• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mets are in rebuild mode. Short term future should not concern you.
Right, and they are thin at catcher and outfield. You can never have too much pitching, but they need to focus on other areas too. Look at how many guys they had to call up this year because we have such shit depth.

Fenix

Right, and they are thin at catcher and outfield. You can never have too much pitching, but they need to focus on other areas too. Look at how many guys they had to call up this year because we have such shit depth.
But you're getting catchers.

I cannot conceive of any trade, real or theoretical, in which Lucas Duda is important enough to hold it back. Not one.
Mets fans think it's a bad deal for them. You can keep making fun of them.
Did Travis D'Arnaud switch positions and I don't know about it?
But you're getting catchers.
I think this sums it up:
Link is out his damn mind!

EDIT:
Though no reports have been confirmed, most all indicate the Mets will be getting top Blue Jays hitting prospect C Travis D’Arnaud, as well as maybe C John Buck, another player, and one of Noah Syndergaard or Aaron Sanchez (who are considered Toronto’s top two pitching prospects). Blue Jays OF Anthony Gose is not likely to be included.
So not Syndergaard AND Sanchez.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You are getting ONE OF THE BEST catchers available, and he'll be cheap and you get to keep him for six years.
I agree, and that's awesome, but he's not going to be able to do it all himself. I'd feel a lot better if we were keeping Thole and at least getting an outfielder instead of giving one up.

Also, Buck is better than Thole.
Haha, no.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Is he trolling right now, guys? He can't be serious.
You like Buck more than Thole? He was below the Mendoza Line last season. Plus Thole is left-handed, which is much better to complement d'Arnaud.

EDIT - And let's not forget Buck's gonna be 33. Age isn't kind to catchers.

EDIT 2 - Also, screw all you guys.

Fenix

Anyone else get the feeling this trade is going to fall apart? I do.
Nah,

"@Joelsherman1: Keep in mind deal not final Physicals must be passed, #Bluejays will only complete with a Dickey 2-yr extension. But most legwork done #Mets"

kingocfs

The fuck is Toronto thinking?

It's currently a 3-for-4 trade according to Sherman (all Twitter links). Dickey, Thole, and a prospect will go to Toronto for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, John Buck, and a prospect. Sherman says the two unnamed prospects would not be elite guys. He adds that the framework could change since the Blue Jays will send the Mets money to help cover Buck's salary.

Why cant we just pay Edwin Jackson or Shawn Marcum and keep the farm intact?

Cy Young SchMy Young

Because Jackson is only a passable 3rd or good 4th starter type. Marcum is the same thing except he comes with injury concerns.

Dickey is of ace quality, has a bargain contract and he's durable, which is important since Morrow and Johnson have injury issues. Having Dickey as a given at the top of the rotation would give them piece of mind.

This move would put TOR in a good position to make the playoffs given the NYY's austerity and old age, BOS's mediocrity and TB's pullback before the new pieces of their reload mature fully.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I do like Dickey a lot, but I understand that the Mets need to rebuild and his value will never be higher. I just don't like the pieces they are getting back around d'Arnaud. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Enron

Banned
I do like Dickey a lot, but I understand that the Mets need to rebuild and his value will never be higher. I just don't like the pieces they are getting back around d'Arnaud. Maybe my expectations were too high.

He's 38 years old with a very short track record of success. What did you expect?

Syrinx

This whole saga has been quite a ride.

On one hand, I'd love to get another big arm like Syndergaard or (or and, if some of these rumors are true) Sanchez for the Mets to build around. Young, deep pitching staffs seem to be an absolute must nowadays, and since the Mets are in rebuilding mode, it seems even more critical.

But on the other hand, the Mets are pretty shallow in their farm as far as position players go. If that chart from BA earlier in the thread is accurate, Gavin Cecchini is the highest ranked position player in the farm, and though I admittedly don't know much about him, I'm not sure it's a good thing he's at the top of our farm as far as bats go. So, getting a guy like Gose or d'Arnaud would be big for the Mets to build the team around. The problem comes if they have to trade Davis for one of these guys, which almost seems self-defeating, though catchers of d'Arnaud's quality are pretty rare.

Hopefully it all works out. Excited to see what the Mets will make of this.

Quixzlizx

It's not like Gose is a can't miss guy. His bat could easily end up not holding up in the majors. I'm glad Alderson turned him down as a deal centerpiece.

jman2050

You're already getting a premier catching prospect for a 38-year old knuckleballer in a rebuilding season. You could argue that's good enough, but getting even more good prospects for what are essentially worthless pieces (Thole is superfluous and Duda is nothing, though obviously we don't know if it's Duda anymore) makes it a definite win for the Mets.

Of course the final deal could change.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You're already getting a premier catching prospect for a 38-year old knuckleballer in a rebuilding season. You could argue that's good enough, but getting even more good prospects for what are essentially worthless pieces (Thole is superfluous and Duda is nothing, though obviously we don't know if it's Duda anymore) makes it a definite win for the Mets.

Of course the final deal could change.
I know everyone here thinks I'm crazy, but if the reports are true, the prospects are pitchers. But the thing is, the Mets need position players, not pitchers.

Top Bottom