• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Dante316

Hey all, I just bought mlb the show and I noticed there is no Manual or anything in the box except the disc. Is there nothing or I got gimped.

DrBo42

This might be some strange criticism, but I wish the game felt more epic. It's kinda dry. When you hit a home run or make a great play the game makes it feel sorta underwhelming

Nah it's valid. I don't think I've ever heard the commentators get excited about anything. Haven't seen playoffs or world series yet but it's like everyone is sedated.

graywolf323

It's bad enough that Masahiro Tanaka and Yangervis Solarte share a generic white guy model, but did he have to be bearded?

whiteguy_sm.png

they really like beards this year for some reason, I swear all the Orioles players have beards despite the team having a clean shaven policy during the season

Xater

they really like beards this year for some reason, I swear all the Orioles players have beards despite the team having a clean shaven policy during the season

And sadly the hair and beards don't look that great. They are probably the most major issue I have with the graphics.

Ric Flair

Banned
Is there a trick to getting pitches to go anywhere near where you place the cursor? I've tried each different pitching UI and all of them give me the same problems. I used the classic style pitching mechanic, threw perfect pitches each time, and ended up walking the batter because no matter where I placed the cursor my guy couldn't throw a strike to save his life. It's incredibly infuriating. It feels like the game is goading me into buying stubs to up my pitch control.

sangreal

Is there a trick to getting pitches to go anywhere near where you place the cursor? I've tried each different pitching UI and all of them give me the same problems. I used the classic style pitching mechanic, threw perfect pitches each time, and ended up walking the batter because no matter where I placed the cursor my guy couldn't throw a strike to save his life. It's incredibly infuriating. It feels like the game is goading me into buying stubs to up my pitch control.

rtts I assume? I always start w/ high velocity and low control so I just throw a lot of 4-seam fastballs until I get my control stats up. Players in AA suck at hitting a 100mph heater

if you're playing an exhibition or something, you shouldn't be having problems. I would blame input lag in that case, but you say the game shows you perfect release

so I'm the worst ever with the analog, thinking of going back to button zone or whatever it's called. shit never aims where I want

both my hitter and pitcher are blue jays, wtf

Is anyone else not getting vibration on the DS4 unless they turn off their controller in game and turn it back on?

The same it started happening with FW 1.70.

How to fix temporarily

Connect the PS4 to the DS4 via USB

Start your Game, once it loads.

Go to the Home screen
Go to settings
Select Devices
Select Controller
Deslect Vibration Box and then ReSelect it

Now the Vibration will work, wired or wireless.

You can also just turn your controller off and back on it will fix it.

sangreal

So it this game 100% sim or are there settings to make it a little more arcadey/beginner friendly?

you can make it as arcadey as you want. in addition to your usual sliders, they have a ton of options for control styles that take it anywhere from arcade to full analog sim

they also have a progressive difficulty setting that starts out easy and gets more difficult as you improve

I have a question.

PS4 version.

I have hit maybe 20 or so HR in franchise mode. None of them triggered the home run celebration shot, or the player HR admiration shot. Not one.

Is this tied to what cam angle you use or whether its broadcast style or dynamic?

TriGen

it's not just the screens, the game is really inconsistent visually. Hope next year is more PS4 than PS3

Yeah, I feel the same. I played for the first time last night and while it looks good -- sometimes you don't notice the "upgrade."

Also, lol at Tanaka.

This might be some strange criticism, but I wish the game felt more epic. It's kinda dry. When you hit a home run or make a great play the game makes it feel sorta underwhelming

Or fireworks when you win. I was thinking that all last night when I hit a walk off grand slam. Still awesome.

Xater

I have 6 games played in Diamond Dynasty and still a 0 rating. What is the reason behind that? Is it because I am playing on Rookie?

Now just played my first online game in DD an d the other guy disconnected because he was losing. Kinda bullshit that you don't get a win for that.

Lrrr

It's bad enough that Masahiro Tanaka and Yangervis Solarte share a generic white guy model, but did he have to be bearded?

whiteguy_sm.png

Something is off in your game. Neither my Tanaka nor Solarte look anywhere close to that. Here's how mine appear.

Masahiro Tanaka
iKYmLv6OMqECz.jpg

Yangervis Solarte
iEpOsU7Lci9dN.jpg

sangreal

Something is off in your game. Neither my Tanaka nor Solarte look anywhere close to that. Here's how mine appear.

Masato Tanaka
iKYmLv6OMqECz.jpg

Yangervis Solarte
iEpOsU7Lci9dN.jpg

That is exceptionally weird. How do I go about fixing that? I'm using the official rosters (this was a MLB LIVE game anyway)

Lrrr

That is exceptionally weird. How do I go about fixing that? I'm using the official rosters (this was a MLB LIVE game anyway)

Did you load the roster after downloading it? I discovered that mine doesn't auto-load. I have to do it manually every time I boot the game. I think you're using the place-holder models.

With classic the control of your pitcher is based on his control rating.

So my game got stuck on this screen.

BnGVpXdCEAAgg0l.jpg:large

The bottom bar is still animating so it's not totally locked up. I would turn off the PS4 but I've had a killer few games and I haven't saved.

Help me GAF!!!

EDIT: switching users fixed it.

That Share button is awesome tho.

CRUMPS!

Jolkien

Can I use my Vita as a second controller on PS4 ? Only thing I found is it appears to be on a game by game basis and I can't find online if this game allows it or not.

MickeyPhree

Alright, I need some help.

What's the best way for a beginner to play this? I've heard very mixed things about how the actual beginner's mode works and saw some discussion that it isn't worth bothering with.

So what's the best way for someone totally new to this series to come to grips with it?

Go into batting practice and take about 500 swings.

Facial hair in the PS4 version looks awful. Freddie Freeman's beard and eyebrows look like they were put on by the MSPaint spray can.

Dante316

Where do you download the rosters from? I mean I see the announcement there are 6 new players but I don't know where to download from.. Lol I cant find it...and my game went all green

Xater

I should decide on a favorite team so I have something to strive for and pick for a franchise. Should be something decent though. Yankees are probably an easy pick but everyone who isn't a fan hates them right?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Has anyone else tried hitting on HOF and find it really absurdly hard or do I just suck a lot

I tried a daily challenge or some such last night it was McCutchen vs Wainwright and you control McCutchen. As you get hits you progress in difficulty once it got to HOF the zone indicator became incredibly small and I couldn't do anything but foul or whiff. Shits hard.
Usually I play on vet and can hit pretty decent so I don't think it's me.

deafmedal

First exhibition game, first time pitching :p
on beginner!

I haven't played a proper baseball game since Ken Griffey Jr on the Super Nintendo. Hell, not even sure why I wanted to get this game as I haven't followed baseball (or any sport really) since the '94 strike. Maybe it's genre fatigue or lack of (for me anyway) interesting titles on the PS4, but I was hella hyped to pick this up. Fuck me this game looks to be pretty deep, but I enjoyed the few hours I played last night. I did horrible on the RTTS exhibitions, failed miserably at batting practice then said fuck it and tried an exhibition game as the Rangers because, well, Texas lol. Don't really have a favorite team any longer, maybe I should pick one hah! I don't reckon I'll ever throw another perfect game (especially once I increase the difficulty/try the different control options) but it was cool as shit!

Oh yeah, the play by play guys are worse than JBL... didn't think that was possible :/

Top Bottom