• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

3N16MA

Banned
Pitching carried them. Second highest WAR in all of baseball, BP arms contributed to a lot of that. However I think the loss of McCarthy and Kuroda can't be undersold. Losing your two best SP's is never a good thing. But we'll see how it works itself out.

It's the ageing, seemingly power deprived bats that would concern me.

Farm depth is the best in baseball, but there isn't a top end marquee prospect to make their ranking pop.

Interested to see where they go, if they manage to keep Nova/Pineda healthy (CC is done) they could sneak up on 90 wins.

But that's a big if.

Tanaka was the Yanks best SP in 2014 despite pitching 136.1 innings.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Future Yankees SS.

I mean, yeah. The Padres aren't signing Moncada. That's just silly. Its going to cost $80MM to sign this guy considering bonuses and international signing taxes. I don't care how much the O'Malley's want to have a winning product, that's not something the franchise can actually shoulder, particularly for a dude who probably needs a month or two of seasoning.

And why would he even *want* to play here? He's playing for a future 9 figure deal, why play somewhere where your numbers suck even if you're good?

zulux21

I know the Yankees fan base expects a playoff berth every year but look around the league. Missing a wildcard spot by 3.5 games isn't as bad as winning 70 games.

personally I consider it worse. If I am going to miss the playoffs anyways I would much rather have a higher draft pick that is protected than a lower draft pick that is unprotected :p

Friggz

I mean, yeah. The Padres aren't signing Moncada. That's just silly. Its going to cost $80MM to sign this guy considering bonuses and international signing taxes. I don't care how much the O'Malley's want to have a winning product, that's not something the franchise can actually shoulder, particularly for a dude who probably needs a month or two of seasoning.

And why would he even *want* to play here? He's playing for a future 9 figure deal, why play somewhere where your numbers suck even if you're good?

hes going to be in the minors for a few years. hes only 19 remember.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
hes going to be in the minors for a few years. hes only 19 remember.

I don't think he will be. You can't pay $80mm for a dude and let him sit in the minors. I virtually guarantee he's in the majors within a year of signing.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I don't think he will be. You can't pay $80mm for a dude and let him sit in the minors. I virtually guarantee he's in the majors within a year of signing.

I mean it's a signing bonus and a tax, so it's not the same as an MLB contract. You'd be better off giving him whatever time he needs in the minors in order to ensure the best production from him during his pre-arb years, to help make up for the tax outlay.

Wow Matz at 33. Mets have 9 starters who have a case n capable of being in the rotation this season.

Our pitching value can only get better this year. Considering it was dead last in 2014.

Matt Harvey comes back, Thor gets into the line-up, Wheeler and DeGawd keep improving, maybe we even get a Matz sighting at the end of the year.

Angry Grimace

I mean it's a signing bonus and a tax, so it's not the same as an MLB contract. You'd be better off giving him whatever time he needs in the minors in order to ensure the best production from him during his pre-arb years, to help make up for the tax outlay.

Not that the Padres are shelling out $80mm but they're planning to run Alexi Amarista out there as the everyday shortstop.

aFIGurANT

Damn, I just read that Puig Defection story that ESPN the Magazine ran since I was researching Moncada....

Someone needs to give Obama a high-five for trying to get rid of all those various hues of shady when it comes to Cuba. If anyone hasn't read it click here.

Malo

Banned
1. Man of Steel was a huge mixed bag of a film to start off this DC plan that is supposed to go on for another twenty years.

2. Ketchup doesn't belong on most things, let along a nice sausage.
I don't want to start up this argument again, but I'll let you know one thing, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.
Man of Steel was trash.
You've been a good member of the council, but we have to let you go. I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Sanjuro

I don't want to start up this argument again, but I'll let you know one thing, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

You've been a good member of the council, but we have to let you go. I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

If you don't like Superman, I fully understand why you would like this film.

Syrinx

Wow Matz at 33. Mets have 9 starters who have a case n capable of being in the rotation this season.

Surprised to see Matz that high; he had a great season last year though.

Other complaints about him aside, Sandy has done a phenomenal job rebuilding our farm.

The Braves have hired Fred McGriff and re-hired Greg Walker to be assistants to John Hart. McGriff will assist with scouting while Walker will instruct hitting in the minors.

3N16MA

Banned
What's wrong with either of those things? Sanjuro pls.

1. MoS does a poor job developing Clark before he actually puts on the cape. They got bits of it right with the flashbacks but Clark is simply boring as an adult. Should have used BB as a template on how to build the man before he becomes a hero.

2. Ketchup is good. You have people bitching about it being on a hot dog or sausage and then put it on a burger.

Sanjuro

The Braves have hired Fred McGriff and re-hired Greg Walker to be assistants to John Hart. McGriff will assist with scouting while Walker will instruct hitting in the minors.

2015 redeemed for the Barves.

FQD1WBQ.png

Top Bottom