• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

Quick

Banned
Does anyone know if this game takes into account Colorado's elevation in their home games? I've always wondered if it was easier to hit home runs there ingame or not.

Wind speed, direction, and weather in general play a factor, but I don't think they went as detailed as adding elevation as a factor.

eznark

Banned
Does anyone know if this game takes into account Colorado's elevation in their home games? I've always wondered if it was easier to hit home runs there ingame or not.

It's been a neutral park for like five years now because of the humidor.

Pre-humidor Coors would be a cool historic park.

coors is still bad. just less softball scores. but a lot of that decrease should also take into account steroids coming down as well. dante bichettte was not that good. its still very much a hitters park. but i hear they have great school systems.
mike_hampton.jpg

SOLD!

Bummer! I searched everywhere for a deal and then finally gave up and just bought it. As it turns out, there is one. As a heads up for anyone who still doesn't have it: Best Buy has it for Reward Zone members for $10 off, plus you get a ticket to go see the movie 42. Saturday is the last day of the deal.

EDIT: Hey, the deal is good for the Vita version, too!

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I'm a total beginner here. Haven't played any The Show before and have just started with beginner mode in MLB 13. But I find the tutorial to be lacking. It tells me what I can do, but not really how, or more importantly, why. Or I've missed something.

Could someone tell me why and how I should guess a pitch? Don't really know what I'm doing, just pressing the buttons and "aiming" with a red triangle, but it seems that I keep hitting those homeruns anyway.

And sometimes when pitching, there are some red fields within the strike zone. What are those for?

Help here would be highly appreciated! :)

I'm a total beginner here. Haven't played any The Show before and have just started with beginner mode in MLB 13. But I find the tutorial to be lacking. It tells me what I can do, but not really how, or more importantly, why. Or I've missed something.

Could someone tell me why and how I should guess a pitch? Don't really know what I'm doing, just pressing the buttons and "aiming" with a red triangle, but it seems
that I keep hitting those homeruns anyway.

And sometimes when pitching, there are some red fields within the strike zone. What are those for?

Ill let someone else explain the hitting because I'm on my phone and its a lot to explain. But when pitching the darker the red area is the more the player batting is skilled at hitting a ball in that location.

So if you hang a curveball down and away to a hitter who is good at hitting down and
away there are better odds that he will crush it.

FrankWza

Could someone tell me why and how I should guess a pitch? Don't really know what I'm doing, just pressing the buttons and "aiming" with a red triangle, but it seems that I keep hitting those homeruns anyway.

the red field is still just a general area. if youre using zone type hitting you will need to use the analog as well. so if you guess fastball away and the pitch is up and away you will need to aim the analog stick in that direction. as far as using guess pitch, dont use it as a crutch. if you look at your previous at bats and you see a pattern developing. or, if it is a classic fastball count like 2-1 or 3-1 you can use that to guess pitch. otherwise, youre better off learning how to judge pitches and the strike zone.

turnbuckle

Update 1.18 Fixes a bunch of shit

Some highlights (to me)

- In offline and online games, there was an occasional hitch/millisecond delay just as the pitcher would release the pitch.

- In online games, there was a crash when putting a Pinch Hitter into the game. Multiple pinch hit substitutions in the same inning could eventually result in a crash. This was fixed.

- Online - Timing batting was available for users in an online game. This setting was never intended for online gameplay and has been removed.

- Within an online game created through a Game Room, users did not have the ability to Concede or Friendly quit through the Quit option. Concede/Friendly quit has been added to the Quit game menu.

- Use Custom rosters in Leagues. Create some custom (created players) players and upload them to the rosters and form a league that way. Once the league is formed, make sure every teams roster can be generated. Specifically, any team that has a created player on that roster. Key step to this is when uploading a Roster, user must choose LOAD ROSTER FROM HD or LOAD ROSTER FROM VAULT

- Create a league (Load weekly roster during creation process) and have any user control the Minnesota Twins - After activating the league, go to Manage Roster (for the Twins) and generate lineups and rosters. At this point (In PROD), user would receive an error message and the lineups would never be generated. Error Message: (Sorry, we could not generate a valid roster/lineup/rotation with the given players) Key step to this is when uploading a Roster, user must choose LOAD WEEKLY ROSTER.

- Online user vs user games - Concede/Friendly Quit option has been added to the quit menu in games formed and played through Game Rooms

Server Fixes::

Using Play Now Rated games, users were staying at the Rookie level and not graduated to Veteran, All-Star, Hof, Legend. They should now move up and down based on Rating.

# Game reset fix for playoff games
>> Playoff games were unable to be reset. Now they can.

# Fixed league injury healing
When a player got injured if you set him to Inactive, "games returned" would never reduce. If you left him on the Active roster, it would count down. So doing it right punished users with a bug.

# DD: Arena card colors adjusted to match new number ranges
>> A+ cards should now be platinum, platinum cards should always be A+. Using the Recylcer should provide a platinum card.

# DD: Quality generation moved to after the aptitude is picked
>> Same test as above.

# DD: APT cards cannot be sold for wrong prices anymore
>> To repro, you can create a buy order for a high Aptitude DD card. You yourself (or another user) could put up a sell order with a lower Aptitude DD card and qualify for that Buy Order.

# DD: arena game summaries matched to histories by game_id

No mention of the catcher glitch and a developer confirmed the DD setting was set to All-Star.

Pretty much the entirety of The Show Nation forums agree that hitting on All-Star this year is as easy or even easier than veteran was in previous versions. Basic line from the devs is that this is working as intended (unfortunately to me, fortunately to some others).

The general consensus this year is that Legendary is about equal to previous versions' Hall of fame; Hall of fame about the same as previous versions' All-Star; All Star about the same as old veteran; veteran about the same as old rookie/beginner; rookie/beginner about the same as Super Baseball 2020

--

Other thing I noticed when playing a game locally with my brother - some of the textures they use in Comerica Park are downright terrible. Like PSOne era bad. The signs with the Tiger D that has the Tiger going through the D in particular.

Marleyman

Banned

Some highlights (to me)

No mention of the catcher glitch and a developer confirmed the DD setting was set to All-Star.

Pretty much the entirety of The Show Nation forums agree that hitting on All-Star this year is as easy or even easier than veteran was in previous versions. Basic line from the devs is that this is working as intended (unfortunately to me, fortunately to some others).

The general consensus this year is that Legendary is about equal to previous versions' Hall of fame; Hall of fame about the same as previous versions' All-Star; All Star about the same as old veteran; veteran about the same as old rookie/beginner; rookie/beginner about the same as Super Baseball 2020

Thanks for this. I hit on veteran right now and find it easier; I guess I should jump up to All Star.

Glad they fixed stuttering and K rate totals in franchise. But was hoping they would fix the way runners round third (It looks like they go in slow-motion for a bit then speed up back to normal.) It looks bad and I always have to keep guys on third even after a standard base hit even with a fast baserunner.

turnbuckle

Glad they fixed stuttering and K rate totals in franchise. But was hoping they would fix the way runners round third (It looks like they go in slow-motion for a bit then speed up back to normal.) It looks bad and I always have to keep guys on third even after a standard base hit even with a fast baserunner.

I've only played a dozen games or so thus far so I haven't experienced some things as much as others. I'm just quoting what the moderator said in regards to baserunning this year, whether it's a good explanation or not :p

Basserunning Help

Last year's game had some unnatural physics.. This year the Devs re done the core animation and how a baserunner momentum now takes different paths when approaching a base. Example 3rd to Home, The key to execution is your command timing on the basepath. Late instructions will show your baserunner slow down to gather their footing since they are running in more of a linear motion rather then rounding a base like 3rd.

There is much more to this that what I wrote, but to sum it up in nutshell form MLB'13 running game is functioning properly as designed with the changes they made this year. Which means it's not considered a bug or an issue although many may totally go against the grain and continue to sa or think otherwise.

friz898

That is a horrible amount of glitches/bugs for a newly released game. WTF?

I don't know man, I'm amazed at just how many modes and options are in The Show. For example, I spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in RttS, never touched real games or Diamond Dynasty... what does that say for their product? I mean, that's impressive.

With that amount of content, I'm not surprised if something somewhere has a bug or glitch, or oversight.

I've only played a dozen games or so thus far so I haven't experienced some things as much as others. I'm just quoting what the moderator said in regards to baserunning this year, whether it's a good explanation or not :p

Basserunning Help

So players running in quicksand everytime is natural physics? Bleh. Weak. If it is indeed a timing thing, how come the game doesn't explain the mechanics of it or it being shown up in the tutorial? Sounds like a run-around of the issue. (terrible, I couldn't resist)

Yearly sports franchise, bro.
I don't know man, I'm amazed at just how many modes and options are in The Show. For example, I spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in RttS, never touched real games or Diamond Dynasty... what does that say for their product? I mean, that's impressive.

With that amount of content, I'm not surprised if something somewhere has a bug or glitch, or oversight.
Alot of those bugs didn't exist in previous itinerations. Why they're suddenly popping up means coders are tweaking content but getting sloppier about it.

I mean it's baseball. If you played previous versions the jump from last year to this isn't all that big. MLB 10 to 11, and 11 to 12 had big jumps.

abrack08

Some highlights (to me)

--

Other thing I noticed when playing a game locally with my brother - some of the textures they use in Comerica Park are downright terrible. Like PSOne era bad. The signs with the Tiger D that has the Tiger going through the D in particular.

Nothing about the first-pitch meatball bug? Where the first pitch of the inning/atbat is usually a fastball around the middle unless you call time? At least that's been my experience, there was a fairly long thread on OS about it too. I've still only played RTTS, but if I don't call a timeout every at-bat, I almost always get a fastball down the middle. If I do call a timeout, I actually get pitched to like normal. Sliders low and away and all that.

Alot of those bugs didn't exist in previous itinerations. Why they're suddenly popping up means coders are tweaking content but getting sloppier about it.

I mean it's baseball. If you played previous versions the jump from last year to this isn't all that big. MLB 10 to 11, and 11 to 12 had big jumps.

They've probably been developing The Show 14 for PS4 concurrently. I wager they don't have a super giant Ubisoft-sized team on it.

They still didn't fix the fucking bug where alphabetized sorting gets all fucked up in the Online Vaults when you skip to the next page.

Fucking unbelievable. How do you break that and not fix it in two patches?

I hope they fixed up the team logo art during instant replays. Anyone else notice that? It's all pixellated low res.

In other news, I'm going to BB to get the Vita version at lunch! I'm excited!

I gave pulse pitching a try when they rolled it out last year, and I haven't gone back. Feels good to me.

And zone hitting with no GP.

I tried pulse a try. It seemed like a good way to streamline meter pitching.

But it sucks on Vita.
The pulse pitching option on the Vita once again features a delay when attempting to stop the ring to determine the accuracy of the pitch. This only occurs on the Vita version of the game, forcing myself to choose a different pitching method only on the Vita version of the game.

Pitching overall is chore. No idea why they felt you needed the ability to aim at batters heads or toes messes up the feel. The pitching area of aim should be restricted close to how wide a batter can aim with zone hitting. As it is now you have to be extra delicate to aim exactly where you want to.

Operation Sports Full Minors 2013 roster is 80% done now, should be on track for 1-2 days within Opening Day. Guess I'll pick it up next week.

Bog

Junior Ace
Made it to the Majors in RTTS only to have the game crash every time I load my save (Vita). Thanks, guys.

I tried pulse a try. It seemed like a good way to streamline meter pitching.

But it sucks on Vita.

Pitching overall is chore. No idea why they felt you needed the ability to aim at batters heads or toes messes up the feel. The pitching area of aim should be restricted close to how wide a batter can aim with zone hitting. As it is now you have to be extra delicate to aim exactly where you want to.

If they still have touchscreen aiming, I though that was WAY easier than using the analog.

eznark

Banned
But it sucks on Vita.

That is an awful idea.

FrankWza

the issue with ps3 to vita pulse might be the analog to digital buttons. i use meter so im not sure but i see the timing a common complaint between the 2. also, the vita version has half the frame rate.

Operation Sports Full Minors 2013 roster is 80% done now, should be on track for 1-2 days within Opening Day. Guess I'll pick it up next week.

Eagerly waiting for this. I've been pretty much playing nothing but RTTS.

Haven't made any slider adjustments for fielders yet but I think I'll have to do something for franchise.

friz898

So I have been waiting until closer to opening day (which is this weekend for people who live in a cave) to confirm this question:

So with the new Season Live roster mode, am I too understand that everyday my Vita will connect to PSN or MLB servers of some kind, and download the latest roster and then present it to me in the game? Is it actually that awesome?

You're telling me, that it possibly may be as awesome as:

"Braves announced this morning that McCann has come off the disabled list, Gattis sent to Triple A Gwinnett" and when I load up my vita later that night at 9pm or something to play that days game that it will have already connected and made the necessary transactions?

I also read somewhere that the mode supposedly goes so far as to download that day's batting line up and starting pitcher?

I mean, this is the stuff I read, but it can't possibly be that awesome can it?

So I have been waiting until closer to opening day (which is this weekend for people who live in a cave) to confirm this question:

So with the new Season Live roster mode, am I too understand that everyday my Vita will connect to PSN or MLB servers of some kind, and download the latest roster and then present it to me in the game? Is it actually that awesome?

You're telling me, that it possibly may be as awesome as:

"Braves announced this morning that McCann has come off the disabled list, Gattis sent to Triple A Gwinnett" and when I load up my vita later that night at 9pm or something to play that days game that it will have already connected and made the necessary transactions?

I also read somewhere that the mode supposedly goes so far as to download that day's batting line up and starting pitcher?

I mean, this is the stuff I read, but it can't possibly be that awesome can it?

Apparently it accesses the mlb.com rosters for accurate information. The closer to game time you play the show live game for that day, the more accurate it will be.

It's not a franchise mode, you're essentially playing an exhibition game with stat information from the season that is current up to the day you're playing it on.

friz898

Apparently it accesses the mlb.com rosters for accurate information. The closer to game time you play the show live game for that day, the more accurate it will be.

It's not a franchise mode, you're essentially playing an exhibition game with stat information from the season that is current up to the day you're playing it on.

Did I say awesome enough times in my last post?

Why is this not a bigger deal? lol

Did I say awesome enough times in my last post?

Why is this not a bigger deal? lol

As cool as it is, it's essentially an exhibition game for that day. A lot more people are interested in franchise where you can track your own stats and make your own decisions.

I think I'll be playing both daily. There's something fun about playing the game daily with all the stats and lineups from that day. Should be fun.

friz898

As cool as it is, it's essentially an exhibition game for that day. A lot more people are interested in franchise where you can track your own stats and make your own decisions.

I think I'll be playing both daily. There's something fun about playing the game daily with all the stats and lineups from that day. Should be fun.

Well I usually spend the majority of my time in RttS, I did 11 full seasons last year with my first baseman, not a single sim'ed game. The most I've played a single game since MMOs. So I hear ya on that...i rarely ever touch exhibition, online, or season modes.

But this? This is awesome. I have mlb.tv, so I envision watching the braves game on my Droid DNA, then loading up the Vita game of the day right afterwards if not during. I'm excited if 3 back-to-back posts didn't make it too obvious.

Well I usually spend the majority of my time in RttS, I did 11 full seasons last year with my first baseman, not a single sim'ed game. The most I've played a single game since MMOs. So I hear ya on that...i rarely ever touch exhibition, online, or season modes.

But this? This is awesome. I have mlb.tv, so I envision watching the braves game on my Droid DNA, then loading up the Vita game of the day right afterwards if not during. I'm excited if 3 back-to-back posts didn't make it too obvious.

That's cool. I can imagine loading up my Vita and doing the same every-so-often as well. Especially for big games.

That is an awful idea.

I am not talking about limited to the strike zone. It is an awful idea to have a huge area to aim with a joystick with not even half a cm of play in a direction. It's like if your mouse sensitivity is on super max.

JGPwUIzl.jpg

Top and bottom area of aim is ok. But they should take away 1/3 of the the left and right and make it like the smaller square I drew. Or they could of done it where you select a pitch you hold which quadrant you are gonna throw to so when you press X to start the meter you are only fine tuning the spot a foot in any direction.

eznark

Banned
It's a terrible idea. You basically can't intentionally throw unhittable pitches with your zone. I want to throw high outside heat 1-2 with a runner on or spike a curveball 0-2.

It's a terrible idea. You basically can't intentionally throw unhittable pitches with your zone. I want to throw high outside heat 1-2 with a runner on or spike a curveball 0-2.

You are wrong.

Spiking a curve ball would be unaffected in this game the break is built in to the pitch you aren't pin-pointing the end of break location, plus I don't have much problem with the height of the zone.
Pitchers don't waste pitches 3 feet off the plate. Half that is fine. That is 18" about equal to the plate itself.

Those pitches would be more or less uninhabitable. Depending on hitters contact attributes and if they are using a contact strength of swing and if they guess the pitch type it is equated by the game code to be maybe 90% miss if they swing even with the best hitter.

eznark

Banned
Have you seen the coverage they gave hitters this year? There are guys who are nearly impossible to strike out. It's like Vlad on steroids. You need the wide zones. Plus, how do you bean a guy with your zone?

Have you seen the coverage they gave hitters this year? There are guys who are nearly impossible to strike out. It's like Vlad on steroids. You need the wide zones. Plus, how do you bean a guy with your zone?

Hitting would need to be tweaked if you used a more real to life pitch zone.

Or this trouble of needing smoother and simpler aiming could be avoided by just using the current map but re-centering the aiming to a smaller area when you select a pitch, just like bringing up the precise aim in a FPS.

Throwing at guys was always holding a couple buttons when pitching in most baseball games I played before, easy fix.

eznark

Banned
I don't want to auto hit them though, it's nice to have the possibility of throwing behind them. I don't know, I've had zero problems with the strike zone. I've actually felt it hard to throw balls with the strike zone turned off. Like they made the feedback from the rumble more subtle.

I don't want to auto hit them though, it's nice to have the possibility of throwing behind them. I don't know, I've had zero problems with the strike zone. I've actually felt it hard to throw balls with the strike zone turned off. Like they made the feedback from the rumble more subtle.

I forget to post I am Only basing this on the Vita version.

The rumble seems like an interesting way to feel out the edge of the zone. Other games like Griffey on N64 the pitchers aim mark would fade to invisible after you started moving it. It was a great solution for 2 player games or to not allow perfect aim against the computer. High Heat was most secret in how you could just pick the basic tic-tac-toe area and whether you wanted to try to throw a ball or strike.

Top Bottom