• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Lol.
wxbocx8bvs8xx1weuvhi.jpg

Enron

Banned
holy fucking shit, are you fucking kidding me? Has any franchise ever had worse luck with injuries? Jesus fuck. its not even 1 week into goddamned spring training and my baseball season is already wrecked.

Hopefully he's able to avoid TJ like Tanaka*.

* = for now

Honestly if he gets TJS it might be good for him. Might end all these nagging injuries he's been fighting.

Though if he goes Ervin Santana route he won't take as long to rebound because his control and secondary stuff is already top notch.

Darvish undergoing MRI? Looks like it's just precautionary though.

Meanwhile, 3rd day in a row with no Bucs on mlb.tv. Regular season please.

Great profile on him today in the Japan Times. Tigers are sitting pretty at SP. Iwazaki is having a nice spring so far.

I want to try to watch Spring and Summer Koshien this year. Never done that before.

I got dem links for those too breh :D Just hit me up when they start the prelims for the Tokyo tournament.

Oops accidental double post, someone merge plz k thx.

Baseball is dead.

He'll be fine. Tanaka pitched with it (and is still pitching with it) Ervin Santana pitches with it and it's been almost 6 years since he damaged his.

It's not a 100% he needs TJS thing. It's safer to bet on it but it's not a guarantee. And besides if he gets it now, when he comes back next year you guys might have a team comprised of enough talent to actually win something.

zulux21

It's the same reason the Tigers are giving out insane contracts left and right. Owner is old and about to die and wants to win one before then. He wont be around to deal with the consequences so what does it matter to him?

yup, luckily my owner while feeling the urge to win another WS got one 10 years ago so he isn't being stupid with his money, just spending a bit more these years.

Chris Young going to the Royals. big park with great defense. Young knows how to pitch

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughStar 1h1 hour ago
Chris Young will earn a $675,000 base salary, with $5.325 million in available bonuses.

jbug617

Banned
Good day for Red Sox prospects so far. Swihart with 3 run hr and Eduardo Rodriguez pitching great against Orioles A-team. He is hitting 95-96mph

Chris Young going to the Royals. big park with great defense. Young knows how to pitch

Chris Young will earn a $675,000 base salary, with $5.325 million in available bonuses.

Guy can still heave it. Velo isn't there anymore but his control is tight, excellent innings eater for them.

Enron

Banned
He'll be fine. Tanaka pitched with it (and is still pitching with it) Ervin Santana pitches with it and it's been almost 6 years since he damaged his.

It's not a 100% he needs TJS thing. It's safer to bet on it but it's not a guarantee. And besides if he gets it now, when he comes back next year you guys might have a team comprised of enough talent to actually win something.

No, he 100% needs Tommy John. And no, it won't be fine. He'll be gone all this year, then half of next year likely and for the rest of 2016 won't be quite himself. We wont see actual Yu Darvish again until the 2017 season, and that's the last year of his deal before he goes off and becomes a Yankee or Dodger or Red Sox. Rangers bet on those big contracts to contend and now the most important piece is gone.

Rangers should probably just blow this shit up as much as they can (deal Beltre and anyone else that has any value) and just pray that in 2 seasons they can field a team with a winning record.

Deep down though, I would like to see them at least make an offer for Hamels and try and compete - the farm is more than deep enough to allow for this although it might not be the smartest thing to do for the future.

RBH

Jim Harbaugh is in camp and in uniform with the Oakland Athletics on Saturday at the invitation of A's manager Bob Melvin.

"It's a great day for baseball, let's play two! As Ernie Banks would say," said a grinning Harbaugh. "How does it get any better than that? It's a beautiful day for baseball, and just have a chance to put on the uniform. I haven't had a baseball uniform on since American Legion ball."

Harbaugh is in full uniform instead of his trademark sideline khaki pants. He's wearing no. 4, his old number as a quarterback, while sporting a high-socks look.

"He requested those," Melvin said with a smile.

Melvin intends to give Harbaugh the chance to coach first base against the Los Angeles Angels at HoHoKam Stadium. "Not the whole game, but maybe a couple innings. ... We'll let him feel it out and watch from the dugout, and then go out there when he's ready."

Asked if he was going to be sending baserunners, Harbaugh cracked, "I'm going to be very aggressive today. Hungry dogs hunt best! Let's go for two!"

Harbaugh and Melvin have a friendship going back to their teenage years and played on the same American Legion baseball team in Palo Alto.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12438584/jim-harbaugh-becomes-oakland-coach-day-arizona

B_g9E2zUsAA9X44.jpg:large

B_gvaO8UgAENAhr.jpg:large

JDHarbs

Medlen going on the 60-day DL too

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
No, he 100% needs Tommy John. And no, it won't be fine. He'll be gone all this year, then half of next year likely and for the rest of 2016 won't be quite himself. We wont see actual Yu Darvish again until the 2017 season, and that's the last year of his deal before he goes off and becomes a Yankee or Dodger or Red Sox. Rangers bet on those big contracts to contend and now the most important piece is gone.

Rangers should probably just blow this shit up as much as they can (deal Beltre and anyone else that has any value) and just pray that in 2 seasons they can field a team with a winning record.

Deep down though, I would like to see them at least make an offer for Hamels and try and compete - the farm is more than deep enough to allow for this although it might not be the smartest thing to do for the future.

At least you can still root for the Braves.

aFIGurANT

na I love him doing color, play by play not so much.

Ah yeah I feel you. The teams with shitty booths are so hard to watch. Like I sort of ranted about a couple pages ago, the Reds booth is just a dumpster fire of bitter octogenerian-type baseball talk. Pretty far behind the times and very much homers in a bad way.

I know there's websites that make lists but for me I like 1) MASN for the Nats 2) Root for Pirates and Rockies and above all the Vin Scully Dodger games, which for some reason were sporadic last year. Maybe he was on vacation?

Buck and McCarver = the GOATS though obviously.

Vin Scully is the best play by play guy in any sport. Period.

Mets radio guys are mediocre, but they've never really been bad, just hasn't been the same since Kiner retired (RIP). John Sterling has never really clicked with me even though I know a lot of people like him.

TV I'm biased but SNY does a great job IMO, however I really like the Cubs broadcasters.

+1 for the Cubbies broadcast team. They made a Spinal Tap reference during a Jays game last year that was amazing. Also a big fan of Krukow and Kuiper as they are consistently hilarious.

Ken Harrelson needs to go away forever.

aFIGurANT

Cubs guys are big Sabermetrics guys for the most part. Thom Brennaman and Joe Buck are amongst my hated broadcasters.

Just because you like Chicago baseball doesn't mean you have to disrespect this nation's greatest sporting treasure. The fact that you like those saber guys only heightens my urge to see the Cubs eliminated in August.

Overlee

Article from Jon Heyman and CBSsports published yesterday. Mostly a fluff piece about the new Doyer front office with some added Hollywood drama about locker room "chemistry".

TLDR: Aging Hollywood star jelly of new hotness

While some of the folks around Dodgers suggest that they probably could have made it work again, suffice it to say, they seem relieved they don't have to try. Kemp, when asked about it, didn't sound like he would have accepted left field, so it's surely for the best that he is in Padres camp, where he is beloved so far. “I wasn't going to play left field,” Kemp said in Padres camp. “I'm a center fielder or a right fielder. Here I'm a rightfielder.”......

Kemp was seen as someone who wanted to be “the man,” and folks on Puig's side suggest maybe Kemp especially didn't like sharing the spotlight with the wunderkind Puig. And Kemp's leadership attempts were cited as “superficial” by folks connected to the Dodgers.

Have fun being the RF for an organization that puts winning above all else!
giphy.gif

Article from Jon Heyman and CBSsports published yesterday. Mostly a fluff piece about the new Doyer front office with some added Hollywood drama about locker room "chemistry".

TLDR: Aging Hollywood star jelly of new hotness

Have fun being the RF for an organization that puts winning above all else!
giphy.gif

Kemp is gonna stuff his face with burritos. He's practically in Mexico now.

Just because you like Chicago baseball doesn't mean you have to disrespect this nation's greatest sporting treasure. The fact that you like those saber guys only heightens my urge to see the Cubs eliminated in August.

Joe Buck is an abomination of a sportscaster. He's terrible, he ruins Sundays and he ruins baseball.

So salty right now. Had to go with Nola. Another manager before me picked Kyle. The draft went
Rondon
Yoes SS from Boston
Kyle
Then my pick

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still can't figure out why teams are getting these Cable TV megadeals. Meaning, I can't figure out why cable companies would agree to pay the team that much in 2015 when cable television is practically an anachronism.

I still can't figure out why teams are getting these Cable TV megadeals. Meaning, I can't figure out why cable companies would agree to pay the team that much in 2015 when cable television is practically an anachronism.

Baseball is the ONLY thing that keeps my cable TV subscription active. As soon as MLB.TV eliminates local blackouts, my cable is gone.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Sporting events are one of the few things that are DVR proof with steady proven ratings that attract big advertisers. Sure, some people don't mind watching a game on tape delay, but most sports fans won't. ESPN alone constitutes the biggest fee your average cable provider is charge for a group of channels because it has NFL/NBA/MLB games.

Baseball has the most games to give out and with the success of YES and NESN local companies saw that they needed to make sure more teams didn't just make their own networks and figured there was money to be made all around by securing the rights for themselves with long term mega deals.

ampere

A ton of people still have cable even though it's generally a bad deal for what you get.

Top Bottom