• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips on getting walks? This is my first time playing this game. I'm just getting the hang of hitting. I'm using beginner settings.

A few questions for those who've played online:

I was playing with a friend last night who just got the game and when he was batting he didn't see the yellow PCI indicator like I did. Two games in a row. He read me his batting settings and they were identical to mine. Any ideas?

What do the random vibrations mean while pitching or hitting?

When doing guess pitch in exhibition I can see a little semi transparent triangle to represent what area I've selected while online I could see none. Is this normal?

Finally there was a decent amount of random lag and weird fielding glitches where what he did didn't translate well to what I saw. Servers getting slammed or is that something that needs to be patched?

Xater

Uuuuuh the game no longer launches for me. After the screen with the Sony logo on black blackground I get a completely black screen and nothing happens anymore.

Strider

So now that the game has been out a few days... How's everyone's online experience going? Is it playable?

I've only tried one game online in The Show ever and that was MLB 12. The game was unplayable due to the lag and I haven't bothered since especially considering everyone else always reported the same connection problems.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So now that the game has been out a few days... How's everyone's online experience going? Is it playable?

I've only tried one game online in The Show ever and that was MLB 12. The game was unplayable due to the lag and I haven't bothered since especially considering everyone else always reported the same connection problems.

I've played a couple online games and it's serviceable. I wouldn't call it great or anything. It's a bit better than on PS3 imo. The first few at bats can be a bit choppy. I suspect that's something to do with the netcode adjusting to the connection. Usually smooths out. There have been some fielding/running glitches where one person see one thing and another person see's something totally different.

Online league interface is very slow and clunky. It seems like it is saving stats though and that's an improvement over last year apparently. They still have a long way to go with online before I'm willing to say it's 'good'.

Hellshy.

This game is really good. I spent abput a hr creating a character to look like my 5 yr old son. I got it pretty xlose and now I have a idea of what he might look like when he is 18 lol. I decided to make him a closer in rtts. I wasnt sure if that eas a good position to start eith but I realy like the cluth pitching aspect of it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
They called this a fair ball, lol.

edit: It's actually fair.

iPZut3soHbB3k.gif

fritolay

My AA pitcher lost a no hit shut out giving up a double 2 outs in the 9th. Next game he had another shout out going, and he had no energy, and gave up a HR. Game after that he was ripped in the 1st inning.

DrBo42

The amount of errors the in-field makes in RTTS makes my blood boil. Completely destroys my stats as a pitcher when they error off all these easy ground balls. Fucking garbage.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just got stuck in replay mode on my rtts. :(

edit: I accidently hit L3 and started recording without realizing it.

I've never had as much success in RTTS as I am having now. I've been a pitcher in the past (I'm typically a batter), but I've never had such a hot start. Although I'm only in AA (Bowie Baysox) I am 4-0 with 3 complete games (2 of them were shutouts). I also had a 6.2 inning shutout. In my 4 starts, I've only given up one run (that game was one of my complete games). I've just been overmatching my competition. I hope to be called up to AAA Norfolk soon, but then again, I'm enjoying my success in AA, I don't want to ruin anything.

Edit- After going 5-0, I got called up to AAA. I'm currently 1-0! I wonder how much longer it'll be until I'm in the Majors!

Maybesew

How many seasons does it typically take to make it to the bigs in RTTS as a closer? I just finished my first season in AA. I made the all star team, had over 50 saves and my team won the southern league championship.

I just started year 2, and was wondering if I should expect to get called up to AAA this year.

How many seasons does it typically take to make it to the bigs in RTTS as a closer? I just finished my first season in AA. I made the all star team, had over 50 saves and my team won the southern league championship.

I just started year 2, and was wondering if I should expect to get called up to AAA this year.

You should probably make AAA your second season and MLB the third if you keep up those stats, unless your franchise has an immediate need for a closer because of injuries or other factors (or if you get traded to a team that has that need)

You could also be called up for setup/long relief too

Haha. Good game. I was swinging at everything the last innings hoping I'd get something xD those damn change ups.

You too. I kept messing up with me relief pitching. After I pinch hit the next inning I tried to warm up my closer and sub my set up man in but forgot to make the sub. You hit a HR off of my backup catcher lol.

v1lla21

You too. I kept messing up with me relief pitching. After I pinch hit the next inning I tried to warm up my closer and sub my set up man in but forgot to make the sub. You hit a HR off of my backup catcher lol.
That first inning screwed me up :(

Damn why does everyone quit when losing :( it sucks that I can't finish a ranked game.

slapnuts

That first inning screwed me up :(

Damn why does everyone quit when losing :( it sucks that I can't finish a ranked game.

This is why we only play with people we know or join a league. Im on a league over at Operation Sports and all other non league play are peeps i know that are NOT cheaters or poor sport cry babies that quit if they are about to get a loss on their record. So F'n pathetic ....

About the game though - totally love it on PS4. They are working on some of the dark lighting issues and should be fixed in a upcoming patch from what one of the dev's said. Its not a widespread issue..just with a few stadiums and occasions.

UNBELIEVABLE.

The same fucking glitch from last year is still in the game. When you go to sort through stuff alphabetically in the Vaults, whenever you go to the next page, it switches the sorting to user rating with no way to change it back to alphabetic.

If any of you from the dev team are reading this, how the FUCK do you let this happen AGAIN? Shit like this boils my blood when I pay $60 for this game every year only to see the same problems again. I submitted a bug report on your pretty little new bug submission thing about this last year. Of course, probably no one looked at it and fuck all was done about it.

Do all online ranked games have quick counts on? Could have swore I played one earlier and it wasn't on but now it is everytime.

Edit: NM found you can change a lot of stuff for online rated games in user settings. Options to turn off guess pitch, quick counts, and a lot more.

sqwarlock

I always create more than one RTTS player each year (SS, SP, and either a CP or outfielder). My SP just finished his prospect, and good lord did I do bad. Sixth round, #14 by the Angels. :(

I always create more than one RTTS player each year (SS, SP, and either a CP or outfielder). My SP just finished his prospect, and good lord did I do bad. Sixth round, #14 by the Angels. :(

I do the same. Usually a SP and a CF. Keeps me interested for a long time since it's two fundamentally different ways to play the game.

Lrrr

I was using Felix Hernandez and had a perfect game going against the Twins for five innings. I lose it in the top of the 6th on a single up the middle. Still had a one-hitter until the 8th when pitches that are INSIDE the strike zone are called "balls" by the Ump and I finally gave up a run. Hernandez is depleted at 130 pitches, but no worries, I get out of the inning still up 3-1 and my Closer (Fernando Rodney) is ready for the 9th.

Everything unravels. The "strikes" being called balls continues. Multiple hits, a walk, a suicide squeeze and my first baseman (Justin Smoak) letting a potential double-play ball go RIGHT UNDER his glove all add up to me losing 4-3. Until the eighth inning, I had that trophy ("King" Felix Hernandez) within my grasps. I normally don't play for trophies, but the ones for Pitchers seem alright. That's the second trophy in two days I've just missed out on (As Strasburg I defeated the Dodgers 1-0, but only had 11/12 Ks needed). :(

Oh well. I'm enjoying the game immensely so far. If they release a new Roster today, I'll start my RTTS player.

Is something different about analog throwing this year? I've been averaging 4-6 throwing errors a game, still winning though, but I wasn't this bad in previous years.

Trinculo

Neo Member
Anyone know how to reset beginner batting to 1/6? My wife created her own RTTS player and wanted to start on 1/6 but it's already at 6/6 and won't reset for her.

Fuck! I was just playing an online ranked match against the Yankees, one of my two most hated teams in all of sports, I hit 4 HRs in the first to take the lead 6-0. Then with two outs in the bottom half if the inning the game crashes with a weird error that I heard a couple other people have experienced :/

Going to say that I love this game. With the right settings and sliders it produces a very realistic game of baseball.

But...

The online is some of the worst I've ever seen.

My friend and I played 3 games today. We have 21 ms ping router to router and yet the game was still all over the place. Defensive players constantly warping... very inconsistent pitching and hitting... and multiple times on mine and his screen both it showed the ball being overthrown or missed and then we'd advance runners and suddenly get tagged out when it warped back to where it was actually at.

And it crashed when I spammed L1 to advance runner on a ball hit in the gap during extra innings.

I always thought Madden had some terrible netcode in how it felt like you were playing in mud the entire game... but this makes Madden look excellent. How is this really acceptable in this day and age?

MKAllDay

So I had something very strange happen in my RTTS and I was curious if anyone else has experienced this. I am going into my 4th season and all of a sudden there are a bunch of 90+ overall rookies across the league. Including a few 99 overalls.

Joe Lee

So I was doing trophy hunting today.

Going after the Yu Darvish trophy (7 IP, 14 K's, 0 ER) and had 10 going into the sixth. First pitch of the sixth inning, he got hit in the face with a line drive and had to come out of the game.

The fuck.

Lrrr

Going after the Yu Darvish trophy (7 IP, 14 K's, 0 ER) and had 10 going into the sixth. First pitch of the sixth inning, he got hit in the face with a line drive and had to come out of the game.

The fuck.

Damn, that's a tough break.

Darvish will be the next trophy I go after, but so far, as per my previous post, I'm 0-2.

oatmeal

Banned

The fuck.

He got Floried.

Joe Lee

At this point I think I've gotten about half of the player specific trophies. Already took care of the other pitcher trophies (Strasburg, Hernandez, and Kimbrel) and I also have Goldschmidt and Altuve. The other hitters I keep on falling one necessary thing away; last game I played I fell a triple short of the cycle with Trout, an RBI short for Davis, a double short for Wright, and a stolen base short for Puig.

Goddamn.

cashman

Banned
First time with baseball video game since MVP 2005, and I'm pretty happy so far. Hitting is hard as hell but I'm getting used to it.

They called this a fair ball, lol.

edit: It's actually fair.

iPZut3soHbB3k.gif

that might be a fair ball, but I have no idea how that is physically possible.

v1lla21

The fuck.
Lololo, this is pretty damn funny. I haven't done any of the player specific trophies.

Top Bottom