• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Just like the other fantasy league, we need to get the NEOGAF BASEBALL LEAGUE finalized. There are 3 teams who still have not rejoined...

The Anti-PED Bombers
Enigma's Enigmaniacs
yu can't handle it

Where are you? I'll give them until the end of the month to rejoin before inviting new players.

If you are interesting in trying Yahoo Fantasy Baseball I can add you to the waiting list and send you an invite if these teams do not show up. PM me your email and I will send you an invite on March 1st. I need your email.

This league is a 14 team Head-to-Head league. Live draft on Thurs Apr 2nd, 8 PM ET.

I rejoined.

Parch

So who is one player that you think will surprise and disappoint for your team?
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Blue Jays this year. A lot will depend on the performances of their young guns. Aaron Sanchez could be great and I can't believe they're thinking about putting him in the bullpen. He needs to start, and the Jays still need to sign more bullpen help.
On the bad side and not that he's any good to start with, but Marco Estrada is going to get shelled in the AL East.

Friedman looks ready.

022015js217.jpg

Enron

Banned
I'm happy that Josh has managed to lift himself up from the depths of hell and secure a wonderful future him and his family but goddamn the writing was on the goddamn wall the 2nd half of his last year in Texas.

All that shit he talked on the way out the door about the city and the franchise, too.

JUSTICE

Choomp

Banned
We need to make space for Herrera somewhere, Wilmer is a 2B, he might be worth keeping as depth but we need to get rid of Murphy.

Is trading Murphy really necessary though? If they want to be a playoff team(which apparently they are?) they need more hitting. I'm pretty much sold on the pitching at this point. Murphy was one of the best sticks last year, maybe Herrera's a better option this year, idk. My issue is why have the Mets been acting so confident with the media? I think going out there saying you're a playoff team is one thing, but you kinda need to improve on what you got in the lineup, more than just Cuddyer if they really think that.

Is trading Murphy really necessary though? If they want to be a playoff team(which apparently they are?) they need more hitting. I'm pretty much sold on the pitching at this point. Murphy was one of the best sticks last year, maybe Herrera's a better option this year, idk. My issue is why have the Mets been acting so confident with the media? I think going out there saying you're a playoff team is one thing, but you kinda need to improve on what you got in the lineup, more than just Cuddyer if they really think that.

There's a lot of youth coming into the team this year. Nimmo is going to be a super 2 call-up, Herrera offers more pop and team control (Murphy isn't coming back next year) and has a huge upside, and the team is banking on the young guys developing as hitters this year. TD'A did it, Legares did it, Captain Kirk improved. If Duda can learn to hit lefties he'll be a legitimate MVP candidate and I honestly believe that. The pieces are there to make a run, trading Murphy is a necessity for the future of the team, he's got a good bat but the return for him is more valuable.

We just need the bats to be improved, RISP numbers need to get higher and we need more power in the line-up. The pitching is in place (in theory) we just need to use this youth we've been stockpiling.

zulux21

So who is one player that you think will surprise and disappoint for your team? I think that Fowler will be an allstar and that Montero will either be injured or ineffective.

Surprise: Gordon Beckham. While signed as back up depth in case Carlos Sanchez or Micah Johnson can't perform well he will actually do well in the back up role and eventually reclaim second base when the young players struggle resulting in a good but not great year at second base. Something more akin to his rookie year posting a 1.5-2 WAR for the season despite being a back up for a few months.

disappoint: David Robertson. After getting paid he loses his edge and is at best a mediocre closer, losing the job by mid season to Jake Petricka.

Jon Heyman says Yoan Moncada is fielding final offers now. Says the Yankees, Red Sox, and Padres are the front-runners, with the Dodgers "lurking".

I am thinking of getting MLB.TV. I like the Brewers but because I am from Germany I will only be able to watch around 40 of their games live. 40 live games for 100$ does not sound too good.
That is why I am looking into supporting/following an additionnal team. Best would be a team in the East because I like watching live games.

So Baseball GAF please recommend me a fun team to follow!! Thanks!

I am thinking of getting MLB.TV. I like the Brewers but because I am from Germany I will only be able to watch around 40 of their games live. 40 live games for 100$ does not sound too good.
That is why I am looking into supporting/following an additionnal team. Best would be a team in the East because I like watching live games.

You should be a Cubs fan. We have an upcoming and exciting team and we should play the most day games in the league which will probably work with your schedule better.

Sanjuro

Yankees, Red Sox...Mets.

rando14

Choose your difficulty:

Easy: Giants, Yankees, Cardinals
Medium: Braves, Doyers, Reds
Hard: Mets, Mariners, Rockies

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Blue Jays this year. A lot will depend on the performances of their young guns. Aaron Sanchez could be great and I can't believe they're thinking about putting him in the bullpen. He needs to start, and the Jays still need to sign more bullpen help.
On the bad side and not that he's any good to start with, but Marco Estrada is going to get shelled in the AL East.

The outfield doesn't look to hot either. Pompey and Pillar are going to really have to rise to the occasion.

I think it's tragic that the Jays don't have the East locked down. For the past 2 decades the excuse was "the Yankees/Red Sox/Rays are too good". All those teams are rebuilding now and the division goes to the cellar dwelling Oriole's? Embarrassing for the city of Toronto.

I wish I could share your optimism. I feel like everything is just going to go wrong again this year. All the rookies will underperform, EE, Donaldson and Bautista will get hurt, the bullpen won't come together, and Kawasaki ends up getting the most time at 2B. They have such a thin margin for error, it won't take much for everything to go off the rails.

aFIGurANT

So who is one player that you think will surprise and disappoint for your team? I think that Fowler will be an allstar and that Montero will either be injured or ineffective.

Jhonny Peralta is going to see his BA tank, but will hit for some decent power still. I'd say 16 HRs or fewer with a .265 or worse. Carlos Martinez will be kept stretched out and will be at least as good as Joe Kelly was the past couple years, providing 5-6 innings reliably.

Imma just ignore that Holliday is getting up there and barely managed to put a good effort in in 2014.

Sanchez is being moved to the BP because he has no control.

The outfield doesn't look to hot either. Pompey and Pillar are going to really have to rise to the occasion.

I think it's tragic that the Jays don't have the East locked down. For the past 2 decades the excuse was "the Yankees/Red Sox/Rays are too good". All those teams are rebuilding now and the division goes to the cellar dwelling Oriole's? Embarrassing for the city of Toronto.
So Pompey starting?

BFIB

Cleveland Indians. Dark horse team, east coast time zone.

Marlins might be okay this year. Mets should be fun to watch at least, Yankees are down atm but could be okay depending on pitching.

What kind of baseball do you like watching?

Beckx

What do y'all think about the pace of game rule changes? I mean stepping away from the plate over and over adds time, but baseball has always been a slower game. Looks like the penalties are only monetary and not game related

I am a bit odd though, I'd like them to cap extra innings in regular season and allow ties. People never seem to like that when I mention it

Been reading a few reactions, this one from Adam Ottavino on the Player's Tribune was pretty interesting. All in all just small incremental stuff that should trim the fat from games. It's funny after all the crazier stuff that was getting floated around.

So in like 2 weeks?

We've almost made it. Fuck yeah March.

Anyone had any experience dealing with MLBTV on VPN/IP issues? I like having the games on at work but my IP there shows up without a location, so Pirates games end up blacked out even though I'm not in their blackout zone.

Pirates! East team, decent shot at the wild card, maybe the division if things break right. McCutcheon is a blast to watch, and interesting storylines with Alvarez trying to bounce back and seeing what happens with Kang in the infield this year.

If you want a team in the East, I would recommend either the Washington Nationals or the up and coming Miami Marlins. Both teams have a lot of young talent and I fully expect the Marlins to be competitive this year, especially if Jose Fernandez comes back from injury looking sharp.

The Mets would be a good choice. Can be a hell of starting rotation. Nice bullpen. Young position players mixed with veterans trying to get the team back above .500. Juan Lagares catching all balls in CF.and the majestic return of Harvey Day.

3N16MA

Banned

Astros.

zulux21

If you want a team in the East, I would recommend either the Washington Nationals or the up and coming Miami Marlins. Both teams have a lot of young talent and I fully expect the Marlins to be competitive this year, especially if Jose Fernandez comes back from injury looking sharp.

I'd never recommend the Marlins if you want a long term fandom. they are up and coming now, and might be good for the next 2-3 years, but after that c4 will be strategically placed all over the club house and anyone of value will be taken out and the shambles of the team will dominate last place for a few more years unlit they abuse the draft to get enough good players to make another small run in 6-8 years.

personally I would go with the pirates as they seem like a fun team to root for, and a franchise that might have actually turned itself around a bit.

B.J. Upton has announced that he will no longer be going by the name "B.J." anymore.

He will go by his birthname, Melvin Upton Jr., from now on.

He will explain his reasoning for the name change when he reports to camp.

Top Bottom