• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

graywolf323

well that had to be the weirdest glitch I've ever seen

foul tip that ends up in the dugout but they claimed it was a dropped third strike so he gets first base

except he's on second base...

edit: managed to escape that glitch created runner in scoring position thankfully but since it was a 1-0 game I would have been quite upset if he had scored somehow

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The amount of foul balls in this game is absolutely ludicrous.

Alright, I need some help.

What's the best way for a beginner to play this? I've heard very mixed things about how the actual beginner's mode works and saw some discussion that it isn't worth bothering with.

So what's the best way for someone totally new to this series to come to grips with it?

Switch your difficulty to DYNAMIC for hitting and pitching. It adjusts to your skill level. That is how I play and it has been an absolute blast.

Can someone link where to download the osfm rosters? I cannot find the download link on the site.

Go to vault within the game itself, it is under the "COMMUNITY" Tab.

Select rosters.

Go to the % icon, hit square (it will sort the rosters based on high approval), you should see OSFM at the top of the page.

Select it with X button, and download and save.

As a pitcher in the road to the show mode when do you get more pitches? I'm pretty sure I saw a menu say that I would get more pitches at some point.

Last night I hit my first homer in my first game and it felt so good. My (fantasy draft) White Sox played the Twins.
There was a hard throwing reliever whos name eludes me now and Giancarlo Stanton was up to bat.
First two pitches at around 95 and I was way late and fouled them off. Then one fastball inside for a ball and two sliders low and away. Before the 3-2 pitch I thought he would challenge me inside, moved the zone marker to the left and turned around a 96mph fastball on the inside part of the plate for a 420ft. bomb to left.
No game has ever nailed the pitcher/batter matchup like the Show has. No other sportsgame makes me feel this excited when I do something against the AI.

suEcide

Just recently, I have been unable to finish a game online (PS3).

I generally play ranked, and around the 4th-6th inning, the game will freeze up on me for 30-60 seconds, then I'll get the prompter "LOST CONNECTION WITH (opponent)". It normally freezes during a cut-scene on the field or between play. I haven't been able to finish a game online pretty much since the latest update, and am always credited with the loss of these games...which is shameful as I always prided myself as being pretty good at the game online. Now I'm just seen as someone who disconnects.

I've done some basic troubleshooting. Alternated between wireless and hardwired connection. I have 10GBs of the game preinstalled.

Is this a common problem? I know the online is buggy as all hell, but this is unacceptable if it is indeed the game itself and not my hardware.

I love this series so much, but they really need to fix the pitching motions. They all look so unnatural. Pretty much like a licorice stick throwing a baseball.Do more Mo-cap or something. Any real life pitcher with those kinds of mechanics would be fucked lol. They look like those arm flailing tube men.

Dante316

This is annoying me to no end, the announcement for 6 new players and more moves. I have no idea where to download that..., also I really suck at hitting lol, does R2 plus right analog really influence hitting? Am using zone hitting so have no idea it works. Game is fun though.

I wish the universal profile had more stats like years ago. I don't play much online but like seeing my overall batting avg, hits, etc. Baseball is all about the numbers and I wish they showed more for your own profile.

I wish the universal profile had more stats like years ago. I don't play much online but like seeing my overall batting avg, hits, etc. Baseball is all about the numbers and I wish they showed more for your own profile.

It still does, they're just stuck in the leaderboard section.

banjo5150

I really dig the Vita cross save to PS4. Freaking amazing to work on my RTTS player on the go then switching to PS4 when I am home. Just awesome.

DrBo42

Been pitching on dynamic difficulty and just hit mid tier Hall of Fame diff. HOF difficulty turns RTTS into a fucking nightmare. Fielders constantly making errors while your pitching becomes wildly inconsistent. So frustrating but it feels like a failure if I let it drop back to All-Star.

Xater

Can someone link where to download the osfm rosters? I cannot find the download link on the site.

In game you go to the vault and pick rosters. Then sort by downloads or rating and it should be easy to find.

This is annoying me to no end, the announcement for 6 new players and more moves. I have no idea where to download that..., also I really suck at hitting lol, does R2 plus right analog really influence hitting? Am using zone hitting so have no idea it works. Game is fun though.

Had to figure this out myself as well. In the man menu go to data. In the owner right you should see the option to save the live roster.

Korten

Banned
Sorry in advanced this question has probably been asked before.

I've never played a baseball game, in fact I haven't played a sports game in a very... very long time. However i've always been interested in the
MLB series. Is MLB 14 a good place to start? Is there any sort of demo?

It may be silly, but I want to get into the game because of shows like Major, and Ace of the Diamond.

Sorry in advanced this question has probably been asked before.

I've never played a baseball game, in fact I haven't played a sports game in a very... very long time. However i've always been interested in the
MLB series. Is MLB 14 a good place to start? Is there any sort of demo?

In addition to this, what if you didn't know the rules of Baseball, does it have a full tutorial in that regard? I guess not..

Xater

In addition to this, what if you didn't know the rules of Baseball, does it have a full tutorial in that regard? I guess not..

It doesn't. The baseball rules are pretty simple though at least the basics. I read them on Wikipedia before I bought my first baseball game. I am doing fine right now. Started out playing on Beginner and now I play Diamond Dynasty on Rookie. It's definitely managable and I think easier to get into than Madden or NBA 2K. Baseball at it's core is kinda simple so it doesn't require much pad acrobatics.

Xater

Ok I must be missing something. I see where to activate quick counts in Exhibition and Franchise but not in postseason or Diamond Dynasty. Is that intentional or am I just overlooking something?

NHale

Played it yesterday and while I agree with some people that say it's not a huge graphical improvement, the game still looks a lot cleaner than ever and on night time it looks even better.

My main problems remain: commentary and some animations.

Xater

Played it yesterday and while I agree with some people that say it's not a huge graphical improvement, the game still looks a lot cleaner than ever and on night time it looks even better.

My main problems remain: commentary and some animations.

It's interesting to me that people complain so much about the commentary in these games. Having experienced years of commentary in FIFA the commentary in this game sounds amazing. I am always impressed by how accurate they describe what is happening.

NHale

It's interesting to me that people complain so much about the commentary in these games. Having experienced years of commentary in FIFA the commentary in this game sounds amazing. I am always impressed by how accurate they describe what is happening.

I've played The Show since 2009 so that's probably why I don't like the commentary anymore. They changed the 3rd announcer a couple of years ago but the dynamic is still the same.

I don't understand, no matter if its exhibition or ranked online sometimes it is quick count games and sometimes it is full games. Is there some setting I'm missing?

oatmeal

Banned
I've played The Show since 2009 so that's probably why I don't like the commentary anymore. They changed the 3rd announcer a couple of years ago but the dynamic is still the same.

Yep, exactly. It's not that it's bad, its just been 90% the same stuff for 5 years.

Really enjoying this after suffering with 2k for years (I'm talking 2k5 up annually). Anyway to change pitching/batting difficult individually? I'm great at pitching, still swinging at really bad balls at times on offense.

Edit: figured it out :D

Jrmint

Is there a better hitting camera than the default for judging balls and strikes? That's my biggest issue at the moment, espec when it's a high or low ball.

abrack08

Played an infuriating game against the Phillies last night as the Rangers. AJ Burnett was throwing nothing but fastballs and sinkers out over the middle of the plate, and I was constantly getting good/great location/timing... but I got 1 run and like 6 hits. Pitched a complete game victory with like 75 pitches because everything I hit was right at someone. I'm a Show vet, but it's really frustrating when it seems like I'm doing everything right and the game just decided that I wasn't going to hit well. I know that's how baseball go, but it sucks when it feels like it isn't your fault.

Yeah I agree the commentary gets repetitvie very quickly.
But for some reason I still think the line "He looks like he's swinging a gardenhose" is funny after hearing it a million times.

Watched someone play on twitch last night. The AI fielding was horrible. Every 3rd play or so there was a crazy fielding blunder. This what I should expect all the time?

w00zey

I'm sure it has been noted but it is kinda shitty to see the bug where you can't control your fielder pre hit pop up from time to time :(

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I love the visuals in the game! Playboys super smooth too!!

Some repost pics:
MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508210617.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508210121.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508210100.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508205517.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508204825.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508204736.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508203526.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508202240.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508201940.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508201750.jpg

MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508201652.jpg