“Tough ol’ Oso Blanco shed some tears a little bit,” Gonzalez said. “He was excited. We were excited. The whole coaching staff was excited for him.”

Just two years ago, Gattis didn’t make the Class-A Rome roster out of spring training, instead toiling in extended spring training until there was an opening.

Now he’s on the major league opening-day roster and might end up starting as many or even more games than veteran catcher Gerald Laird until starter Brian McCann returns from shoulder-surgery rehab, perhaps in late April or early May.
Laird strained a calf muscle early in camp and had only 22 at-bats before Wednesday.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/gattis-makes-braves-opening-day-roster/nW5Wy/

GattisTag_medium.jpeg

Top Bottom