• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
To what extent are microtransactions or in game purchases necessary in this game? Is it possible to just pick any major league team and play a game against another team of your choice? Are there game modes or players that are off limits or do you need to pay to level up or access certain stadiums?

Im all over this game if everything is open and you can jump right in, but if it's like NBA2K14 then that's a turn off for me.

Thanks!

The only thing I've seen micro transactions used for is progressing your rtts player further than you've earned the points for. I don't play diamond dynasty but I would imagine there are some in there as well. It is not even close to being as awful as nba2k was.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nope, can't use any MiLB (or foreign) players until they play a game in the majors. A few years ago Yu Darvish had to be added to the Rangers in a roster update after the season started. If you go into the Roster Vault on the main menu and sort by # of downloads, the first roster should be OSFM, which is a community made roster over on Operation Sports that has all the correct minor league players for each team.

Neat, thanks.

Sean*O

The only thing I've seen micro transactions used for is progressing your rtts player further than you've earned the points for. I don't play diamond dynasty but I would imagine there are some in there as well. It is not even close to being as awful as nba2k was.

That's good news, thanks!

demolitio

The big new addition that I don't remember from last year at least, is the challenges where you can use those stubs to enter a challenge with a bigger payout for completion similar to gambling and we can make our own challenges and upload them. I think there were challenges in the past, but I don't remember the stubs being a part of them and even then, you get stubs through some things in the game too so it's not necessarily something you need to spend money on.

To expand on your answer as well, the free 30,000 stubs you get from GS is good for RttS in the beginning but I only ended up spending a few of them on my player since it felt kind of cheap, but the biggest thing for me will be using them to get out of an injury my player has. I guess I might use it on my Indians franchise to increase the budget since it's one of the cheap teams, but it's definitely not needed and won't ruin the game.

Nothing requires it and that's what people were trying to say back when the preorder bonus was announced and people were adamant that it meant the game was ruined when it's something that's been in the game for the past few years and just wasn't something people cared about at the time. Once a few games went overboard with the microtransactions though, it suddenly meant The Show had to follow.

Basically, it's there mostly for your own personal gain but nothing that will hurt your experience as I NEVER buy them.

Sandman42

Drafted Billy Hamilton as my starting CF in fantasy draft franchise. Good lord, the leadoff bunts.

Bunt -> Steal 2nd -> Score on any hit

Instant run to start every game

Shady859

Drafted Billy Hamilton as my starting CF in fantasy draft franchise. Good lord, the leadoff bunts.

Haha nice to hear, I will be using the Reds whenever my copy arrives thursday. Also glad to hear pitchers are immune to being hit in the face by line drives. Wish Aroldis Chapman had that ability in real life.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thank you for purchasing MLB® 14 THE SHOW™ for the PS4™ system. Unfortunately, the game was not available for download on the expected playable date and time. The issue has since been resolved and the game is now available for download on PlayStation®Store.

As a token of our appreciation for your loyalty and to apologize for any inconvenience, we've provided you with a $5.00 voucher code which can be added to your PSN wallet, and a voucher code for 6,000 Stubs, ($4.99 value), which can be used as in-game currency within MLB 14 The Show.

Thanks Good Guy Sony!

Good on them. Wonder if EU peeps will get anything.

demolitio

I'm an Indians fan and a Reds fan since I was born in Cleveland and then have lived the second half of my life here, so I try to combine the teams in franchise mode while also making some other logical moves of course and I can't wait to get Billy on my team, but I'm really worried about playing my friend online (assuming we can actually get through the lag). I know he'll just use Billy Hamilton to bunt every single time and then try to steal and even when you know it's coming, it's hard to fool him and catch him.

Then again, he can bunt and steal all day because like the Reds, my friend manages to leave runners in scoring position all the time with a horribly inconsistent offense...lol

DrBo42

Not strange at all. I don't watch soccer or UFC, but I enjoy FIFA and the UFC games!

And watching golf on TV is a snorefest but I love Mario Golf and Tiger Woods PGA games!

I picked up FIFA 14 as well but that game has such an extreme learning curve. At least this is easy to pickup but difficult to master.

Do you guys have tips for a beginner?

Meaning...I casually watch baseball, but seriously haven't bought a baseball game since the N64 days.

What mode should i play it on? Should I use analog or buttons for pitching/batting?

How should I "speed up" the game so they don't last a long time?

I am really 100% clueless. I bought the game, did some training and a home run derby.

I'm especially clueless about the analog pitching vs meter pitching.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

DrBo42

Meaning...I casually watch baseball, but seriously haven't bought a baseball game since the N64 days.

What mode should i play it on? Should I use analog or buttons for pitching/batting?

I am really 100% clueless. I bought the game, did some training and a home run derby.

I would use the pulse pitching with the classic border on and classic marker for batting as well. This is purely personal preference so make sure you go into the practice menu and try it all out before you settle into one. As for playing short games I would create a character in Road To The Show in whichever position you find interesting. You'll be able to essentially fast forward to your player's appearances. My character is a closing pitcher (CP) so I only play the last inning or so to seal a victory. Really love that functionality, makes it way more immersive. Have fun!

Javes

Quick count and fast play will speed games up. Quick count starts each batter off with a random count like 1-2 or 3-2 to make each pitch more important. Fast play removes a lot of the broadcast presentation. I'm a fan of meter but pulse pitching might be good for a beginner. All you need to do is to press X when the circle is at its smallest point for greater accuracy. For batting, timing might be the best for you as all you have to worry about is timing to hit the ball.

Xater

I recommend going for meter when it comes to pitching. I am a beginner and it's vry intuitive if you played a golf game for example. It's kinda the same thing.

Blearth

Banned
So my game got stuck on this screen.

BnGVpXdCEAAgg0l.jpg:large

The bottom bar is still animating so it's not totally locked up. I would turn off the PS4 but I've had a killer few games and I haven't saved.

Help me GAF!!!

EDIT: switching users fixed it.

That Share button is awesome tho.

DrBo42

So my game got stuck on this screen.

BnGVpXdCEAAgg0l.jpg:large

The bottom bar is still animating so it's not totally locked up. I would turn off the PS4 but I've had a killer few games and I haven't saved.

Help me GAF!!!

:( I'm sorry friend. Give it a few minutes or maybe try to get someone to send you a game invite?

I am really enjoying the game. Not a huge change in gameplay from year's past, but that's fine. The upgraded visuals definitely make the purchase worthwhile.

I am playing a franchise and am interested to see how the minor league players progress in this game.

DrBo42

Anyone have tips on how to move up from AA? As a closing pitcher I don't seem to be getting much traction even through I'm on a 35+ save streak. Doesn't help that the game throws me some bullshit negative points when the fielders or the catcher make errors and turn a routine play into a base hit or an RBI. Not sure how that's my fault.

Edit: Also has anyone else noticed the in-field never throws it back to the mound? Why do I have to watch them slowly walk back into position? Is there a button I'm not pressing to get them to return it?

If I play RttS in MLB 13 on the PS3 I can bring that forward to MLB 14 on the PS4, right? Am I missing a ton (other than visuals, of course) that way? I just didn't play MLB 13 enough and can't justify MLB 14 yet but I know I'll eventually succumb.

Xater

If I play RttS in MLB 13 on the PS3 I can bring that forward to MLB 14 on the PS4, right? Am I missing a ton (other than visuals, of course) that way? I just didn't play MLB 13 enough and can't justify MLB 14 yet but I know I'll eventually succumb.

Pretty sure that doesn't work and you can only move it over from the PS3 version of MLB 14.

Pretty sure that doesn't work and you can only move it over from the PS3 version of MLB 14.

Oh, I was hoping that it went cross-game (and, by extension, any RttS progress this year would carry over to MLB 15). Ah, well -- I've been looking for an excuse to get MLB 14 anyhow. Thanks!

Xater

Oh, I was hoping that it went cross-game (and, by extension, any RttS progress this year would carry over to MLB 15). Ah, well -- I've been looking for an excuse to get MLB 14 anyhow. Thanks!

Yeah the progress from this year's game will go over to next year. As far as I know it's a feature they introduced this year.

Dazzyman

Mines just arrived here in the UK. Watching a CPU only match as is my ritual with sports games.

I'm suprised how great it looks after reading some grumblings. Same with the loading times, initial it took couple of mins now it's fine (did a reboot for the patch).

Anyone else picking it up in the UK?

hoserx

Been lurking in this thread but just want to say hello, and that I am loving the show so far on ps4! Went 0-3 to start my season with the Tribe but I have went 3-0 to get back to .500. I haven't bought a baseball game since 2010 (sold my ps3 then), so I am really happy to have one again!

Acorn

Mines just arrived here in the UK. Watching a CPU only match as is my ritual with sports games.

I'm suprised how great it looks after reading some grumblings. Same with the loading times, initial it took couple of mins now it's fine (did a reboot for the patch).

I wanted to but SCEE didn't want my money.

Xater

I'm from Germany we can try playing online if that's why you are asking for players in Europe.

Xater

Yeah, that is supposed to be Tanaka haha. I assume it is some universal generic guy. This is Yangervis Solarte:
http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/yangervis.png[img]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bby7AASl.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

So the white bearded guy is the standard? San Diego Studio is clearly racist...

Karish

This might be some strange criticism, but I wish the game felt more epic. It's kinda dry. When you hit a home run or make a great play the game makes it feel sorta underwhelming

Top Bottom