• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

I love this picture of Kemp.

mr5qlGy.jpg

Does this mean the Dodgers are gonna sign that other Cuban?

There are two pitchers, both due to the timing of their defection are not eligible until June 2nd. The Cubs can make offers to them by then which basically makes this a nil point because Theo loves Cuban players.

Surprised by the deal, GREAT value for the Sox, easily the #2-3 farm system in baseball now with this addition. Hell of a get, good for them.

Kid is going to be fun to watch. Hell he's already fun to watch if you can find a stream.

I'v watched Maeken for years, Otani at 19 is better and I think Maeken can be an Ace level MLB pitcher.

That Fastball is just disgustingly good. Combine that with his money sinker and you've got a hell of a prospect. If anybody wants NPB streams lemme know, I'v got a bunch.

Thanks to all the suggestions so far.

What kind of Baseball is there? Just got into Baseball last year in August because I visited a Brewers game in Milwaukee, which was a lot of fun. After that i watched some games online and went to an European Chamionship game here in Germany.

At the moment I am reading a baseball book mentioned in this thread.

Well for instance there are the Royals who under Ned Yoast are a primary bunting team that steals a lot of bases, don't hit a lot of HR's but bunt constantly. There are teams like the Tigers who are just bombs away, the Angels are an excellent well rounded team, the Mets are a bad hitting team but have the best young pitching next to the Nats in baseball (imo).

What about baseball appeals most to you I guess is what I am asking? If you like dominant Pitching I suggest following on of the NY teams (both have outstanding pitching) or the Nationals if it has to be an EC team. The Marlins are also a good choice because of the power they've got in the batting order and the Cuban phenom they have in Fernandez. All are very good options.

Just never, ever, ever pick the Cardinals. Those are satans team.

MLB Trade Rumors has some interesting insights on what the Dodgers did during their run for Moncada.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/details-on-the-runners-up-for-yoan-moncada.html

The Yankees, Red Sox and Brewers were the three finalists for Moncada, tweets Sherman. However, the Dodgers may have offered the most money, but it came with a price; L.A. was willing to go to $35MM on the condition that Moncada wait until July 2 in order to sign. Doing so would have given the Dodgers unrestricted spending next period, giving them a shot at all the top prospects on the market without the Yankees and Red Sox to compete against. It’s also been reported that Yadier Alvares can’t sign before July 2, so the Dodgers likely could have made a run at both.

Indeed, Sherman tweets that the Dodgers are waiting until the new signing period begins on July 2 to spend significantly, and they plan to be very aggressive when that time comes.

Friedman is a smart man.

There are two pitchers, both due to the timing of their defection are not eligible until June 2nd. The Cubs can make offers to them by then which basically makes this a nil point because Theo loves Cuban players.

Surprised by the deal, GREAT value for the Sox, easily the #2-3 farm system in baseball now with this addition. Hell of a get, good for them.

I'v watched Maeken for years, Otani at 19 is better and I think Maeken can be an Ace level MLB pitcher.

That Fastball is just disgustingly good. Combine that with his money sinker and you've got a hell of a prospect. If anybody wants NPB streams lemme know, I'v got a bunch.

There's another. I can't remember his name but he's like 29 years old so he's a straight free agent. Plays 2b/3b and has been linked to them.

There's another. I can't remember his name but he's like 29 years old so he's a straight free agent. Plays 2b/3b and has been linked to them.

Olivera is a meh prospect, I think you'd be okay to nab him but he's a 1.5/2 WAR guy. Which is fine if you have a need at 2B. Yankees have Headley at third though and that's his optimal position IMO. Be interesting to watch.

I think Alvarez gets the BIIIIIIIG money deal people thought Yoan would get. Kid is a freak, slightly older Urias.

MLB Trade Rumors has some interesting insights on what the Dodgers did during their run for Moncada.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/details-on-the-runners-up-for-yoan-moncada.html

Friedman is a smart man.

It is absolutely worth missing on a couple of those guys if you get one to bite on that offer. Great idea.

@ESPNNYYankees To be clear, it's obvious Cashman wanted Moncada but it seems like he couldn't get Hal to go any higher

Oh. Oh my.

The Yankees might be in for a BIG, cultural shift if this is true.

Syrinx

Olivera is a meh prospect, I think you'd be okay to nab him but he's a 1.5/2 WAR guy. Which is fine if you have a need at 2B. Yankees have Headley at third though and that's his optimal position IMO. Be interesting to watch.

I think Alvarez gets the BIIIIIIIG money deal people thought Yoan would get. Kid is a freak, slightly older Urias.

I know one team that WON'T give it to him.

The rumor has been that the Dodgers would nab Olivera as insurance for Uribe at third. The issue I think is that Olivera thinks he's worth Castillo/Puig money but like you said no one else sees him as being worth that.

Parch

Aww, poor Yankees. They couldn't outbid somebody for a change. Breaks my heart. /s

So now it's the Red Sox who are now the new-Yankees as the rich team that keeps getting richer.

aFIGurANT

Today is a good day lol. Seeing them Yanks scared of investing is great when it's their chief rival outspending them.

Btw, does the 6 year contract Moncada got start this season in the minors? I should know but I don't.

Yes, think of it as a MLB player being recalled to AAA, his contract isn't void and he isn't forced to sign a AAA deal. the money he's getting in AAA will be the mega bucks.

I live close enough to Pawtucket to warrant driving to see him.

Friggz

Aww, poor Yankees. They couldn't outbid somebody for a change. Breaks my heart. /s

So now it's the Red Sox who are now the new-Yankees as the rich team that keeps getting richer.

i think it was a matter of not wanting to spend more. rather than not having the resources too.

By all accounrts, moncada wanted to be a yankee and all they had to do was match the highest offer.

Ill be happy when the steinbrenners sell the team.

eznark

Banned
Yes, think of it as a MLB player being recalled to AAA, his contract isn't void and he isn't forced to sign a AAA deal. the money he's getting in AAA will be the mega bucks.

Moncada doesn't have roster protection yet. If a minor leaguer fluctuates between AAA and MLB and doesn't have enough service time, his salary fluctuates as well. Of course. I assume he negotiated a major league deal.

That said I doubt it matter much, isn't the bulk of the money he received a signing bonus? Plus minor leagues play under major league deals all the time.

aFIGurANT

Yeah but if plays a year in AAA, will he then have only 5 years remaining on his contact? Or is it six major league years that matter?

thefro

Cubs/Dodgers/Rangers will probably all go over their IFA pool alongside some others.

Red Sox, Yankees, Rays, Angels, Diamondbacks are all out due to spending over the limit in 2014-2015.

Meier

AF has been making very savvy moves -- I trust him implicitly. Hopefully Alex Guerrero can amount to something this season... whether it be at 2B or 3B or wherever he ends up. You'd think he could platoon with Uribe.

Drek

Moncada doesn't have roster protection yet. If a minor leaguer fluctuates between AAA and MLB and doesn't have enough service time, his salary fluctuates as well. Of course. I assume he negotiated a major league deal.

That said I doubt it matter much, isn't the bulk of the money he received a signing bonus? Plus minor leagues play under major league deals all the time.

The new CBA from a few years ago specifically prohibits ML deals for international signings under 23 or with less than 5 years of professional play. Moncada is on a standard mL contract where he has several years (I believe 3 given his age?) of unrestricted control, then he needs to be on the 40 man roster or is rule 5 eligible, plus costs an option to send to the minors. When he finally makes it to the majors he will need to accrue your standard 6 years of service time to reach free agency.

His luxury tax number will also be set by that. His signing bonus is a one time thing that is not factored in to luxury tax calculations, it instead is part of the Red Sox international signing budget. All clubs have an IFA budget and going over it has two penalty tiers, the first (I believe at around 50% over) results in a modest financial penalty and a restriction on signing IFAs for more than $300,000 in the following season. If instead they hit the next penalty tier (I believe around 100% over they pay a 1:1 penalty for every dollar over and can't sign >$300,000 IFAs for the next two years.

Both the Red Sox and Yankees went well over the second tier in IFA contracts even prior to Moncada being available. It is largely believed that an international draft is going to come soon and that Moncada hitting the market is actually only going to accelerate the push for one, so many teams have spent crazy money in the last few years (Cubs, Dodgers, and Rangers went over last year and were under penalty this year if I recall) because they want to leverage their financial advantages prior to a draft being instituted.

Also, the overage money the Sox will pay in is supposed to go to a special fund to spend on international marketing and development, so should be interesting to see how MLB spends a big $30M lump sum in the pursuit of international fans.

eznark

Banned
nick johnson despite getting hurt quite a bit in his career. played 10 years in the majors and was a good player. Profar hasnt really done anything yet.

fun fact, johnsons AA slash line in 1999 was 345/525/548. Dude was a beast.

That is really overstating his contributions. 65% of his WAR he accumulated in 05 and 06. Every other year he was at best replacement level, often significantly worse.

Friggz

That is really overstating his contributions. 65% of his WAR he accumulated in 05 and 06. Every other year he was at best replacement level, often significantly worse.

you might as well use wins in judging a pitcher also. war is too flawed. He had a career 123ops+, 370 woba. He was a pretty good offensive force when he played and didnt help himself out in the field or running the bases.

Friggz

Johnson's wRC+ was never great, other than 05 though his fielding metrics were pretty damn bad. Career UZR/150 of 1.8.

he had a career 126 wrc+ (which includes his rookie year and final seaon when he was all but a walking corpse) . 26% better than a league average player is pretty good.

eznark

Banned
^ Yeah but he was a butcher. Good hitter I'd accept. Not good player.

you might as well use wins in judging a pitcher also. war is too flawed. He had a career 123ops+, 370 woba. He was a pretty good offensive force when he played and didnt help himself out in the field or running the bases.

Sadly for him 2/3 of his at bats came in the NL so he had to play defense.

3 seasons over .425 slugging.

Powerhouse.

What a weird guy to argue over.

Top Bottom