• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Parch

No surprise that Navarro has now officially asked to be traded. I'm sure the Jays have been shopping him and hopefully they can flip him for some bullpen help.

Kinda sucks because they don't have a ton of hitting depth. He would have been good at DH or off the bench.

No surprise that Navarro has now officially asked to be traded. I'm sure the Jays have been shopping him and hopefully they can flip him for some bullpen help.

Kinda sucks because they don't have a ton of hitting depth. He would have been good at DH or off the bench.

He calls a pretty solid game too. I think Buehrle's resurgence last year had a lot to do with Navarro keeping hitters off balance. And although he doesn't have a very good arm, he's a solid defender and great pitch framer. He deserves to be playing everyday.

He calls a pretty solid game too. I think Buehrle's resurgence last year had a lot to do with Navarro keeping hitters off balance. And although he doesn't have a very good arm, he's a solid defender and great pitch framer. He deserves to be playing everyday.
MLBTR says Navarro ranked near the bottom of the league in pitch framing.

Parch

With Navarro gone the Jays have to put a lot of faith in Justin Smoak. How scary is that? I'm hoping Batista can teach him a few things and breakout some of that potential we keep hearing about.

MLBTR says Navarro ranked near the bottom of the league in pitch framing.

That sounds about right. The only reason people loved him in Toronto last year was because JP Arencibia was absolutely horrific two years ago. Going from one of the worst players in baseball history (seriously: if he hadn't been benched for the last few weeks in 2013, he'd have had one of the worst single-season OBPs ever, and on top of that he was basically an error-prone sieve behind the plate) to someone who can do a few things right is a massive upgrade.

aFIGurANT

When is Manfred going to force The NL to implement the DH?

alfred-nevah-1.gif

Within the next 5 years he needs to make a decision on whether to keep the DH and expand it or get rid of it. It's the weirdest thing in sports.
I wouldn't be opposed to either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Within the next 5 years he needs to make a decision on whether to keep the DH and expand it or get rid of it. It's the weirdest thing in sports.
I wouldn't be opposed to either.

Getting rid of it is the best option, but the MLBPA would never go for that.

Drek

Moancada for Hammels?

The Red Sox wouldn't consider Mookie Betts (top 40 prospect in all of baseball) or Blake Swihart (top 25 prospect in all of baseball) for Hamels, why would they trade Moncada (top 10 prospect in all of baseball)?

Hamels is being paid close to market rate and is already in his 30's. If he uses his no trade to force the trading team to turn his option year into a guaranteed or push for extra money he'll be basically at market rate. Then you have to ask why any team would trade for him versus having just signed James Shields instead.

BFIB

David Ortiz was on the Dominican hard core this off season. He looks like he could be a linebacker for the Patriots.

Can't wait to hear him praise Manfred for attemtping to remove defensive shifts.

I can't wait until this dude is done.

eznark

Banned
Can't wait to hear him praise Manfred for attemtping to remove defensive shifts.

I can't wait until this dude is done.

I will enjoy baseball writers falling over themselves to vote him into the hall despite actually failing a juice test.

bigkrev

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone have recommendations for a nice Baseball Podcast? I loved Baseball Today before ESPN killed it, and can't stand the Buster Onley show they replaced it with. It doesn't have to be daily or have a heavy sabermetric focus, but should be smarter than the dribble the average talking head spews out.

ParityBit

I don't know. I treat every player in every sport as a juicer in some fashion. Some more than others though.

I am a Sox fan (from the Boston area) but man, in a video I saw he was walking into the building away from the camera and I would have thought it was Jerrod Mayo or Hightower.

eznark

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone have recommendations for a nice Baseball Podcast? I loved Baseball Today before ESPN killed it, and can't stand the Buster Onley show they replaced it with. It doesn't have to be daily or have a heavy sabermetric focus, but should be smarter than the dribble the average talking head spews out.

Effectively Wild is the only answer

Like Ez said Effectively Wild. Or Just a Bit Outisde just started a new podcast also. Rob Never and CJ Nitowski.

That sounds about right. The only reason people loved him in Toronto last year was because JP Arencibia was absolutely horrific two years ago. Going from one of the worst players in baseball history (seriously: if he hadn't been benched for the last few weeks in 2013, he'd have had one of the worst single-season OBPs ever, and on top of that he was basically an error-prone sieve behind the plate) to someone who can do a few things right is a massive upgrade.

They've been mentioning that on Toronto radio

Navarro didn't call off-speed pitches in full counts or 2 strike counts because he wasn't confident he could block them

Martin should upgrade that exponentially

Top Bottom