• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Lrrr

I haven't gotten to play it since the day it released. Has there been one since then? Do they do one every day?

Yeah, there was day 1 roster update that we had to manually download. I think they'll release a new one every week.

Sometimes in late game situations on vita, the game recommends you put a pinch hitter in for your pitcher and you can't back out of the screen and deny the request.
Does anyone know a way around this?

That's strange. On the PS4, I just press the circle button and it cancels the prompt and backs me out of the window.

Are you playing the Vita version or using it for remote play?

Yeah, there was day 1 roster update that we had to manually download. I think they'll release a new one every week.

That's strange. On the PS4, I just press the circle button and it cancels the prompt and backs me out of the window.

Are you playing the Vita version or using it for remote play?

Yeah it's pure Vita, not remote play... Circle button is unresponsive in this bug, which makes it so I have to pinch hit.
It's not every time. 70% of the time when the computer recommends pinch hitting I can't back out. Other times I can.

Lrrr

Yeah it's pure Vita, not remote play... Circle button is unresponsive in this bug, which makes it so I have to pinch hit.
It's not every time. 70% of the time when the computer recommends pinch hitting I can't back out. Other times I can.

That's awful and I feel for you. Baseball is such a strategic game that any bug which forces me to remove my pitcher - especially if I'm having a great game with him - is a definite game-breaker for me.

umm i have the boxed copy and I cant play homerun derby because it says the required data hasnt downloaded yet?

....It has install progess at 17%?

it isnt.... downloading the full game is it?

umm i have the boxed copy and I cant play homerun derby because it says the required data hasnt downloaded yet?

All PS4 games install fully to the HDD. What you can do while it installs will vary from game to game.

EDIT: Upon re-reading your comment it looks like you were just asking if it's downloading vs installing....it shouldn't be, but MLB 14 does take a longass time to install from disc. Not sure why.

All PS4 games install fully to the HDD. What you can do while it installs will vary from game to game.

EDIT: Upon re-reading your comment it looks like you were just asking if it's downloading vs installing....it shouldn't be, but MLB 14 does take a longass time to install from disc. Not sure why.

ah I was just scared looking at the long install timer in the left corner, and then homerun derby saying the required data hasnt been downloaded yet...Im like it better not be downloading a 42 gig game with it sitting in my disc drive *has steam flashbacks*.

A few shots I took. The lighting in this game is very nice, especially at night.

Oh yeah and I hit a walk-off home run earlier today....an amazing feeling to win the game like that with my RTTS player. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB_pi03Wr4A

iWIg1SavWi1jC.jpg

iPGV40MCMKIaX.jpg

isxSwWKlDavE4.jpg

abrack08

Anyone else have trouble sac-bunting? In my franchise, every single time I have a runner on second with no outs and try to bunt him to third, he runs back to second instead of advancing. I mean, if it were a bunt right back to the pitcher or something that might make sense, but no matter the quality of the bunt the runner always goes back to second. I've been thrown out a couple times trying to force them to go to third, because they start out running back towards second. It's really annoying and has cost me several runs, but I don't see mention of it anywhere.

Mifune

Mehmber
In the defense positioning menu press R2 to and then left/right on the D-pad to shift.

edit: I love pulse pitching. Tried it for the first time this year and pitching with a pitcher with low command is such a fun challenge. I was always too accurate with pure analog.

Ah thank you!

sqwarlock

I really like using analog hitting this year (always used zone + button in the past), but it's so hard to get my stride timing down. Even harder is checking my swing, which was never really an issue when using the button.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just experienced the blackout graphics bug wth is
this my ps4 over heating?

I just experienced what sure seemed like the ps4 getting too hot. First, the dirt around the bases all went yellow, and the crowd would go yellow off and on. Then, after about 30 minutes of that, the screen went super pixelated, like worse than an 8-bit game, couldn't read on-screen text. I thought it was just the game, but going to the ps4 home and it still looked the same. I rebooted the ps4 and it's back to normal. Scary! I hope it's just MLB 14 causing it due to some bug and not heat, but man it sure looked like overheating...

(note: my ps4 is out in the open, with nothing around it, in a 69 degree room.)

oatmeal

Banned
I just experienced what sure seemed like the ps4 getting too hot. First, the dirt around the bases all went yellow, and the crowd would go yellow off and on. Then, after about 30 minutes of that, the screen went super pixelated, like worse than an 8-bit game, couldn't read on-screen text. I thought it was just the game, but going to the ps4 home and it still looked the same. I rebooted the ps4 and it's back to normal. Scary! I hope it's just MLB 14 causing it due to some bug and not heat, but man it sure looked like overheating...

(note: my ps4 is out in the open, with nothing around it, in a 69 degree room.)

I've had similar issues...some parts of the game looked like the 360 when it was about to RROD. Just digital noise everywhere.

I played through it and it went away. Strange.

Is there any way to play ranked games online without guess pitch? Just had a guy I played against guess high fastball every single pitch. That kind of stuff just gets annoying and doesn't help the 'realism' factor this game tries shooting for.

Dragon

Banned
Just hit a walk off at Fenway Park against the Yankees with my created second baseman (who I had to move like seven positions because the Sox refused to play him). Feels good man.

Edit: While playing Road To The Show I get weird audio glitches (the crowd noise randomly will come in after being completely silent). Anyone else getting that?

oatmeal

Banned
Starting year two of RTTS...starting pitcher...

Still in AAA, but I'm only 19 so I am not too concerned. I'll force my way into a call up. After striking out so many in AA, i was a little disappointed with my 5-ish K/9IP in AAA. Hoping to improve that.

oatmeal

Banned
Interesting. I started year two and I was on the major league team. Sweet. In a mop up role. It's super easy to rack up points that way (not).

Dragon

Banned
Interesting. I started year two and I was on the major league team. Sweet. In a mop up role. It's super easy to rack up points that way (not).

Yeah this happened to me too as a SS. I played once a week and didn't get any points, so I ended up changing positions. You can use those interactions to tell your coach to do something about it but it's not necessarily going to work.

oatmeal

Banned
Damnit...May starts and I get demoted to AAA...and I'm a reliever :'(

(EDIT)
I will say that I love the sound difference between playing in an empty stadium and being in the bigs.

Dante316

Ok I have played enough to provide tips for new people to the show. Zone hitting with reticle is pretty simple. You move the reticle to where u THINK the pitch will be! Thats it, your not deciding to hit it to left or right, your deciding where ball will land.

Just hold a position and then use X for normal swings, O for when u at 2 strikes or square when ur 2-0, 3-0 or when u guess pitch right.

You can also influence to to hit . R2 plus right analog up for fly up, down for ground, left and right for fields. It will vibrate so u know u did it. It will try to influence wont happen often. So dont expect 100% or even 50% control.

U can also use catcher 2 for batter position, will show u better view of angle of ball. Its all about patience and have fun.

macewank

ah I was just scared looking at the long install timer in the left corner, and then homerun derby saying the required data hasnt been downloaded yet...Im like it better not be downloading a 42 gig game with it sitting in my disc drive *has steam flashbacks*.

actually, yes. it's downloading the game.

the download and disc versions of MLB 14 on PS4 are both right around 5GB of install space. once the game has finished installing and you launch it, it downloads the remaining files.. I want to say around 38GB give or take a few.

actually, yes. it's downloading the game.

the download and disc versions of MLB 14 on PS4 are both right around 5GB of install space. once the game has finished installing and you launch it, it downloads the remaining files.. I want to say around 38GB give or take a few.

How do you play the game then if you aren't online...?

Jesb

They really recycled a ton of old assets still in this game. I don't own it but watching video so much looks the same. The commentating saying exact phrases, umpire animation reactions, it looks like a carbon copy of what they already made before.

shuri

Banned
I gotta admit, my last baseball game was Ken Griffey jr on the snes. What the ever living FUCK is up with the controls in this game?! I feel like I have to watch a youtube tutorial to understand how it works. Why are there so many options and suboptions for pitching and batting.

I keep making the dumbest mistakes and losing games because of this.

Beginner mode controls are too simple too. This kinda sucks :(

kasane

I gotta admit, my last baseball game was Ken Griffey jr on the snes. What the ever living FUCK is up with the controls in this game?! I feel like I have to watch a youtube tutorial to understand how it works. Why are there so many options and suboptions for pitching and batting.

I keep making the dumbest mistakes and losing games because of this.

Beginner mode controls are too simple too. This kinda sucks :(

of course its kinda complicated

just tweak it a bit

do you want 1 button swinging? you can do that

you can do pulse pitching or analog

you can also tweak the difficulty settings

so I turned league options to have flex manual scheduling, up to 2 series after the first one...I'm trying to sim all games and advance and I'm pretty sure I've done that...but it won't let me advance! says I still have shit to resolve

I guess only one week at a time will work...or complete open scheduling. who knows :(

v1lla21

Great game man! I thought I had the game and then you went and hit a fucking grand slam! Should've took Kershaw out
Great game bro :) lol there was many times when you'd tag me out and I didn't know what was going on. Yeah that last inning was intense, I was nervous while pitching because I started throwing more balls and I pitched some that I thought you were going to knock out in prior innings. That grand slam saved me. I didn't know what balking was until today haha.

Great game bro :) lol there was many times when you'd tag me out and I didn't know what was going on. Yeah that last inning was intense, I was nervous while pitching because I started throwing more balls and I pitched some that I thought you were going to knock out in prior innings. That grand slam saved me. I didn't know what balking was until today haha.

Your baserunners would just either stop between bases or would keep running lol. I kept messing up fielding though had like 5 errors!

My AAA starting pitcher finally got called up by the Yankees, first game went pretty well, 7 innings pitched, 6H, 2ER, 8Ks no walks, I earned a no decision. Left with the game tied 2, 2. Was surprised that the difference between AAA and The Show wasn't as big as expected. Felt like another AAA game.

We'll see how it goes from there. Loving the game so far. No complaints.

v1lla21

Your baserunners would just either stop between bases or would keep running lol. I kept messing up fielding though had like 5 errors!
Haha, yeah it sucked. I'm glad there wasn't lag as it was very enjoyable. You would've had that first game if it weren't for the errors I was getting.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
My friend mentioned how none of the buildings in the skyline have lights when it's night time. Now I can't stop looking at how dumb it looks at night! Haha

Top Bottom