• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Butterfield going to Boston too?

Fuck. Jays getting leeched of all their managers and coaches.

Maybe this is a good thing.

Fuck yes, no more Valverde or Young. Then trying to sign Sanchez is terrific, he was a great surprise addition to the rotation like Fister was the yeah before.

Braves have exercised the 2013 options of Brian McCann ($12 million), Tim Hudson ($9 million), and Paul Maholm ($6.5 million).

Exercising Maholm pretty much officially means the end of Jair Jurrjens.

I liked Butterfield but really want to see Dwayne Murphy go. I think he's given too much credit for Bautista's transformation.

Agreed. Murphy's at least partly responsible for no one on the team knowing how to take a walk, whereas Mottola seems to help some of the younger hitters -- i.e. Gose and Hechavarria were suddenly semi-competent major leaguers when Mottola got brought up as an assistant hitting coach.

Ben Cherington is going to be on his ass if this season doesn't work out. Last season was such a fucking flop, and everyone blamed it on Valentine. But I don't think they'll take two incredibly shitty years in a row after all of the success with Epstein.

White Sox have re-signed Jake Peavy to a 2-year, $29 million deal with a club option for 2015.

They also declined Kevin Youkilis' $13 million 2013 option, making him a free agent.

cashman

Banned
Ben Cherington is going to be on his ass if this season doesn't work out. Last season was such a fucking flop, and everyone blamed it on Valentine. But I don't think they'll take two incredibly shitty years in a row after all of the success with Epstein.

Yeah, lets fire the gm who got rid of 2 incredibly shitty contracts left by the old gm.

zulux21

White Sox have re-signed Jake Peavy to a 2-year, $29 million deal with a club option for 2015.

They also declined Kevin Youkilis' $13 million 2013 option, making him a free agent.

they also picked up floyd's option.
glad to hear peavy is coming back but it's a bit more expensive then it seems as they have to pay the 4mil buyout of his old contract still apparently. still if he can stay in form it will be a great pick up.

As far as the Cardinals go, I have to imagine they'll let Lohse walk. He's 34 and Boras is his agent... that's gonna be overpriced. We're gonna lose Berkman too, and so we'll free up 24 million by letting them go, but we also have an automatic increase of about 18 million to cover some increasing contracts. So, we have 6 million to work with if we don't want to increase our budget at all, which isn't exactly a lot. I suspect we'll up our budget from $110 million to around $120 million, which would leave us with about $16 million, which is plenty to make one or two key changes (to the middle infield firstly and maybe add a lefty reliever or just some sort of bench utility player).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
they also picked up floyd's option.
glad to hear peavy is coming back but it's a bit more expensive then it seems as they have to pay the 4mil buyout of his old contract still apparently. still if he can stay in form it will be a great pick up.
It's an excellent deal.

As far as the Cardinals go, I have to imagine they'll let Lohse walk. He's 34 and Boras is his agent... that's gonna be overpriced. We're gonna lose Berkman too, and so we'll free up 24 million by letting them go, but we also have an automatic increase of about 18 million to cover some increasing contracts. So, we have 6 million to work with if we don't want to increase our budget at all, which isn't exactly a lot. I suspect we'll up our budget from $110 million to around $120 million, which would leave us with about $16 million, which is plenty to make one or two key changes (to the middle infield firstly and maybe add a lefty reliever or just some sort of bench utility player).
Outside of upgrading our middle infield, we desperately need to get a good right handed bat for the bench. Preferably someone who could also play each OF spot to give Beltran and Holliday a day off here and there. Having Shane Robinson as the best righty PH option is a disaster waiting to happen.

FOOTE

Outside of upgrading our middle infield, we desperately need to get a good right handed bat for the bench. Preferably someone who could also play each OF spot to give Beltran and Holliday a day off here and there. Having Shane Robinson as the best righty PH option is a disaster waiting to happen.

Agree with you both. Loshe is a gonner for sure. Might be good though, Miller was eventually going to get his shot in the bigs anyway.

zulux21

just a heads up for people
mlb the show 2012 is $9.99 (plus tax) with free shipping on gamefly today

gamefly games come with cases that have never been rented out so should come with a valid online pass (if it doesn't you can contact support and they should hook you up) they also come with a risk of having chipped edges for ps3 games but they should play just fine (if they don't you can contact support and should at the very least get a refund, maybe a replacement) overall I have been happy with the quality of gamefly used games.

just a heads up for people
mlb the show 2012 is $9.99 (plus tax) with free shipping on gamefly today

gamefly games come with cases that have never been rented out so should come with a valid online pass (if it doesn't you can contact support and they should hook you up) they also come with a risk of having chipped edges for ps3 games but they should play just fine.

They do roster updates for this year or do they stop when the next game comes out?

zulux21

They do roster updates for this year or do they stop when the next game comes out?
I haven't a clue about roster updates, but I thinkfor MLB the show 2010 they shut off the servers shortly after the 2011 season started (at the very least I know 2010 couldn't play online when i booted it up last offseason :p). Don't know if their policy changed at all with the inclusion of online passes but I doubt they did.

Does anyone know which channel will be airing the Giants parade tomorrow? I'd like to record it if I can. Unfortunately work prevents me from going myself.

Top Bottom