• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

G-Fex

G-Fex, you're doing it wrong. It's Ma and Pa shops that break street date without a damn. Expecting Gamestop to is just laughable and FYE still exists?

honestly there's no mom and pop shops around here.

There's my backup guy who sells a ton of retro games but he's not getting it til monday.

G-Fex

No one has Flea Markets with game booths near them?

my flea market ....yeah its...too dangerous

I was watching the BGB stream they were playing MLB 13 again today and I met a new friend, signed up for their website.

I really would like to try that diamond dynasty

Quick

Banned
Pre-ordered the PS3 copy on PSN, and I get $10 back for it in April. I was hoping for a digital bundle just to get it all in one go, but it's not a big deal.

I've been buying The Show since MLB 09. I even had the PSP versions for when I was out. I bought a retail copy of MLB 12 on Vita and PS3, and I ended up eventually trading in the PS3 version, because I'd always just play the Vita version anyway, but being able to transfer RTTS saves was an awesome feature that I took full advantage of.

Most likely 2K13 is really similar to 2K12. I doubt they put much into it, the MLB just didn't want the 360/PC to have no MLB game I think. So they gave 2K a good deal on the license.
I thought there was no more MLB 2k?

Take-Two has had terrible license deal with MLB and they were losing millions every year. They tried to change the deal with the MLB a few years back but MLB didn't want to change the deal so they have just been phoning it in for years waiting for the deal to expire.

The MLB deal with TTWO finally expired but it seems no one wanted to go up against MLB The Show. This year could have been a year w/o baseball for the xbox 360. So MLB and Take-Two created a single year contract for another year of MLB 2K13. And since it is just for a single year, I doubt 2K put much effort into it.

I wonder what will happen next year. And why didn't EA Sports step up to the plate this year?

beason52

Neo Member
Take-Two has had terrible license deal with MLB and they were losing millions every year. They tried to change the deal with the MLB a few years back but MLB didn't want to change the deal so they have just been phoning it in for years waiting for the deal to expire.

The MLB deal with TTWO finally expired but it seems no one wanted to go up against MLB The Show. This year could have been a year w/o baseball for the xbox 360. So MLB and Take-Two created a single year contract for another year of MLB 2K13. And since it is just for a single year, I doubt 2K put much effort into it.

I wonder what will happen next year. And why didn't EA Sports step up to the plate this year?

Perhaps EA is prepping an MVP revival for next gen? No point in launching a title this year if they are deep into development for PS4/nextbox. Who knows though. Maybe the studio that made it makes something else now and they don't have a qualified team, I have no idea about that.
The Show on PS4 will look incredible. I just hope they keep the RTTS transfer with Vita feature no matter how big of a gap in visuals there is.

Perhaps EA is prepping an MVP revival for next gen? No point in launching a title this year if they are deep into development for PS4/nextbox. Who knows though. Maybe the studio that made it makes something else now and they don't have a qualified team, I have no idea about that.
The Show on PS4 will look incredible. I just hope they keep the RTTS transfer with Vita feature no matter how big of a gap in visuals there is.

Good point. Not much use to develop a whole new game for the current console generation this year. I guess we'll see what happens next year.

EA's MVP team has long since disbanded. But I'm sure they'll have no problem hiring people for a new team. But who knows how the game will turn out. 2K's efforts certainly have not been a home run. But EA's basketball efforts have been laughable as well. These are big complex projects and sometimes they just do not turn out like you'd want them to.

I used to be one of the people who wanted to see EA Sports return to baseball again, but then I realized that there's not much more I want than The Show. People who cling to MVP today are a little weird. I loved that game too, but it's 2013, and The Show is orders of magnitude superior.

I've only had one qualm with the series for the last few years: I wish they would let rosters carry over from title to title. There are those guys that make classic rosters (like 1994 season, 2001 season), but you can't bring them over from game to game... it's almost wasteful. You're putting so much work into something that'll only be relevant for a few months before the next version comes out. It can't be that hard to port rosters -- even if they released a PC tool or something it would be great.

Just recorded a Phillies @ Braves game on MLB 13 with projected 25-mans from MLBDepthCharts but it's over two hours long...who would watch that??

FrankWza

I used to be one of the people who wanted to see EA Sports return to baseball again, but then I realized that there's not much more I want than The Show. People who cling to MVP today are a little weird. I loved that game too, but it's 2013, and The Show is orders of magnitude superior.

except for hitters eye. if this game had it they wouldn't need to re do all theyve done to try and balance hitting.

For the hell of it, decided to clean up some trophies in '12. Went for the King Slayer (Legend difficulty against #1 ranked team). It took this long...

EqJZt2P.jpeg

Fuck it, I'm going to upload the whole game. It was a great game. I tried not to speed through it so you could see the animations and the experience. No commentary though, although a few times I regretted not having my mic on when the bullshit strike zone reared its ugly head. I'll have notations in the video info where each inning starts so you can just skip to it.

RS4-

Awesome 2k13 moment: I hit the cutoff man in my player, who decides to hold onto the ball while the hitter completes an in the park home run.

Sounds like I need the Show.

turnbuckle

The Vita version of last year looked fine to me- it was the frame rate issues that bothered me

Yup. I never expected it to look identical to the PS3 but the visuals were impressive nonetheless. The frame rate was abysmal to the point of game breaking for me though. I bought both versions and ended up giving the Vita version away after a few weeks because I couldn't bring myself to put up with it any longer.

I can't even imagine what the Show is going to look like on the PS4. I'll probably be able to convince my wife that it's an actual, live MLB game.

Any improvements to the manager mode? my biggest complaint with the MLB The Show games is that there is no way to quickly simulate a game while still having some control over it, for Franchise mode. FI you do the "Manager" mode, it takes longer than it would to play the game... If you do the simulate, then it's just a quick sim.

Basically, I'm hoping for something similar to MVP 2005, where it had a "manager mode" that allowed you to quickly get through a full game in 3 - 5 minutes, and jump in at any point if you wanted to. That mode also didn't have any loading times, too, which made it really easy to quickly get through some games.

I just don't have the stamina to play a full 162 game season, and hate having to totally give up control and do the simulate.

maybe this has always been there and I've missed it tho

ElNino

Any improvements to the manager mode? my biggest complaint with the MLB The Show games is that there is no way to quickly simulate a game while still having some control over it, for Franchise mode. FI you do the "Manager" mode, it takes longer than it would to play the game... If you do the simulate, then it's just a quick sim.

Basically, I'm hoping for something similar to MVP 2005, where it had a "manager mode" that allowed you to quickly get through a full game in 3 - 5 minutes, and jump in at any point if you wanted to. That mode also didn't have any loading times, too, which made it really easy to quickly get through some games.

I just don't have the stamina to play a full 162 game season, and hate having to totally give up control and do the simulate.

maybe this has always been there and I've missed it tho
I would like this as well. I like to sim some of my franchise games but I hate that it takes over all manager actions when doing so, lineups being the biggest one.

RS4-

If you want to buy 2k13, don't. I already found an exploit that allows you to make players drop fly balls.

Almost reminds me of the old Show exploit that let you steal home with 100% success.

friz898

lol at the 2K hate.

Someone, who has nothing better to do, help me out here. (I know answers can be found with a bit of googling).

My baseball history is basically

8-bit/16-bit: Everything. Bases Loaded, RBI, Baseball Simulator ...
PS1: Triple Play. (Was godly. Triple Play 98 especially)

Nothing for years.....

Baseball game for PC... was new in 2005/2006. What was it? I have no idea. Had a song by Fastball (the group). I played the crap out of that game. Played alot of home run derby. Wish the show had a derby with targets like this.

2006-2011 avoided all baseball games.

2012: Fell in love with the Show '12. Now brand loyal.

So my two real questions in this waste-of-your-time post:

1. What was that game I played for PC 2005/2006
2. Does PC have ANYthing anymore besides the failed 2K series?

daycru

Would love an MVP revival. The Show is objectively great, but I've never been able to get the hitting down during the 2-3 years I got it.

graywolf323

lol at the 2K hate.

Someone, who has nothing better to do, help me out here. (I know answers can be found with a bit of googling).

My baseball history is basically

8-bit/16-bit: Everything. Bases Loaded, RBI, Baseball Simulator ...
PS1: Triple Play. (Was godly. Triple Play 98 especially)

Nothing for years.....

Baseball game for PC... was new in 2005/2006. What was it? I have no idea. Had a song by Fastball (the group). I played the crap out of that game. Played alot of home run derby. Wish the show had a derby with targets like this.

2006-2011 avoided all baseball games.

2012: Fell in love with the Show '12. Now brand loyal.

So my two real questions in this waste-of-your-time post:

1. What was that game I played for PC 2005/2006
2. Does PC have ANYthing anymore besides the failed 2K series?

pretty sure MVP had a song by Fastball back in '05

and sadly no PC only has the shitty 2K games unless you want something like Out of the Park

friz898

pretty sure MVP had a song by Fastball back in '05

and sadly no PC only has the shitty 2K games unless you want something like Out of the Park

Thanks. I will have to look up MVP baseball and figure out who made it and what happen to it.

Edit: After a bit of googling, it was MVP 2005. Thanks for your help. It's not on the official soundtrack list, but found it listed in a Fastball forum. Song was "Out of My Head"

graywolf323

Thanks. I will have to look up MVP baseball and figure out who made it and what happen to it.

Edit: After a bit of googling, it was MVP 2005. Thanks for your help. It's not on the official soundtrack list, but found it listed in a Fastball forum. Song was "Out of My Head"

thought so, I played that game at on too and remember the song since it was one of the few that didn't get old after a while at least for me

glad I could help :)

as to what happened to MVP, 2K bought exclusive 3rd party rights to MLB

Top Bottom