• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Fox318

GPGTdaJ.png

Bz7VJ1u.png

5fxgitF.png

nkwOQmx.png

WzbuHIh.png

RGphpQr.png

4n3XuTR.png

4jArbq7.jpg

B3wsQI2.jpg

FT0Sgjx.jpg

aFIGurANT

#TeamIvar looks like a fried member w/ genital warts on the side. Nast.

In Real Baseball News, Baseball Prospectus started their 30-team preview series on the Effectively Wild podcast. Lots of prospect talk and team-building theory going on so far with the Phillies (going off projected Ws in reverse order). The Twins were today if our couple of elusive MIN-gaffers are reading.

Malo

Banned
Apparently A-Rod met with the Yankees to apologize for past couple of years (ped suspension, suing mlb and the Yankees team doctor, etc).

MLB and the Yankees should apologize to him.

ARod should call a press conference and be like "I'm sorry...sorry that George isn't here to see me fleece his precious Yankees of $60 million more dollars! MONEY OVER BITCHES! Centaur life"

zulux21

How much is it a month compared to the yearly rate?

each month is $25 (I think I can't find the info, ideally they didn't get rid of the monthly sub)
a year is $130

there is 6 months in a season so by month would cost $150

two years ago fathers day it was 50% off for the rest of the year so the total for the year ended up being something like $100

last year it was $12 in august for the rest of the year so the year after monthly to that point was $112

to be fair I only paid $37 last year because my team sucked :p

Sanjuro

I want A-Rod to rake, get traded to a contender, and win the World Series. Hopefully the Dodgers.

That is the only scenario I would accept a Doyers WS victory.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I want A-Rod to rake, get traded to a contender, and win the World Series. Hopefully the Dodgers.

That is the only scenario I would accept a Doyers WS victory.

I'd rather he go to STL instead in that scenario. Show he can win The Cardinal Way. And win the WS against the Mariners for extra lulz.

zychi

Banned
I'd rather he go to STL instead in that scenario. Show he can win The Cardinal Way. And win the WS against the Mariners for extra lulz.

A known steroid user in STL? Never. All that Papi hate, Bonds hate etc, and then they sign/trade for one a roid user? STL NEVER allows roid users on their team!

i

i

Cardinal way!

Sanjuro

Dodgers are Yankees west though. The notion of them winning, with A-Rod, with that payroll, while Cashman holds his Big Tex between his legs would be amazing.

I don't even hate the Yankees, and even Yankees fans could find the humor in this after how they have treated the dude.

aFIGurANT

A-rod is never gonna be anything other than a Ryan Howard-esque DH. M. Carpenter >>> A-rod and I think the lizard wizard Juan Uribe is probably even preferable to that mess. PECOTA has Rodriguez as a .247/.324/.408 hitter with 8 HRs. I take the over on that many bombs but the rest is probably accurate.

Also does anyone else reading the Derek Jeter entry in this year's BP annual get the joke? I mean I think I get it, but it's kinda weird they projected him for 2015 on top of the rest of it. I can copy the text if people want, it's sorta amusing.

Braves have signed Jose Veras and Matt Capps to minor league deals. Veras is being paid by the Cubs in 2015.

Also, it looks like the Marlins are hosting the 2017 All-Star Game. Home Run Derby should be fun in that canyon. So that's three straight years the ASG will be played in an NL park (Cincinnati in 2015, San Diego in 2016, Miami in 2017).

The playable legends in MLB '15: The Show have been revealed. There is one legend representing each team.

Al Kaline (DET)
Andre Dawson (WSH)
Brooks Robinson (BAL)
Cliff Floyd (MIA)
Dante Bichette (COL)
Dave Winfield (SD)
Dennis Eckersley (OAK)
Edgar Martinez (SEA)
Ernie Banks (CHC)
Fred McGriff (TB)
George Brett (KC)
Harmon Killebrew (MIN)
Jeff Bagwell (HOU)
Joe Carter (TOR)
Johnny Bench (CIN)
Kenny Lofton (CLE)
Mike Schmidt (PHI)
Nolan Ryan (TEX)
Orel Hershiser (LAD)
Ozzie Smith (STL)
Phil Niekro (ATL)
Ralph Kiner (PIT)
Robin Yount (MIL)
Rod Carew (LAA)
Steve Finley (ARI)
Ted Williams (BOS)
Tom Seaver (NYM)
Will Clark (SF)
Yogi Berra (NYY)
Zack McDowell (CWS)

zulux21

Jack McDowell? Meh...

yeah... calling him a legend is a stretch. he wasn't bad with the white sox but he is not remotely an important player in white sox history let alone a legend. I am guessing they wanted some balance with batters and pitchers and said... screw the white sox we need another pitcher. As it should have easily been Frank Thomas as the legend.

alternatively the following players are hall of fame players that had their numbers retired for the white sox.
Nellie Fox
Luke Appling
Luis Aparicio
Ted Lyons
Carlton Fisk

and a better pitcher choice from the white sox would have been
Billy Pierce
who has his number retired with the white sox.

Imagine Aroid coming out and hitting 280 with 20 homers 89 RBIs. Will the Yankees love him then?

Let's assume he puts up those numbers. We will assume he has 600 plate appearances.

That would be ~what Matt Holliday put up last year (.272/.370/.441 20 HR 89 RBI). Using this WAR calculator: http://wahoosonfirst.com/war-calculator/the-calculators/version-2-1/ and giving him 2 for both base running and fielding (1 is the lowest) he would be worth 5.1 2012 WAR or about $22.9mm 2012 dollars. (This is also assuming he plays 150 games at third).

Do we really think A-Rod will put up a .811 OPS though?

Edit if he plays 120 games with the same triple slash he is still a 4 WAR player (using 2012 number which this calculator does). But again that's assuming he plays third. As a DH he drops to a 2.4 WAR player.

Friggz

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Padres made a "very aggressive" offer for Cole Hamels. When Amaro declined, they signed James Shields.

no problem with that. hamels is their biggest trade chip and the most improtant piece to their rebuilding, no reason to trade him off for what you dont consider a fair deal. Im sure whatever the padres offered wasnt equal to betts or swihart.

Maikel Franco looks like he's ready for the big leagues. Dude destroyed the DR winter league.

An OBP of .335 is destroying the DR winter league? He struck out twice as often as he walked as well.

Carlos Peguero had an OPS of almost 1.000 in the DR Winter League. Carlos Peguero has a career OPS of .623!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
no problem with that. hamels is their biggest trade chip and the most improtant piece to their rebuilding, no reason to trade him off for what you dont consider a fair deal. Im sure whatever the padres offered wasnt equal to betts or swihart.

I'm guessing Amaro thinks he can get a better return closer to the trade deadline. The risk of course is if Hamels goes down early in the season.

Top Bottom