• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Is it just me or do the umps hardy say anything anymore? Where the FUCK is the "striiiiiiiiiiiiiike" and "hieeeeeeeeeeeee" and "strhaaaaaah!!" and whatnot? 90% of the time they're silent and when they're not silent they're still almost totally unnoteworthy. Fucking bullshit.

Also, if you don't notice you'll never notice but the ambient audio is sorely missing aircraft. This games needs helicopters and biplanes and such.

Last beef: no skybox at all after the sky goes black? Just ... black? Details, this game, supposedly.

zychi

Banned
I love the visuals in the game! Playboys super smooth too!!

Some repost pics:
MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508210617.jpg

/QUOTE]

you didnt even notice the all black glitchoif the crowd? my entire screen besides the grass was green earlier. scared the shit out of me that my ps4 was dying.

fritolay

I've dusted off my PS4 and downloaded this game. New to the series, downloaded sliders and recommended roster update. Played one online exhibition game.

Now, before I start playing online games, I was wondering what are the popular modes to play on the game? Any suggestions on camera or controls? (I have hitting and pitching on dynamic)

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I love the visuals in the game! Playboys super smooth too!!

Some repost pics:
MLBreg14TheShowtrade_20140508210617.jpg

/QUOTE]

you didnt even notice the all black glitchoif the crowd? my entire screen besides the grass was green earlier. scared the shit out of me that my ps4 was dying.

I can be a bit unobservant at times. Didn't even see that honestly. I wasn't concerned about black or odd graphics glitches after reading about others having them.

Hari Seldon

Just got this game and hol-e-fuck what the fuck is this downloading team bullshit before I can play. This is some serious fucking horse shit. There is also some type of install icon that is increment by 1% ever 10 minutes or so, what the fucking fuck!

sangreal

Just got this game and hol-e-fuck what the fuck is this downloading team bullshit before I can play. This is some serious fucking horse shit. There is also some type of install icon that is increment by 1% ever 10 minutes or so, what the fucking fuck!

but aren't the menus fun?

(the only really productive thing you can do is make an rtts guy, but you can't play)

You can see the actual download progress by going to ps4 menu and hitting options->information on the mlb 14 tile

Hari Seldon

but aren't the menus fun?

(the only really productive thing you can do is make an rtts guy, but you can't play)

You can see the actual download progress by going to ps4 menu and hitting options->information on the mlb 14 tile

Fuck that bullshit, I have my PS4 hooked up to my PC monitor so I can actually fucking game while my slow as dog shit console spins its hamster wheels.

Jrmint

You can play the Cards and Red Sox while the rest is downloading. Also the second 50% is faster than the first.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anyone do the challenge of the week?

It's McCutchen vs Wainwright. Gotta get hits with Cutch and obtain points with a multiplier. It's pretty fun. I can't get over 500k points though and top people have over 20 million.

Allforce

I must be an idiot because I can't figure out baserunning in RTTS mode. You're on 1st. You get an icon that has a left arrow and right arrow. I have that figured out.

It's when I try to round 2nd or 3rd that shit goes screwy every time. Do I press UP at 2nd base to round it and take 3rd? I tried that and I stopped short of 2nd and ran back to 1st!

I attempted to round 3rd on a deep single, and my guy runs past 3rd, I press down to run home....and he runs back to 3rd. I press Up and he goes but then stops short and runs back and is picked off.

Madness. HALP.

DietRob

It would be really neat to be able to sort the online leaderboard for challenge of the week to your friends list. You know like every other leaderboard in existence.

Fix this shit Guerrilla!

aro52

I must be an idiot because I can't figure out baserunning in RTTS mode. You're on 1st. You get an icon that has a left arrow and right arrow. I have that figured out.

It's when I try to round 2nd or 3rd that shit goes screwy every time. Do I press UP at 2nd base to round it and take 3rd? I tried that and I stopped short of 2nd and ran back to 1st!

I attempted to round 3rd on a deep single, and my guy runs past 3rd, I press down to run home....and he runs back to 3rd. I press Up and he goes but then stops short and runs back and is picked off.

Madness. HALP.

Pretty sure it's always UP to advance, and DOWN to return. (for all bases)
Haven't tested it, but I think I saw that R1 (advance) and L1 (return) works too.

i cant even hit homers in warmup

might be time to do beginners mode

If you're a fresh RTTS guy, you probably don't have the power yet to hit em out.

Pretty sure it's always UP to advance, and DOWN to return. (for all bases)
Haven't tested it, but I think I saw that R1 (advance) and L1 (return) works too.

If you're a fresh RTTS guy, you probably don't have the power yet to hit em out.

I guess that makes sense. I've hit plenty in majors games but man my guy is weak as fuck for being a Giancarlo Stanton clone lol

So, do you think its possible for them to fix the dreadful load times through a patch? I love the game, but when you play RTTS you sit through a lot of loading considering how fast you get through games.

I still hate the goddamn running controls in this series (when playing a regular game).

Top 8th: I hit a single to tie the game... except the guys on 2nd and 1st started to go back to the bags? So by the time I turn them around (I press L1 immediately, but they have to finish their going-back-to-the bag animation first) there's a force throw from the outfield to end the inning. I guess I must have hit R1 right after swinging?

Top 9th: I'm threatening to tie the game again, with runners on second and first and 1 out. There are 2 strikes on me, and this time I know I slipped up and slightly hit L2 while adjusting the controller in my hand, so I have to swing at a bad pitch in an attempt to save the game, because after 5 years of playing I still have no idea how to cancel a steal. Heck, I don't even know how to steal individual runners. I know the answers are in the menus somewhere, and I've looked them up in the past, but I don't remember because it's just not intuitive. Strike 'em out, throw 'em out, game over. I lost 3 of my last 4 outs because I have played at least 300 hours of this series and still don't have a feel for running.

Give me SNES Ken Griffey Jr. running controls and call it a day. And if those exist as an option and I've just been too ignorant to select them, please alert me to my idiocy and I will rejoice.

Can I make contract extension offers in the middle of a season? I need to re-sign Melky Cabrera before other teams can steal him from me :p

And why did no one tell me the all-star game home run derby takes forever and a day to complete :| So boring but I felt I had to stick with it lol.........at least Bautista won

And why did no one tell me the all-star game home run derby takes forever and a day to complete :| So boring but I felt I had to stick with it lol.........at least Bautista won

Just like in real life then. Iit's batting practice of course it's boring, what do you expect?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I still hate the goddamn running controls in this series (when playing a regular game).

Top 8th: I hit a single to tie the game... except the guys on 2nd and 1st started to go back to the bags? So by the time I turn them around (I press L1 immediately, but they have to finish their going-back-to-the bag animation first) there's a force throw from the outfield to end the inning. I guess I must have hit R1 right after swinging?

Top 9th: I'm threatening to tie the game again, with runners on second and first and 1 out. There are 2 strikes on me, and this time I know I slipped up and slightly hit L2 while adjusting the controller in my hand, so I have to swing at a bad pitch in an attempt to save the game, because after 5 years of playing I still have no idea how to cancel a steal. Heck, I don't even know how to steal individual runners. I know the answers are in the menus somewhere, and I've looked them up in the past, but I don't remember because it's just not intuitive. Strike 'em out, throw 'em out, game over. I lost 3 of my last 4 outs because I have played at least 300 hours of this series and still don't have a feel for running.

Give me SNES Ken Griffey Jr. running controls and call it a day. And if those exist as an option and I've just been too ignorant to select them, please alert me to my idiocy and I will rejoice.
I've been doing my baserunning in regular games by using the left analog to point it at the runner I want to advance, and pressing the face button for the base I want them to take. So far I like it better than just hitting R1 / L1.

So you know. so far in online matches with friends, i haven't really had latency issues. there are times when it's obvious an animation delay or something similar but I haven't had many pitches where I felt like the latency was the part screwing me

Friend brough the game over (i don't have it quite yet) and here are my first impressions:

• Those graphics.......so pretty
  • The animations were very fluid
  • You have to install all of the stadiums, all of the player rosters??? Wow....thats a lot
  • Pitching is tight
  • Batting feels a little weird this time around
  • I couldnt get to throw the ball to where I wanted to throw it. AI always threw it for me!
  • Did I mention how pretty it was?
  • Presentation is top notch

Overall: Decent first impression! Need to buy the game to play Road To The Show, and mess around with the game some more! Cant wait to play more of it. Sucks that online is STILL broken.

DietRob

So you know. so far in online matches with friends, i haven't really had latency issues. there are times when it's obvious an animation delay or something similar but I haven't had many pitches where I felt like the latency was the part screwing me

When Drizz and I played there were a few innings where the latency was a huge problem for at least me. Not sure about him. For me just like previous versions of the game several pitches were already in the catchers glove before I even had an opportunity to swing. Then of course in the bottom of the ninth I hit a pop up and my game disconnected spat me some error and made my ps4 not be able to go into standby mode for a few tries.

I've been doing my baserunning in regular games by using the left analog to point it at the runner I want to advance, and pressing the face button for the base I want them to take. So far I like it better than just hitting R1 / L1.

Cool I'll try that and see if I have better luck.

HiiiLife

I absolutely suck at this game. Especially batting. If anybody has tips on the mechanics or fundamentals to bat, plz let me know. I understand the timing, but the whole aiming the yellow cursor along with influencing the ball isn't working. I seem to be hitting foul balls or pop flies all the time. I want line drives dammit lol.

Lrrr

I really hope the transitional animations improve now that the series is on PS4 because it seems like every batters follow-through is the same.

Karish

Had a real pitchers duel in franchise last night. I was tigers, CPU was twins. Down 2-1 in bottom of the ninth, two outs, one man on, Tori Hunter hits a two strike walk off HR and I fell in love with this game.

DietRob

I absolutely suck at this game. Especially batting. If anybody has tips on the mechanics or fundamentals to bat, plz let me know. I understand the timing, but the whole aiming the yellow cursor along with influencing the ball isn't working. I seem to be hitting foul balls or pop flies all the time. I want line drives dammit lol.

You could switch the hitting to timing only if you wanted. Might be better for you if you understand the timing.

Xater

I'm no pro at this game but from what I understand is that a ball in the upper part of the PCI is more likely going to be high and one in the lower part low. I could be wrong though. I just try to aim where I think the ball will be and try to get my timing right.

Do any of the players on your guys teams have things that are wrong with their appearance? Like it doesn't match up to real life?

I'm an Orioles fan and so far I've seen:

JJ Hardy has a mustache.
Adam Jones has sideburns.
Jonathan Schoop is a white guy.

Do any of the players on your guys teams have things that are wrong with their appearance? Like it doesn't match up to real life?

JJ Hardy has a mustache.

Yeah, I thought it was weird. I think they are pushing too hard with their hair tech this year. I'm surprised they didn't give Markakis his off-season beard.

BfaX-5tIIAAVO47.jpg:large

Lrrr

JJ Hardy has a mustache.

Did you download the new roster?

Meohsix

I've given up on my rtts outfielder because the camera is fucking horrible and i cant seem to find a way to change it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Is there a way to put the shift on in the infield? All I can adjust is infield depth, while shift is always Straight Up.

Is there a way to put the shift on in the infield? All I can adjust is infield depth, while shift is always Straight Up.

In the defense positioning menu press R2 to and then left/right on the D-pad to shift.

edit: I love pulse pitching. Tried it for the first time this year and pitching with a pitcher with low command is such a fun challenge. I was always too accurate with pure analog.

dano1

A Sheep

I'm not very good at batting either but when I change to analog swinging I seemed to improve a little. And it's lot more fun to play that way.

Check out pure analog hitting. I prefer it at least.

I agree with the posters above that analog hitting is definitely worth a shot. I switched to it and never looked back. Having to stride makes me approach pitches in a better way I think, and being able to check your swing in a more realistic fashion is great.

Sometimes in late game situations on vita, the game recommends you put a pinch hitter in for your pitcher and you can't back out of the screen and deny the request.
Does anyone know a way around this?

Essentially you have to pinch hit as it's the only way to progress.

Sucks if it's your last out and you haven't had time to warm up a reliever.

Also when fielding the computer decides where to throw the ball instead of where I've told it to causing a runner to advance when I could have had an out

Top Bottom