• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

It's been a while since this thread was graced with any Dodgers news or photos.

Dv3MK10.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Really he's the only one being a dumbass about Bryant. I fail to see how any fan can fault Theo or anyone else in the org for trading 12 games for ~162. Really?

Ken Rosenthal wrote a full-on article about how it sucks that Bryant can't be in the starting lineup on Opening Day.

BFIB

Ken Rosenthal wrote a full-on article about how it sucks that Bryant can't be in the starting lineup on Opening Day.

I agree here. Bryant has shown that he's ready for the bigs. Your sending mixed messages by not having the best 9 starters on the field Opening Day. Especially after signing Lester to his big contract.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I agree here. Bryant has shown that he's ready for the bigs. Your sending mixed messages by not having the best 9 starters on the field Opening Day. Especially after signing Lester to his big contract.

It doesn't send mixed anything, in fact that message is quite clear. Why would they play Bryant for 12 days and lose an entire year of team control?

Who cares if he's there on some specific day or not?

BFIB

It doesn't send mixed anything, in fact that message is quite clear. Why would they play Bryant for 12 days and lose an entire year of team control?

Who cares if he's there on some specific day or not?

What if the Cubs miss a WC spot by a few games? While Bryant was sitting down in AAA soaking up the clock until the Cubs bring him up after 12 days.

Actually, that sounds exactly like something that would happen to the Cubs.

zychi

Banned
What if the Cubs miss a WC spot by a few games? While Bryant was sitting down in AAA soaking up the clock until the Cubs bring him up after 12 days.

This isn't Jason Heyward and that's a dumb thing to say about them missing a WC, Bryant is not going to determine whether the Cubs make the playoffs or not. It's 100 years of waiting. Why push it forward? Older Cub fans (this excludes ChicagoCubsFan who thinks the franchise started in 2003) know this is nothing.

If Bryant can't wait 9 games to play in the pros, then maybe he's not mature enough to be in the pros yet. What happens if they pull him up for opening day, and he pulls a Fukudome and just sucks for a month? The kid still has to make the adjustment like Bryce Harper did.

The local radio guys here said the best thing, "don't cut your hair or shave until Bryant comes up. You will not be changing much of your schedule for that."

If the players union want to implement a new policy, deal with in in the CBA negotiations. This was all agreed upon by 32 teams and the player's union. Quit bitching, sit out 3 weeks, and come up May 1st. Boras does not determine how this plays out.

I'm so sick of hearing about this around here.

e: also, Bryant has sat out games in ST for "shoulder soreness" already. Get in better shape while you're in AAA.

Angry Grimace

What if the Cubs miss a WC spot because an unpredicted solar eclipse occurs right at the moment a fly ball is struck, which if caught would have clinched that playoff spot, but instead the Cubs outfielder loses the ball while distracted and then they miss the playoffs?

Does this have anything to do with what you just said? No, its crazy talk, you know, like suggesting the Cubs are making the playoffs.

This isn't Jason Heyward and that's a dumb thing to say about them missing a WC, Bryant is not going to determine whether the Cubs make the playoffs or not. It's 100 years of waiting. Why push it forward? Older Cub fans (this excludes ChicagoCubsFan who thinks the franchise started in 2003) know this is nothing.

If Bryant can't wait 9 games to play in the pros, then maybe he's not mature enough to be in the pros yet. What happens if they pull him up for opening day, and he pulls a Fukudome and just sucks for a month? The kid still has to make the adjustment like Bryce Harper did.

The local radio guys here said the best thing, "don't cut your hair or shave until Bryant comes up. You will not be changing much of your schedule for that."

If the players union want to implement a new policy, deal with in in the CBA negotiations. This was all agreed upon by 32 teams and the player's union. Quit bitching, sit out 3 weeks, and come up May 1st. Boras does not determine how this plays out.

I'm so sick of hearing about this around here.

e: also, Bryant has sat out games in ST for "shoulder soreness" already. Get in better shape while you're in AAA.
The disrespect here. You think I don't know about Baseball's Sad Lexicon?

If 2 weeks of Bryant are worth an entire win or two of value he is the greatest player in the history of baseball.

Angry Grimace

Especially his FIRST two weeks. I mean, would it shock anyone if he got off slowly or struggled?

Its kind of an old adage pitchers sometimes light it up when they first come up since there's a lot less familiarity with their repetoire and style and young hitters struggle for the same reason.

A dude on Buster Olney's Podcast said that he would be less than half a win in those games missed based on projections. So yeah.

I think I heard he'd have to be like a 13 wins above replacement player for the whole season or something. I beleive those are like Babe Ruth stats.

I think I heard he'd have to be like a 13 wins above replacement player for the whole season or something. I beleive those are like Babe Ruth stats.

For him to be worth even half a win 9 games would mean he's like an 8 or 9 win player over the course of an entire season. So all he'd have to do is replicate Mike Trout's career. No biggie.

Enron

Banned
I can't believe people actually think its a good idea for the Cubs to trade AN ENTIRE YEAR OF TEAM CONTROL for the first 2 weeks of Kris Bryant's major league career. Maybe you guys are related to Boras or Bryant or something, I dunno. Everyone else thinks it's dumb.

zychi

Banned
The disrespect here. You think I don't know about Baseball's Sad Lexicon?

The way you talk so positively. You really haven't been a real Cubs fan that long. We are a miserable group of baseball fans. You are too upbeat and positive to actually know what it's like to be a Cubs fan for more than 10 years.

I'd bet you're under 23 years old.

The way you talk so positively. You really haven't been a real Cubs fan that long. We are a miserable group of baseball fans. You are too upbeat and positive to actually know what it's like to be a Cubs fan for more than 10 years.

I'd bet you're under 23 years old.

6 More months and you'll be wrong.

BFIB

In the end, this all seems like hefty praise for a dude with 0 ML AB's.

The Cards had the same discussions w/ Taveras going into last year too. When you reach the point that there is nothing else to do in the minors, the fanbase starts to question the "are we in this to win?" mentality that the team offers.

Opiate

How popular are the Dodgers in LA? I know the Lakers come first there. Are the Dodgers a distant second? Close? Are they less popular than the Kings? What about the Galaxy?

vwnut13

I'm really excited to see how the trio of Masahiro Tanaka, Michael Pineda, and Nate Eovaldi perform this year. I'm expecting big years from the three of them.

Meier

How popular are the Dodgers in LA? I know the Lakers come first there. Are the Dodgers a distant second? Close? Are they less popular than the Kings? What about the Galaxy?

I don't live in LA, but I think it's safe to say they are far more popular than the Kings or Galaxy just due to the disparity in the sports' popularity. The Dodgers are traditionally 1st in attendance in MLB.

Sanjuro

Dodgers are probably the most popular of their casual teams. I'd still imagine they are a distant second even with the Lakers being trash.

turnbuckle

Any fantasy gaf leagues going on? Commish of previous one I was in isn't doing it this year.

Last year was the first one I did and loved it. Looking to do it again.

Pm plz!

Malo

Banned
I'm really excited to see how the trio of Masahiro Tanaka, Michael Pineda, and Nate Eovaldi perform this year. I'm expecting big years from the three of them.
I'm just hoping they stay healthy this season.

Also, Yankees fan I presume? Welcome to the council, friend.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Zack Wheeler pitched last season with a torn tendon:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...-also-was-dealing-with-torn-tendon-1.10080216

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - Before a torn ulnar collateral ligament wiped out Zack Wheeler's season, the Mets worried about a different issue in his troublesome right elbow: a torn tendon.

The tendon tear, a source told Newsday, is what prompted Wheeler to undergo platelet-rich plasma therapy twice this offseason. Doctors hoped the treatment would speed up healing and allow Wheeler to keep pitching.

"They thought that the rest and the PRP would allow it to calm down," the source said. "And it didn't . . . For whatever reason, it didn't help, it didn't take."

Wheeler, 24, had been cleared to keep pitching last season despite chronic pain caused by what the team has been calling inflammation of the tendon, or tendinitis. According to a source, it turns out that the tendon was actually "a little bit torn."

Wheeler's elbow ligament, meanwhile, showed no signs of a tear until Saturday. That's when lingering pain prompted an MRI exam on Saturday.

On Wednesday, Wheeler was examined by team doctor David Altchek in New York. According to the source, Altchek confirmed a "pretty substantial" tear of Wheeler's UCL, which had been expected.

The examination also revealed more tearing in Wheeler’s tendon in addition to calcification in the elbow joint.

But the source said that neither issue fundamentally altered Wheeler's fate last season. Since doctors assured him that the injuries couldn't be made worse in any significant way, Wheeler was left to decide how much pain he could stand in order to keep pitching.

Still, the new revelations paint a clearer picture of the health woes that Wheeler endured to pitch a career-high 185 2/3 innings.

Seriously Mest?

Top Bottom