• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Link

The Autumn Wind
You... you think D'Arnaud is going to complement someone? Fuck that, he's starting everyday. Mets can find someone else who hits lefty and catches and play him once a week.
I guess I should have phrased it as Thole complementing d'Arnaud, but I don't see the Mets giving up Thole when catching is the main position they need to bolster.

RBH

The Braves made an “aggressive” offer for Shin-Soo Choo, but ultimately it was the Reds that snagged him in a three-team deal.

The Braves have Angels outfielder/first baseman Mark Trumbo on their radar, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (on Twitter). Earlier today, it was reported that the Halos are very likely to trade either Trumbo or Peter Bourjos for a pitcher. However, Trumbo appears to be less available than Bourjos.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/east-notes-braves-trumbo-yankees-orioles.html

I wondered about Gose since the Mets had Nieuwenhuis and Den Dekker. Gose would've pushed Kirk to RF and made Den Dekker expendable. Fuck.

What are the Jays Top 10 prospects? Baseball America listed the Mets Top 10:
Code:
1 	RHP 	Zack Wheeler
2 	SS 	Gavin Cecchini
3 	OF 	Brandon Nimmo
4 	RHP 	Luis Mateo
5 	RHP 	Rafeal Montero
6 	3B-2B 	Wilmer Flores
7 	RHP 	Michael Fulmer
8 	RHP 	Jeurys Familia
9 	RHP 	Domingo Tapia
10 	RHP 	Cory Mazzoni

rinse82

Wonder if AA knows something we dont about D'Arnaud's longevity as a big league catcher. If he moves to 1B he immediatley becomes much more replaceable. He might be at the height of his value in the eyes of other teams since he's a catcher right now.

Still not fully comfortable with the trade, but it'll make for a hell of an interesting next 2-3 years in this city.

Brinbe

I wondered about Gose since the Mets had Nieuwenhuis and Den Dekker. Gose would've pushed Kirk to RF and made Den Dekker expendable. Fuck.

Code:
1 	RHP 	Zack Wheeler
2 	SS 	Gavin Cecchini
3 	OF 	Brandon Nimmo
4 	RHP 	Luis Mateo
5 	RHP 	Rafeal Montero
6 	3B-2B 	Wilmer Flores
7 	RHP 	Michael Fulmer
8 	RHP 	Jeurys Familia
9 	RHP 	Domingo Tapia
10 	RHP 	Cory Mazzoni

Here's a write-up by Sickels from a few weeks ago http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/12/5/3731258/toronto-blue-jays-top-20-prospects-for-2013

Jon

So the Adams deal ends up being 2 years/12 million after all, which is a great signing!

To balance it out, we signed John Fucking Lannan to a one-year deal. Ughhhhh.

rinse82

Code:
1 	RHP 	Zack Wheeler
2 	SS 	Gavin Cecchini
3 	OF 	Brandon Nimmo
4 	RHP 	Luis Mateo
5 	RHP 	Rafeal Montero
6 	3B-2B 	Wilmer Flores
7 	RHP 	Michael Fulmer
8 	RHP 	Jeurys Familia
9 	RHP 	Domingo Tapia
10 	RHP 	Cory Mazzoni

Per BP

C Travis d'Arnaud
RHP Noah Syndergaard
RHP Aaron Sanchez
LHP Sean Nolin
CF D.J. Davis
RHP Roberto Osuna
LHP Daniel Norris
RHP Marcus Stroman
LHP Matt Smoral
RHP Alberto Tirado

Hmm, If you look at what the Mets are trying to accomplish, they're trying to also build a stable of young power arms. I could see them ask for Noah Syndergaard or Sean Nolin, but again who are the Mets giving up? They cannot give up Ike Davis, although if Gose isn't involved I can't see it being Dickey/Davis. Only way that happens is Toronto decides to give back alot of B/B+ guys.

Fenix

Nolin isn't exactly a power arm, in my understanding.

The latest from Heyman is that if the Jays are including d'Arnaud, they want a prospect back, so probably not looking for Davis.

Nolin isn't exactly a power arm, in my understanding.

The latest from Heyman is that if the Jays are including d'Arnaud, they want a prospect back, so probably not looking for Davis.
really? Strikeouts per 9 is pretty high. I like him more in the sense he looks like a complete guy. If what I'm reading is correct he throws a good FB/CU/decent change, from a lefty I'll take that any day. Only drawback is he looks like he's 2 years away.

Fenix

really? Strikeouts per 9 is pretty high. I like him more in the sense he looks like a complete guy. If what I'm reading is correct he throws a good FB/CU/decent change, from a lefty I'll take that any day. Only drawback is he looks like he's 2 years away.

I don't recall where I read it, but I recall that he was sitting 90-91 on the FB. So not really a power pitcher in the traditional sense.

Here's a writeup including sections from the BP top 10, from a Friday DJF post:
Other bright spots are almost exclusive to the pitching front (with apologies to fifth-ranked DJ Davis), with two that especially jump out being Alberto Tirado (10th) and the surprisingly-high fourth-ranked Sean Nolin– who has already thrown more innings at High-A, and only 16 fewer Double-A innings than Drew Hutchison had under his belt when he was called up.

Nolin is just ten starts behind where Henderson Alvarez was when he first got the call to the Majors– at 88 innings deep into his New Hampshire career, a whopping number compared to Hutchison’s 31.2 over six starts at the level– so it’s not entirely crazy to believe that he could be the club’s real sixth starter. Parks sees him as close, suggesting that “Nolin looks to be on the fast-track, and if he performs well at the Double-A level, he could reach the majors at some point during the season. Some sources think his arsenal is on the way up, especially if the slider develops into a consistent plus offering.”

We’re told that his stuff “doesn’t need major grade jumps” to compete at the highest level, and while he lacks a “high-end out pitch,” he spent 2012 “maturing with each start at the High-A level,” and has the look of a number three starter– and a close one at that.

I don't recall where I read it, but I recall that he was sitting 90-91 on the FB. So not really a power pitcher in the traditional sense.

Here's a writeup including sections from the BP top 10, from a Friday DJF post:
Ah, gotcha. I would imagine being 6'5 helps also.

Also I think Toronto should give Noah Syndergaard. In return the Mets will give Pelfrey, very fair package.

So the Adams deal ends up being 2 years/12 million after all, which is a great signing!

Whats wrong with Lannan? It was only $2.5m and as far as #5 starters go he should be okay.

Fenix

Hey darkside, re: knuckleball in a dome, here are some comments from Wakefield in 2007:

Nobody loves to pitch more with a roof over his head than Wakefield, who improved to 17-8 with a 3.76 ERA when pitching indoors.

"This mound is probably the best mound in the American League," said Wakefield. "Pitching inside is always a big plus for me. Just the atmosphere that the dome creates, I think the ball moves a little more inside vs. outside when you have a lot of weather conditions that can probably hinder something. I'm just thankful it was cold and the roof was closed."

Rest assured the Blue Jays will be rooting for clear skies and warmth the next time Wakefield comes to town.

"You get much more action on a knuckleball in a dome," said Blue Jays DH Frank Thomas. "He threw a couple there and I was like, 'Wow.' I was amazed. With the movement on that ball, there were times Mirabelli couldn't even catch it."

Don't worry. Lannan always pitches like Cy Young against the Braves. Really pissed that they still have to deal with this asshole next year.

Reason Gose is not in the deal is that apparently Syndergaard is.

Mets might also be getting Buck.
Wow Syndergaard? There's no way Jays aren't getting Flores back then. Probably Mejia/Tapia going out also.

... why would the Mets want Buck? He's still under contract for a good chunk of change. Do they not think D'Arnaud is ready to start the season in the majors?

EDIT: OH SHIT

The deal includes seven players: The Jays will receive three players and the Mets will receive four. The Mets would send Dickey, Josh Thole, and Lucas Duda to Toronto. Toronto would send John Buck, Noah Syndergaard and Aaron Sanchez to the Mets
Mets give up ZERO PROSPECTS.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Whoops, that's not confirmed by anyone else yet. Nevermind I want to see someone else confirm that.
That's a terrible deal for the Mets. John Buck is hot garbage and a righty, plus we give up an outfielder (who's also a power-hitter) without getting one back.

I hope this isn't true.

jman2050

If the Mets pull that off I take back every mocking thing I've ever said about them.

That's a terrible deal for the Mets. John Buck is hot garbage and a righty, plus we give up an outfielder (who's also a power-hitter) without getting one back.

I hope this isn't true.

I cannot conceive of any trade, real or theoretical, in which Lucas Duda is important enough to hold it back. Not one.

I hope this isn't true.
... are you mad? D'Arnaud/Syndrgaard/Sanchez for Dickey, LOLle and Duda? What's wrong with you?
Wait, John Buck in lieu of d'Arnaud or Buck AND d'Arnaud?
Buck + D'Arnaud.

Twitter link

EDIT:
If Syndegaard and d'Arnaud are in the Mets prospect coming back will have to be good
Lucas Duda and Josh Thole are fine prospects, I assure you.

Link

The Autumn Wind
... are you mad? D'Arnaud/Syndrgaard/Sanchez for Dickey, LOLle and Duda? What's wrong with you?

Buck + D'Arnaud.

Twitter link
They aren't pieces that the Mets need. The goal was to get outfield and catching help, and they're getting neither in this deal. (John Buck doesn't count.)

EDIT - Yeah, d'Arnaud is supposed to be a stud, but now we're right back to needing a lefty catcher in this case.

EDIT: I will say this... I'm starting to get a bad feeling if this deal is that big, Niese or Ike Davis might be involved.
They aren't pieces that the Mets need. The goal was to get outfield and catching help, and they're getting neither in this deal. (John Buck doesn't count.)

Did Travis D'Arnaud switch positions and I don't know about it?

Top Bottom