• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm buying the Vita version if its a considerable improvement from '12. Lots of impressions tomorrow, please!

1. What was that game I played for PC 2005/2006
2. Does PC have ANYthing anymore besides the failed 2K series?

Probably MVP 2005. It's arguably the best baseball game ever made, though the Show is probably better overall. The Show has surpassed it in recent years, but MVP had the right balance for me and I never played a baseball game as much as I did that game. I recognize the Show as the superior game, but I still prefer MVP '05 to any of them.

Kccitystar

The only song that I remember by Fastball was "Morning Star" and that was in Triple Play Baseball.

Also, I'm not really sure where to put this, but a lot of guys from the MVP Baseball community are discussing filming a documentary in regards to MVP Baseball, it's legacy in regards to all the mods made for it, the community that has kept the game alive and relevant, and the lasting effect MVP 2005 has had on baseball video games since EA lost the MLB rights to 2K in 2005. It should be fun ;)

Anyway, I've been playing MLB 13 for the past couple of days (mom and pop stores ftw) and while I would usually skip a year for sports titles, they really fixed a few things based on feedback from last year's version of the game and it really plays a much better game of baseball. There are more hit varieties and hitting always feels like you are in control of your swing at all times.

I haven't touched manager mode yet but I will tonight and report back on what I can find out.

thought so, I played that game at on too and remember the song since it was one of the few that didn't get old after a while at least for me

glad I could help :)

as to what happened to MVP, 2K bought exclusive 3rd party rights to MLB

Yep, its over with now. In fact EA has released a baseball game..in Japan. No plans to bring it here and said returning to the MVP series is a thought but nothing more

Izick

The commercial is great. They rub it in Cutch's face that the Pirates are never going to go anywhere as a team.

Being playing for an hour, and I can say this is one helluva upgrade in looks and feel. I'm loving the Defense Shifts in Real Time, they upgraded it and it is working great and saving for each batter I wan't it to. Guess Pitch has been overhauled and redone in its visual presentation and makes it much harder, this will be a welcoming addition for online down in the zone fastball sitters.

The Presentation has been ramped up lots of new OSD's, and Lyons is very fluid in his commentary.

I spent a quick moment in RTTS, and it takes somegetting use too but once you stay patient its really good. It makes you wanna work that much harder to get out of the ghetto AA leagues quickly.

EDIT: Graphics are better, the lighting has received an upgrade the day night transition is on point.

Nice to hear the commentary is good with the new addition. That is the only thing I believe 2K has on The Show, its commentary is dynamic and fluid with every play.

I have it. The graphics have been marginally improved but there is a different. The ball size in the field has been brought down to a realistic size. The game seems smoother in the two games I've played so far.

There are also a few cutscenes between plays this year that add depth to the experience.

Cutscenes? Is it still less than the console version? I was pretty disappointed with 12 on the Vita. When you hit a homerun or a game winning run, there's no replay, cutscene, or anything. I want to at least see the homerun hitter run around the base.

Does 13 improve in these areas?

↑ I really hope so too.

I'm no programmer but I find it bullshit that they are telling us that there so no way they could add the features of the PS3 version in. If it won't fit on the cartridge, offer a download pack- similar to Battlefield 3 and Sleeping Dogs, that gives us the option to have an improved game.

MC_Hify

I've been wanting to check out The Show for a while now, particularly since I was really into watching the playoffs last year. The RPGesque mechanics of building your own player and managing their career looks pretty cool too. But the last time I tried to play a modern sports games I found it baffling and I was surprised to find a total lack of a tutorial, something that is in every other game in other genres it seems. Maybe I'll check out the game in a few months after it's dropped in price a little bit. Hopefully this new beginner mode will help me get into the game then.

Derrick01

Banned
↑ I really hope so too.

I'm no programmer but I find it bullshit that they are telling us that there so no way they could add the features of the PS3 version in. If it won't fit on the cartridge, offer a download pack- similar to Battlefield 3 and Sleeping Dogs, that gives us the option to have an improved game.

I remember them complaining they couldn't even fit all of the sound from the PS3 version on to a standard Vita cart (which is around 3.5GB or so) without compressing the hell out of it. It's a wonder they got as much as they did on it. I guess due to low vita sales they don't want to pay for a bigger Vita card.

Quick

Banned
Downloading the PS3 version right now. It's 23GB in total: 12GB for the game, 11GB for the "Additonal Content", and something tiny for the online pass. Hopefully it's done by the morning.

Jas

Downloading the PS3 version right now. It's 23GB in total: 12GB for the game, 11GB for the "Additonal Content", and something tiny for the online pass. Hopefully it's done by the morning.

I am too, pretty much had to delete every game on my hard drive, haha

Thinking about setting up a livestream since the embargo is up. What would people want to see, if anything?

EDIT: Online seems to be totally busted right now

abrack08

Do you have to download the additional content too? I was considering downloading it but I dunno if I can free up 46 GB haha.

I think that's fair.

Considering online has barely worked on the PS3 version the last 3-4 years I'd say more than fair!

Going to wait just a little to snag a deal on this, but I plan on getting both versions. Will officially pop my cross-save Vita-PS3 cherry which I'm quite excited about.

abrack08

Where did you get 46GB from? It's 23GB total.

I'm not sure if it's exactly x2 or not, but I know you need a lot more space than just what you're downloading. If you have 18 GB left, it won't let you download something 11 GB. Happened to me when I first got PS+.

RdN

I'm not sure if it's exactly x2 or not, but I know you need a lot more space than just what you're downloading. If you have 18 GB left, it won't let you download something 11 GB. Happened to me when I first got PS+.

I'd really like to know the exact amount the game needs to download and install. As a 80GB PS3 owner, free space is extremely hard to find.

Quick

Banned
Only have the additional content downloading now, should be done in about an hour or so.

Do you have to download the additional content too? I was considering downloading it but I dunno if I can free up 46 GB haha.

That I'm not entirely sure about. Pretty sure you're fine with the main game, but I don't know.

11GB of additional content sounds substantial.

Cutscenes? Is it still less than the console version? I was pretty disappointed with 12 on the Vita. When you hit a homerun or a game winning run, there's no replay, cutscene, or anything. I want to at least see the homerun hitter run around the base.

Does 13 improve in these areas?

There are still far less cutscenes than in the PS3 version but there are definitely a few that help round out the experience. Including a home run trot. It's not much but it helps.

Played a couple of games yesterday. Game feels and looks great. I couldn't help but wonder what it's going to look like when it makes its PS4 debut.

Vita version is better, it's not a big leap graphically but it is noticeably smoother than last year's version, IMO.

Played a couple of games yesterday. Game feels and looks great. I couldn't help but wonder what it's going to look like when it makes its PS4 debut.

Vita version is better, it's not a big leap graphically but it is noticeably smoother than last year's version, IMO.

I'm already hyped for the PS4 version. It's the number one reason I'm buying a PS4.

-Amon-

I need to brush my baseball skills and from what i see this looks like a great game to spend some time on.

I'm from Europe. Will The Show be sold here ? I'm on the fence for ps3 / Vita. I'd prefer phisical copy for ps3, digital for Vita.

Hitting line drives to the gap yesterday was so damn satisfying, watching the ball (finally) roll all the way to the wall before anyone got to it.

Also loved that with McCann, I hit one right into that damned shift.

Top Bottom