• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Got bored and started a franchise with the Marlins.......wow their budget is low =/ They should let you set a salary cap for the whole league instead :p

Xater

Damn I just had the most awful game as the Yankees. My pitching was alright but my batting sucked ass. Won on the bottom of the 18th inning against Kansas City.

mlb14theshow_20140513cea3z.jpg

Returners

So if you go for the player specific trophies, how do you do that? Do you play with focus in that player?

I load up one team with all of them :D

There's a couple I imagine I'll have problems with. If you player lock then you have to do the steals yourself.

DoctorZ

Has anyone been playing online on wifi? Is it as bad as wired?

I usually play wired only, but when I'm at my gf's place I can't get an ethernet cord accross her living room so I'm on wifi. If it sucks equally on wifi I don't feel so bad about playing that way.

turnbuckle

I actually haven't played this year's game yet. Finally got it installed Sunday but haven't had a chance. I'm noticing a lot of people upset about injuries. Is there still an option to turn them off? And if you can, does it have any adverse effects on the game (lowered XP or similar)?

In the past I'd always turn injuries off. They're just too random and frustrating, especially in a progression-centric mode like RTTS.

w00zey

The more I play the more I realize that although I love the game, they need to improve more.

1. they need to scrap all current audio conversation and make new ones. I feel like I'm still listening to MLB12

2. why on earth at night do the scoreboards not light up? It is like they look the same as day time. Make them glow a little and for that matter they need to update the stadium lights all together. Where you actually see them it is just a white type look to appear like lights.

3. either redo the engine or figure out why the bug where you can't controller your pitcher until the hit takes place happens. This has been like this for years.

4. we need more AA and AAA stadiums. Since you spend so much time in the minors and rightfully so to get stats up playing the same small amount of ball parks suck. I'm not even asking for my dream wish of real stadiums but how about a unique fake staidum (which are detailed so much less than major league parks) for each team or at least more than what seems like 5.

My bullpen is in a huge funk right now. I was playing the (fantasy draft) Astros in Houston and Matt Moore was great and leading 6-1 through 6 but the pitch count was at 105 already so I pulled him.

In comes Andrew Miller to face two lefties. Walks both of them. Al Alburquerque walks the next guy and then gives up a freaking grand slam.

Pulled him and brought in Cook. Gives up a solo HR to Ben Revere(!). Somehow I managed to get to extras and had to bring in my long man Ottavino. Walk, wild pitch, bunt, wild pitch ballgame....

And the worst part is. basically the same thing happened the next game. This time they managed to blow a 4 run lead in one inning.

Nothing I can do about it as my minor league relief corps is just a bunch of AAAA players.

If I do a franchise, do I have to do 182 game season? Couldn't find the option to change that, unlike in Season mode where it's right there from the start. Or did I just miss it?

Woohoo. I got called up to the majors! After going 10-0 in AAA Norfolk, I was called up to the Orioles just days after the All-Star Game. I went 13-0 (in 13 starts) and somehow won the Cy Young award, despite my competition having 3-4 more wins. We won the division (going 94-68) 1 game better than the Rays. Bring on the playoffs!

Edit- Booo! I was left off the playoff roster! The Cy Young winner was left off the playoff roster! They still won the World Series, though. Bring on 2015!

Saganator

The game is great and I'm happy with my purchase. But, man do I suck at hitting. Its even more frustrating because I played baseball for almost half my life and was a decent hitter and drew a lot of walks. I just have a hard time holding back on bad pitches. I end up in a lot of 1-2, 0-2 counts, I'll either strike out or get some shitty grounder or pop-fly. I get a lot of foul tips, too. I've adjusted the sliders a bit, but I didn't want to make them comically easy, plus most of my problem is not swinging at bad pitches, so not much a slider can do for me there.

If I really try to only swing at good pitches, I end up swinging super late and falling into pitcher's counts. If I'm swinging more liberally, I obviously end up swinging at bad pitches or I'm early.

Some times I wish there was a slow down time feature for hitting.

Oh yeah. With my pitcher, I'm a few weeks into my first season and so far I've had 2 straight games where my manager keeps me in well past my energy meter being depleted. One game I ended up with 145'sih pitches, and the other was around 115. Kind of ridiculous, especially considering my stamina is only 62. I should be gassed at around 80-90 pitches with that rating.

EekTheKat

My RTTS player is turning out to be the 2nd coming of Pedro Serrano. It doesn't help that I was drafted by the Cleveland Indians lol

I've been absolutely crushing fastballs but a curveball absolutely destroy me.

I made it to AAA though, still kind of fighting my way through games vs. non power pitchers.

Just finished the best game I've played so far! It was an online game against the Dodgers I had the Braves. Bottom of the 9th two outs down 3-1 with a man a first. BJ Upton hits a HR that bounced off the top of the wall! Game stays tied until the bottom of the 12th with two outs and a man on Jason Heyward hits a walk off HR!

I wanted to save the video clip but didn't expect the first HR to be on it but to my surprise it started right before the first HR pitch!

demolitio

My RTTS player is turning out to be the 2nd coming of Pedro Serrano. It doesn't help that I was drafted by the Cleveland Indians lol

I've been absolutely crushing fastballs but a curveball absolutely destroy me.

I made it to AAA though, still kind of fighting my way through games vs. non power pitchers.

As long as you don't follow Serrano's progression path like the second movie...Although it would be cool to see you hit a bird.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone have a link to an online manual? I have no idea what the control differences are between a real game and playing a single player in the road mode.

I hate having to multitask to the kludgy web-based manual that the game uses. I really want to view it on my tablet.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game is great and I'm happy with my purchase. But, man do I suck at hitting. Its even more frustrating because I played baseball for almost half my life and was a decent hitter and drew a lot of walks. I just have a hard time holding back on bad pitches. I end up in a lot of 1-2, 0-2 counts, I'll either strike out or get some shitty grounder or pop-fly. I get a lot of foul tips, too. I've adjusted the sliders a bit, but I didn't want to make them comically easy, plus most of my problem is not swinging at bad pitches, so not much a slider can do for me there.

If I really try to only swing at good pitches, I end up swinging super late and falling into pitcher's counts. If I'm swinging more liberally, I obviously end up swinging at bad pitches or I'm early.

Some times I wish there was a slow down time feature for hitting.

I'm in the exact same boat. Reading pitches is completely opaque to me... I have no idea how people are doing it.

Sometimes I'll see one coming way inside or outside, and I'll hold back. But high or low? Or subtly left or right? Absolutely no clue.

Dante316

I'm in the exact same boat. Reading pitches is completely opaque to me... I have no idea how people are doing it.

Sometimes I'll see one coming way inside or outside, and I'll hold back. But high or low? Or subtly left or right? Absolutely no clue.

Switch to catcher 2 camera. You will get better view of the balls trajectory.

£38.50/€44.99 on the EU store. I had ordered a physical copy but that hasn't turned up and I want to support the local release, so balls to it. It's installing now, all I can do is make a RTTS player though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Switch to catcher 2 camera. You will get better view of the balls trajectory.

I'm batting in "timing" mode. Does pushing the left stick in a direction have any influence on where the ball goes? I'm looking at an online control guide and it says this:

BATTING (ALL MODES) ADVANCED
—————————-
Type – R2 + Icon
Location – R2 + LS
Fly Ball – R2 + RS (up)
Ground Ball – R2 + RS (down)
To Right Side – R2 + RS (right)
To Left Side – R2 + RS (left)

How do you hold R2 + RS and then also press the face buttons to actually hit the ball?

Also, the guide refers to a control named "Icon":

Casual Move – L2 + Base Iconx2

What the hell is "Icon"??

Kccitystar

I'm batting in "timing" mode. Does pushing the left stick in a direction have any influence on where the ball goes? I'm looking at an online control guide and it says this:

—————————-
Type – R2 + Icon
Location – R2 + LS
Fly Ball – R2 + RS (up)

How do you hold R2 + RS and then also press the face buttons to actually hit the ball?

Square= Third base
Triangle = second base
Circle = First base

Kccitystar

Hmmm ok... what does the "icon" in this one mean?

To 1st – O
To 2nd – Triangle
To 3rd – Square
To Home – X
To Cutoff – L1
Fake Throw – Icon

This is fielding with the buttons, right? so, if you're throwing to first with O, if you press O again he will fake the throw

Dante316

—————————-
Type – R2 + Icon
Location – R2 + LS
Fly Ball – R2 + RS (up)

The R2 + RS is very simple. You hold R2 then flick Rs in either direction you want. You will notice your Contriller VIBRATE that its been selected. Then let go of R2 and RS and u just hit with facebuttons Remember it will try to influence, it wont go where u picked all the time.

Xater

£38.50/€44.99 on the EU store. I had ordered a physical copy but that hasn't turned up and I want to support the local release, so balls to it. It's installing now, all I can do is make a RTTS player though.

That is actually a better price than I expected. Still save like 3€ from buying from US PSN. Good to know for next year though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The R2 + RS is very simple. You hold R2 then flick Rs in either direction you want. You will notice your Contriller VIBRATE that its been selected. Then let go of R2 and RS and u just hit with facebuttons Remember it will try to influence, it wont go where u picked all the time.

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

How in the hell did you guys figure all this stuff out?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There is an in game controls overview.

I was poking around for that last night while I was mid-game in RTTS mode, and I couldn't find it.

It also seems that all the base throwing buttons are reversed when fielding in RTTS (X is second base, not home). Also, base running was different. Pressing L1/R1 didn't make my guy move. I had to press up and down on the R stick. I have no idea how I'm supposed to slide...

Xater

I was poking around for that last night while I was mid-game in RTTS mode, and I couldn't find it.

It also seems that all the base throwing buttons are reversed when fielding in RTTS (X is second base, not home). Also, base running was different. Pressing L1/R1 didn't make my guy move. I had to press up and down on the R stick. I have no idea how I'm supposed to slide...

You move with the left stick and slid with the right stick.

Also you can make specific guy run in normal game by moving the left stick to the base he is at and then pressing the face button of where you want him to run. The shoulder buttons are just there to make everyone move.

If you go to options there should be one field that says "Game Controls". That's where you want to look all this stuff up.

I find that R2+RS influence works best when used in specific situations as opposed to every pitch.

For example, if you have a man on 2nd and want to get him home, influence a fly ball deep and send him home after the catch.

My biggest problem is base running and stealing.
I've lost critical runners to simple mistakes on my end, I just can't seem to use base running confidently as I have in the PS2 games.
Vita player, here.

So im about to start a Franchise with the Rangers. Any tips on what settings I should use against the CPU?

Ive been using Pulse pitching head to head against friends but that seems like it may be a bit too easy against the cpu. Although my difficulty setting is still at veteran. Would like to try out analog.

Also is Zone hitting a good choice against the cpu? Its what ive been using so far.

Ran Ran

Even though I told myself I would wait till next year's version since the reaction to this one hasn't been the best, I caved in and bought it anyway.

Damn you people for posting all those screenshots and gifs lol

So I was doing trophy hunting today.

Going after the Yu Darvish trophy (7 IP, 14 K's, 0 ER) and had 10 going into the sixth. First pitch of the sixth inning, he got hit in the face with a line drive and had to come out of the game.

The fuck.
Lol that's funny man.
Psn: NowhereFaded

Strider

So im about to start a Franchise with the Rangers. Any tips on what settings I should use against the CPU?

Ive been using Pulse pitching head to head against friends but that seems like it may be a bit too easy against the cpu. Although my difficulty setting is still at veteran. Would like to try out analog.

Also is Zone hitting a good choice against the cpu? Its what ive been using so far.

My only recommendation is to use dynamic difficulty. Seriously my feature of this years game. It starts you out easy but it'll adjust to you after a few games. This way you can use pulse pitching and the difficulty will increase until you no longer feel it's too easy vs the CPU.

In years past I could never find the right difficulty, but this takes care of it for me. Has made my franchise so much more enjoyable.

Garret

Guys, do you recommend this game to someone who has never seen a full baseball game and doesn't know the rules? I love sport games!

Guys, do you recommend this game to someone who has never seen a full baseball game and doesn't know the rules? I love sport games!

Sure. Like any new game, there is a learning curve. Batting in this is especially hard. But because of that, it's rewarding. Kinda like the Dark Souls of sports games, haha.

abrack08

I find that R2+RS influence works best when used in specific situations as opposed to every pitch.

For example, if you have a man on 2nd and want to get him home, influence a fly ball deep and send him home after the catch.

My biggest problem is base running and stealing.
I've lost critical runners to simple mistakes on my end, I just can't seem to use base running confidently as I have in the PS2 games.
Vita player, here.

My main baserunning problem is runners not advancing on sac bunts... Every single time I've sac bunted with a man on second, he runs back to second, quality of the bunt doesn't seem to matter. It's really frustrating, has (probably) cost me several runs. The most frustrating part is that I play this game a ton every year and have never run into this problem, so I think it's a new glitch or something... But haven't seen one other person complain about it yet :/

I THINK the issue might be this: Runners generally go back to second on ground balls hit to the left side, so I think it's counting my bunts towards third as ground balls to the left (even though in reality you WANT to bunt to third and make the 3B field it so he can't cover third and get the lead runner). When I've tried to bunt down the first base line instead, it usually goes right to the pitcher, which would actually make sense for making the runners run back because there's a decent chance of getting thrown out at 3rd.

Xater

My only recommendation is to use dynamic difficulty. Seriously my feature of this years game. It starts you out easy but it'll adjust to you after a few games. This way you can use pulse pitching and the difficulty will increase until you no longer feel it's too easy vs the CPU.

In years past I could never find the right difficulty, but this takes care of it for me. Has made my franchise so much more enjoyable.

The great thing about it is that it also seems to have difficulties in between the normal ones. It's what I am using as well since I grew out of beginner. My pitching quickly climbed to veteran but my hitting is still shitty at rookie. :(

Strider

The great thing about it is that it also seems to have difficulties in between the normal ones. It's what I am using as well since I grew out of beginner. My pitching quickly climbed to veteran but my hitting is still shitty at rookie. :(

Yea. I never read exactly how it works but I think there's 5 original difficulties and then 10 for dynamic... Does that sound right? An extra difficulty in between each default difficulty level.

Top Bottom