• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

My only recommendation is to use dynamic difficulty. Seriously my feature of this years game. It starts you out easy but it'll adjust to you after a few games. This way you can use pulse pitching and the difficulty will increase until you no longer feel it's too easy vs the CPU.

In years past I could never find the right difficulty, but this takes care of it for me. Has made my franchise so much more enjoyable.

Hmm will definitely try out dynamic thanks!

Playing this game really makes me wish Madden was as in depth into the sport as this is :/

Bought the game today.

lol wut at everything having to load while the game is technically running. Like stadiums weren't unlocked lol.

Anyways played a game of Red Sox (me) vs Braves (CPU) with Quick Counts on and beginner mode (don't slay me, I'm a Show noobie)

I like how the game tells me I'm gradually progressing to playing on Rookie and then will dynamically shift the difficulty as I get better.

Beginner mode is a breeze but I did hit a lot of foul balls. Won 3-0 and Lester had 18 strikeouts. Awesome game so far. Started up a Tigers franchise as of the current day. Will start the three game stand against the Red Sox sometime tonight or tomorrow.

d0nnie

Banned
A little late to the party, but I have to say that this game is the main reason why I purchased my PS4 (did the same thing with the PS3). I am glad that it was not a disappointment.

The game looks great and it plays great. I don't play it online, so I can't comment on the online gameplay. Nevertheless, I am a happy camper, since I've yet to run into glitches, and I am a quarter into my franchise season with the Giants.

Well worth MY $60....

Bowler

I would love to enjoy this game, but damn when you constantly get thumped online because I can't hit, yet my opponents seem to be power swinging everything with good locations. Fuck

sqwarlock

Oh my god are you fucking kidding me? Two outs away from my first complete game (still AA) and I get removed because I may have a broken finger? FUCK YOU, MLB 14!

EDIT: 8.1 innings, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts, player of the game. I really wanted to finish that game out.

EDIT 2: Turns out it was a strained finger. Not placed on the DL, but I still miss a few games.

New to PS4, just bought it last week or so to play The Show. Has anyone else noticed that sometimes there is vibration and sometimes not. Like it randomly works some nights. Is this the games fault, or PS4 faults?

Xater

New to PS4, just bought it last week or so to play The Show. Has anyone else noticed that sometimes there is vibration and sometimes not. Like it randomly works some nights. Is this the games fault, or PS4 faults?

Haven't noticed anything weird when it comes to the rumble.

Is the screen ratio off on this game? I have the TV set to full pixel and everything else on the PS4 fits perfectly. This, however, has a border all around the screen.

Strider

Is the screen ratio off on this game? I have the TV set to full pixel and everything else on the PS4 fits perfectly. This, however, has a border all around the screen.

It's always like this for MLB The Show. I'm away from my PS4 right now but if I remember correclty you can fix this by going to the PS4 dashboard---> settings ---> sound and screen ----> adjust screen size(?) or something like that and maximize the border. I did this the other day and it fixed the border surrounding the game.

Hmm dynamic difficulty is definitely working for me.

I had to keep hitting at beginner but then I was like..ok that's too many home run hits.

so now I'm on dynamic for both and apparently I'm already a veteran pitcher.

One question tho: Those yellow arches under the pitches as you're about to throw them. Is that the ball trajectory lines or where the ball is suppose to land?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hmm dynamic difficulty is definitely working for me.

I had to keep hitting at beginner but then I was like..ok that's too many home run hits.

so now I'm on dynamic for both and apparently I'm already a veteran pitcher.

One question tho: Those yellow arches under the pitches as you're about to throw them. Is that the ball trajectory lines or where the ball is suppose to land?

Those yellow arrows are where the ball should go by the time it reaches the plate if you are accurate.

In the vita version you can't do replay challenges, is this in the PS4 version or will we have to wait until next year?

My base running is a disaster. I'm stranding like 10+ guys a game. If I let the computer handle it for me it's not much better.

gazele

Banned
What are people using for pitching mode?

Tried to do a Rtts pitcher last night and couldn't decide, I'll probably start it over

Lexxism

This fckng manager. He just let me threw 157 pitches
10273245_10152191411828732_1187035440431362943_o.jpg

Joe Lee

So my RTTS starting pitcher got called up to the bigs today. I had been dominating AAA; over the first month+ of the season I was 4-1 with a sub-2 ERA and an OBA of .167.

First game up, everything is going smoothly. I set down the first 9 in order. Then the 4th inning comes and I implode and give up six runs like nothing, with a seventh coming in as an inherited runner.

Yikes.

How high is your stamina rating? I'm playing at a starting pitcher and they have only let me crack 100 pitches like once. In fact I've been playing The Show since 06 and I don't remember seeing a pitch count that high.

sqwarlock

The game that I posted about earlier (where I sprained my finger two outs away from a complete game) I was at about 125 pitches. Just insane that the AI managers would allow a AA player to throw that many.

What are people using for pitching mode?

Tried to do a Rtts pitcher last night and couldn't decide, I'll probably start it over

I was using the meter interface like I've always done, but it's still just as inconsistent as ever so I decided to try to learn pulse pitching. I prefer it now, honestly. At least now I know that the meatball going over the plate was because I pressed 'X' at the wrong time and not because my player's stats seemed to override the perfect meter presses.

Lexxism

How high is your stamina rating? I'm playing at a starting pitcher and they have only let me crack 100 pitches like once. In fact I've been playing The Show since 06 and I don't remember seeing a pitch count that high.

The game that I posted about earlier (where I sprained my finger two outs away from a complete game) I was at about 125 pitches. Just insane that the AI managers would allow a AA player to throw that many.

75 is my pitcher's stamina rating. This isn't the first time that the idiot manager let me do this. I noticed that whenever the team had a big lead and the pitcher was giving a QS, he really let the pitcher to throw as many as he can. The image was from my player's 2nd year. In his first yr, he had like 3 games with over 120 pitches lol I'm quite surprised that he didn't even have an injury so far. This is a TJ surgery all over it.

I was using the meter interface like I've always done, but it's still just as inconsistent as ever so I decided to try to learn pulse pitching. I prefer it now, honestly. At least now I know that the meatball going over the plate was because I pressed 'X' at the wrong time and not because my player's stats seemed to override the perfect meter presses.

My bastard of a manager left me in for 130 pitches~~
Hes trying to end my career. I want to file a complaint with the players union.

Javes

Is my lightbar supposed to be a different color than the normal blue when playing this game? It's turquoise instead of blue. Also, I can't wait until MP3 functionality is patched into PS4 because this game has the worst licensed soundtrack I've ever heard.

sangreal

is the show live always bad at lineups? I'm trying to play tonight's game and it has Kuroda v. Colon. It should be Whitley v. deGrom. Even originally it should've been CC v. Gee. The live box score is accurate though

Javes

Did you recently turn down the intensity of the light? I know the dimmer light looks more turquoise.

Yeah I've set it to dim but what's weird is when I press the PS button to go to the OS screen it turns blue again. Not that big of a deal just wondering if anyone else's lightbar is this color when playing the game.

Lexxism

Yeah I've set it to dim but what's weird is when I press the PS button to go to the OS screen it turns blue again. Not that big of a deal just wondering if anyone else's lightbar is this color when playing the game.

Yes. That's how it is. The lightbar colour changes depending on the game you are playing. Like in NFS when it changes back to blue and red depending if you're a policeman or racer.

Neo Member
This is my first Show. So I bought the game on PSN last night (PS4). It said it installed it in the dashboard but when I go to play it is "installing." And installing slowly. Like 1% per hour. Is this the actually download? It is always this horrid? The batting practice has been fun. I created a pro in RTTS just to find out I couldn't start the pre-draft process. Disappointed in the implementation so far.

sangreal

This is my first Show. So I bought the game on PSN last night (PS4). It said it installed it in the dashboard but when I go to play it is "installing." And installing slowly. Like 1% per hour. Is this the actually download? It is always this horrid? The batting practice has been fun. I created a pro in RTTS just to find out I couldn't start the pre-draft process. Disappointed in the implementation so far.
\

it only downloads/installs enough for you to browse the menus initially. No, not every game is like that. You can see the actual download % by going to the ps4 menu and hitting options->info on the mlb tile

Neo Member
it only downloads/installs enough for you to browse the menus initially. No, not every game is like that. You can see the actual download % by going to the ps4 menu and hitting options->info on the mlb tile

Thanks. I went to the franchise mode to start that (with the Yankees actually) just to find out the spring league stadium wasn't downloaded yet haha. Ugh. Such a tease.

Xater

I have an issue with sliding. No matter what direction I push the right stick in I always slide in head first. What am I doing wrong here?

Bundy

Banned
As I'm currently not in the states, I've got a quick question:
Are there any MLB The Show (PS4) TV ads?
Have you seen them? A lot?

Joe Lee

So my RTTS starting pitcher got called up to the bigs today. I had been dominating AAA; over the first month+ of the season I was 4-1 with a sub-2 ERA and an OBA of .167.

First game up, everything is going smoothly. I set down the first 9 in order. Then the 4th inning comes and I implode and give up six runs like nothing, with a seventh coming in as an inherited runner.

Yikes.

So after this debacle I've turned in three stellar starts allowing only one run in each. 7 IP in the first two starts and a complete game in the last one I pitched.

Okay then.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
As I'm currently not in the states, I've got a quick question:
Are there any MLB The Show (PS4) TV ads?
Have you seen them? A lot?

I watch baseball on TV daily and I see them a few times during each game. I've also seen the #Baseball is Better adverts on ESPN and Fox Sports 1

Trigonx

I don't understand my manager some times. I'll smack 3 HRs with 9 RBI in a game batting in the 6 spot, then the next game he puts me in the 9th spot. My last game I hit for a cycle in the 6 spot and he finally puts me in the 3rd batting spot the next game.

This game needs to work on grass, lighting, and animations among some other things before I give it another run. The game just doesn't have a real atmosphere, though, it is better than anything else out there. The grass is so pale in some stadiums and the lighting still seems wonky in many of them that I have been to in real life.

Better than MLB 07!

With Sliding you must know the slide window in order to get the desired effect you are looking for. A few years back Sony San Diego did a blog over at Operation Sports explaining how to slide when they implemented different angle head/foot slides. They work very well I would say start your input when the base runner is about 10 feet(guestimate) away from the base and you will get the type of slide you input.

Another thing if you don't input your type of slide before entering the slide window, the CPU will choose a slide type hence base running "assist".

Xater

With Sliding you must know the slide window in order to get the desired effect you are looking for. A few years back Sony San Diego did a blog over at Operation Sports explaining how to slide when they implemented different angle head/foot slides. They work very well I would say start your input when the base runner is about 10 feet(guestimate) away from the base and you will get the type of slide you input.

Another thing if you don't input your type of slide before entering the slide window, the CPU will choose a slide type hence base running "assist".

Then I guess I should try putting in the slide command earlier.

Top Bottom