• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

The Mets would be a good choice. Can be a hell of starting rotation. Nice bullpen. Young position players mixed with veterans trying to get the team back above .500. Juan Lagares catching all balls in CF.and the majestic return of Harvey Day.

Harvey daaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

He's not skipping starts either.

I'd never recommend the Marlins if you want a long term fandom. they are up and coming now, and might be good for the next 2-3 years, but after that c4 will be strategically placed all over the club house and anyone of value will be taken out and the shambles of the team will dominate last place for a few more years unlit they abuse the draft to get enough good players to make another small run in 6-8 years.

personally I would go with the pirates as they seem like a fun team to root for, and a franchise that might have actually turned itself around a bit.

You could make a case that Marlins ownership is trying to turn the franchise around. With the Stanton mega contract and rumblings of them trying to lock up Yelich, Fernandez and a bunch of other young players, they might be changing their ways to keep a consistent winner in Miami.

I wouldn't believe it myself because Loria is a dick who has treated his franchises like pump and dump schemes but hey, maybe they are happy with their core right now and will try to retain it.

Parch

Pompey starting, with nothing in the way of a backup plan.
Yeah, it's risky. They gave up on Gose because they have faith in Pompey. I really think Gose got a raw deal in Toronto. Watch him turn into a productive regular with Detroit.

Depth is once again a Toronto concern. When Smoak is going to get significant AB's, and there's basically an offensive void at 2B, and Pillar and Valencia are the primary backups, the Jays are screwed when injuries start happening. Meanwhile Boston has so much offense they don't know who to start.

My cautious optimism is based on a near perfect year of few injuries and youngsters performing up to expectations. Even with serious concerns, I do think they've got a shot at a playoff spot.

Doogdogg

Very unlikely the Red Sox signs him. They have never went to distant to even re-signs their own players (Lester, Ellsbury, Papelbon). I can't see them blowing 80M to sign a 19 year old.

i wish manfred would force the mets ownership to sell..

Selig wouldn't because he didn't want to mess with the fraternity and because the Wilpon's are his buddies. I doubt Manfried does much of anything different.

They're the owners until they absolutely NEED the money or die.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
yes they do. sure the owners have more money (a lot of owners have more than the steinbrenners). but in terms of baseball revenue and what not. yankees lead by quite a bit.

You're talking about something irrelevant. From a payroll standpoint the Dodgers and Yankees have the same virtually unlimited budget.

Enron

Banned
Can we do an auction draft this year, Enron? And add a 4th OF.

It's hard enough to get everyone together for a live draft - auctions drafts only work if you can get 100% attendance. Also auction drafts take f o r e v e r. And for a new owner that can be daunting. That's why I avoid them unless doing one in person.

Don't really see the need for a 4th OF position when we have a UTIL position in which you can simply use a 4th OF if you choose. I prefer the UTIL over another OF - it's easier for owners who need more of a particular stat to just plug whoever in there instead of being limited to another OF, of which they are already starting 3.

Yoan Moncada can start right away Boston.

Hahaha, no. That kid is gonna need a year or so in the minors first.

stn

Wow, pleasantly surprised at the Moncada signing! Really thought the Dodgers or Yankees would get him. I guess this means the team will be paying him $60M due to spending penalties? Time to stash him in the minors for at least a year.

It's hard enough to get everyone together for a live draft - auctions drafts only work if you can get 100% attendance. Also auction drafts take f o r e v e r. And for a new owner that can be daunting. That's why I avoid them unless doing one in person.

Don't really see the need for a 4th OF position when we have a UTIL position in which you can simply use a 4th OF if you choose. I prefer the UTIL over another OF - it's easier for owners who need more of a particular stat to just plug whoever in there instead of being limited to another OF, of which they are already starting 3.

Hahaha, no. That kid is gonna need a year or so in the minors first.
Lol I know just trying to get a SS man.

Can't understand why the Yankees wouldn't have gone for this kid.

Even if the kid is a bust, it was just cash. Not draft picks, not traded players, nothing but money. They're going to miss out on *every* Cuban player - Cespedes, Soler, Sano, Abreu, etc - for fear of money?

It just boggles the mind. The Yankees had a huge need for a potentially good to great, young and cost-controlled player at 2B - the kind of player that their middling record and big-ass payroll generally precluded them from getting either in FA (too much cash on the books still) and the draft (not high-enough of a pick, not enough picks, etc)...and they lost to the goddamn Red Sox for less than the crazy bonuses being talked about? I can't even front - I'm legit salty about this.

I expected to punt the next season (and maybe even the one after that)...but to just lay down and die altogether is just disheartening.

[EDIT: It looks like the Yankees missed out on this guy for $3m, roughly...man, if he becomes a good-to-great player, omfg]

ampere

The cash is just a signing bonus. They get him for 6 years of MLB service time, the same as if he was drafted.

Ah. Forgot how it works signing foreign prospects

Figured I'd look up what Bogaerts got, only $410,000, tiny by comparison. Guess he wasn't nearly as hot of a prospect

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I knew all the "experts" were wrong on Moncada and the supposed $100 million he'd command in bonuses + taxes.

I'm guessing the Dodgers were more keen on signing the other dude who was basically major league ready.

$30M expected, wonder how long it's for. Kid is getting paid, damn.

Isn't it actually $60M because of the CBA penalty?

s03e22_94.jpg

So the first meeting with Cherington will go like this:
Now, boy, we spent a lot of money, so you'd better get real good real fast, or POW!

Thanks to all the suggestions so far.

Marlins might be okay this year. Mets should be fun to watch at least, Yankees are down atm but could be okay depending on pitching.

What kind of baseball do you like watching?

What kind of Baseball is there? Just got into Baseball last year in August because I visited a Brewers game in Milwaukee, which was a lot of fun. After that i watched some games online and went to an European Chamionship game here in Germany.

At the moment I am reading a baseball book mentioned in this thread.

Top Bottom