• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Enron

Banned
The number of players you set for the roster isn't even that much. You only get 3 OFs. Some leagues have 5. Auction draft is not that goddamn hard.

Look, i've already explained this. This league is simple on purpose, to increase owner engagement. I just want people to participate and have fun, without getting too fantasy hardcore.

I hate everything.

This is DIRECTLY correlated with Wheeler throwing more pitches than any other pitcher under 25 the past 2 years. Terry would let him get into the 120's before he was pulled. It was only a matter of time.

@AnthonyDiComo: Sandy Alderson said #Mets had been forewarned by doctors as early as last season that Wheeler's elbow was a concern.

@AnthonyDiComo: #Mets have been concerned about Wheeler for a while. They put him through an MRI tube last September, then again in January, then March.

@Mike_Vorkunov: Wheeler got a PRP injection in November and had recurring pain in January that called for an MRI

Terry is the devil

Fox318

I hate everything.

This is DIRECTLY correlated with Wheeler throwing more pitches than any other pitcher under 25 the past 2 years. Terry would let him get into the 120's before he was pulled. It was only a matter of time.

Terry is the devil

Terry is a bumbling idiot.

Only reason he doesn't get called out on it is because mets ownership is even worse.

Terry is a bumbling idiot.

Only reason he doesn't get called out on it is because mets ownership is even worse.

The ONLY reason that any of them are still there is because Selig got them Sandy Alderson to basically keep the franchise afloat. Because Bud wouldn't just let someone else into the fraternity because he liked/likes the Wilpon's. A DIRECT conflict of interests in the league, but Bud was a dictator so nobody cared.

The Mets will not be relevant, truly relevant, until the Wilpon's are gone, I fully believe that.

Fox318

The ONLY reason that any of them are still there is because Selig got them Sandy Alderson to basically keep the franchise afloat. Because Bud wouldn't just let someone else into the fraternity because he liked/likes the Wilpon's. A DIRECT conflict of interests in the league, but Bud was a dictator so nobody cared.

The Mets will not be relevant, truly relevant, until the Wilpon's are gone, I fully believe that.

its not just bud.

new comish has a thing for the wilpons.

Cystm

Do you duders have a fantasy league going? I would like to get back into the game and find that the fantasy league aspect has me stay interested.

The problem really is we got rid of the best GM we ever had in Omar. He brought in players that reflected the color of the city and he got us a Beltran strikeout away from the big dance and we end up replacing him with Sandy.

I'm sick of thugs like Wheeler who fold and need TJ at the first sign of pressure. Bring me fighters like Bonilla and Ollie who were the heart and soul of this team

Fox318

Its time to sign him Mets

39jguAI.png

4uipMpz.gif

The problem really is we got rid of the best GM we ever had in Omar. He brought in players that reflected the color of the city and he got us a Beltran strikeout away from the big dance and we end up replacing him with Sandy.

I'm sick of thugs like Wheeler who fold and need TJ at the first sign of pressure. Bring me fighters like Bonilla and Ollie who were the heart and soul of this team

a wild talisayNon has appeared!!

Enron

Banned

You still have Bonilla!

aFIGurANT

Kemp just schooled Lester hard. Like out of the park hard.

Also Greinke took my advice and got his locks in shape. Much less greasy and stringy today.

I am not a Mets fan at all but with this elbow problem phenomenon I think it's more on how the baseballs are made. There's been more tears to the elbows now in the past 15 years than ever. Yet in the 90s and well before that pitchers would throw a lot more pitches than they do in todays game.

I am not a Mets fan at all but with this elbow problem phenomenon I think it's more on how the baseballs are made. There's been more tears to the elbows now in the past 15 years than ever. Yet in the 90s and well before that pitchers would throw a lot more pitches than they do in todays game.

But not as fast, as hard, or with the motions todays pitchers are using from age 14 on to generate velocity.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The pitchers breaking in today have a lot more wear now than back then. Kids didn't used to focus on just baseball all year round. We're now seeing those pitchers come into the league who have pitched constantly in Little League, traveling teams, high school, etc. and often throwing a lot harder as well.

Syrinx

But not as fast, as hard, or with the motions todays pitchers are using from age 14 on to generate velocity.

I remember hearing (don't remember where or how reputable they were) that Justin Verlander, when he was in high school and this big prospect, was topping out at 94 mph. Now you have guys like Tyler Kolek throwing in the triple digits at 18. That dude's arm is gonna be fucked up.

The pitchers breaking in today have a lot more wear now than back then. Kids didn't used to focus on just baseball all year round. We're now seeing those pitchers come into the league who have pitched constantly in Little League, traveling teams, high school, etc. and often throwing a lot harder as well.

This too, and I don't know how MLB teams are going to address this. This is in all likeliness going to be the norm going forward.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2015/3/16/8226305/giants-world-series-videos/in/7990594

A bracket of happy Giants postseason moments

Is this the most obnoxious thing a Giants fan could do for March Madness? Yes. Yes, it is.

Hello, spoiled Giants fan. I am a spoiled Giants fan who would like to invite you to the Tournament of Happy Giants Postseason Moments, all of which occurred from 2010 through 2014. If Bobby Cox leaves Craig Kimbrel in to face Aubrey Huff, perhaps everything is different. Perhaps the offseason moves are different, there is never a championship, and this is a bracket of sad Giants postseason moments. That would be awful. That did not happen.

I was curious to see if there was a way to fill in a 64-moment bracket without that much filler. There was. We are spoiled.

hKxZNqZ.png

:D

Enron

Banned
I remember hearing (don't remember where or how reputable they were) that Justin Verlander, when he was in high school and this big prospect, was topping out at 94 mph. Now you have guys like Tyler Kolek throwing in the triple digits at 18. That dude's arm is gonna be fucked up.

there are loads of kids in HS that can throw in the mid 90s. Not too many of them know where the ball is going, however.

Just because you are a hard thrower doesn't necessarily mean its TJ time.

I think it's Keith Law who mentions that kids under a certain age (like 16 or 17) shouldn't even be throwing curves or sliders. He also rages at college coaches who destroy pitcher elbows. That's the real shame. These coaches out here Dusty Baker'ing guys who aren't even getting paid.

I think it's Keith Law who mentions that kids under a certain age (like 16 or 17) shouldn't even be throwing curves or sliders. He also rages at college coaches who destroy pitcher elbows. That's the real shame. These coaches out here Dusty Baker'ing guys who aren't even getting paid.

You should see what it's like in JP. You think throwing stuff with a slow break is bad? Kids there are throwing Forks and Shuuto (basically a screwball), along with splitters and sinkers. It kills their arms.

A 16 year old putting as much strain on his elbow as we demand most high end, future pro pitchers to do is not healthy. But with the game how it is now, there's no way to fix it.

It reminds me of Matt Harvey in college, he was routinely asked to pitch 130-140 balls a game. A lot of them were power curves too. It's a wonder his arm lasted as long in the pros as it did.

Sanjuro

What these teams need to do stop babying these pitchers and throw them out there. If they get hurt, they get hurt.

That is a bullshit response, no different from people that don't want to believe concussions exist at a developmental level.

Throwing a baseball at a competitive level is a highly unnatural and dangerous motion. The human body simply isn't meant to do that.

zulux21

To throw a ball 100 MPH your arm has to be moving that fast.

The human elbow isn't designed to take that much torque.

arguably your arm itself only needs to be going 90-95mph or so, you can get the last so many mph from your wrist :p

Variable 10: Use of available force from wrist during pitching motion

The wrist is a very important lever in the pitching motion. In fact, Norihisa Fujii from the University of Tsukuba concluded after a 2002 study that wrist flexion and strength are major contributors for increasing throwing velocity.

In addition, many pitching coaches have incorporated a “wrist flick” during their throwing warm up progression. The Lexington Clinic reported that the wrist accounted for 10% of the force applied to the baseball during the pitching delivery.

Force is not the only function the wrist may perform. Many pitching instructors agree that proper wrist movement can help a pitcher's control and command of pitches to their target.

The following exercises may promote strength and increase speed of wrist motion:

* Weighted balls (12 oz)

* Hand grip/tennis ball

* Shot put flips (4 lbs)

* Wrist rolls

info from

that being said your arm is still not designed to do that repeatedly.
I still find the way pitch counts are used dumb though. I don't mind pitch counts but 100 being some magical number is dumb as each person is different, especially when we are talking about athletes which in general are freaks compared to normal humans and even less likely to have the same wear and tear done to them over the same time frame.

I mean some pitchers are on a longer leash, but really if we are going to use something like a pitch count we should just be sending every pitcher straight to mris and what not after a game to gauge their arms and figure out where their personal limits are around. lets make it a real individual science :p

of course this is the modern baseball era where they still do lefty lefty/ righty righty match ups because lefty's in general have a harder time hitting lefties despite having easily accessible personal numbers for players showing when there is an anomaly and a lefty who hits lefties way better than righties comes to the plate. yet they still bring in a left handed pitcher... so I can't expect them to embrace more than a general rule.

ampere

That is a bullshit response, no different from people that don't want to believe concussions exist at a developmental level.

Throwing a baseball at a competitive level is a highly unnatural and dangerous motion. The human body simply isn't meant to do that.

Yea. Torques the shit out of your elbow. The underhand softball throw is actually a perfectly natural way to move the arm to throw a ball

Problem... nowhere near 90mph pitches.

Top Bottom