• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ace of the Diamond is solid. Character driven but all the drama is grounded in realistic baseball. I mean, Kuroko's Basketball is my favorite show right now but it's basketball with shonen magic powers, while this is just straight up real sports (you will see auras around players during key moments, like you see in Japanese baseball games, though). And no fan service crap, either.

It is similar to Kuroko's in that they will draw out games over 4-5 episodes and really play up the character drama. Just hit episode 48 and enjoying the hell out of it.

Sounds similar to Ookiku then (Big Windup was what they called the western release), I'll have to check it out.

Sounds similar to Ookiku then (Big Windup was what they called the western release), I'll have to check it out.

It's totally worth watching. It's got good characters with good pacing and fun action, really recommend it.

Also yeah there have been a grand total of one close game in Senbatsu so far but hooooo boy was it a fun game. Stayed up till 3AM watching, went to enchousen (extra's) two pitchers with pinpoint control dueling it out. The Urawa pitcher Egichi was a monster in the 9th/10th. Had 3 of his 5 K's in the last two frames. It was just fun to watch.

Ikuei doesn't know what the word "bunt" means. It's glorious, they're such a good batting team and their pitcher Sena has the best arm in the tourney so far. But his control is a mess (he can't throw his fork for strikes yet). Meanwhile Tsuruga Kehi has probably the best pitcher in this tournament, was injured during Meiji Jingu and was blown to pieces in the semi-final at Summer Koshien last year to Osaka Toin. So it's likely he's looking at this as his penultimate chance at revenge before making one last run at the summer. Heian, the oldest and most prestigious of the schools at this years Senbatsu, was knocked out.

It's a good thing to do a project on, especially if you focus on the prestige of it.

damn, seems like Kevin Long has fixed Granderson. dude looks way more comfortable at the plate. hopefully it translate to the regular season

Malo

Banned
damn, seems like Kevin Long has fixed Granderson. dude looks way more comfortable at the plate. hopefully it translate to the regular season
He fixed him after the Yankees acquired him from tigers. Another 40 plus homer season incoming for the grandyman.

Beckx

I think the broadcast team for the Pirates is broadcasting from inside of a cave.

And the mics are on the outside.

And the entire cave system is underwater.

On Mars.

JoseDFrog

Banned
I think the broadcast team for the Pirates is broadcasting from inside of a cave.

And the mics are on the outside.

And the entire cave system is underwater.

On Mars.
Oh god I wish that would happen to the YES network crew. If I'm interpreting this correctly, you can hardly hear them but since the mics are outside you can still hear the game sounds?

He fixed him after the Yankees acquired him from tigers. Another 40 plus homer season incoming for the grandyman.

Plz yes

Also, fWAR changes make Mets pitchers from dead last to 18th, and our starters rank top ten now.

deGrom – from 3.0 to 3.5
Colon – from 2.1 to 2.8
Wheeler – from 1.8 to 2.5
Niese – from 1.6 to 2.3
Gee – from -0.1 to 0.4

Much, much happier. Out of every team we changed the most IIRC.

JDeluis

I don't know about unlocator, but unblock us worked perfect to bypass the blackouts for me. I also used my PS3 and iPad last year.

I used unlocator on a trial last season and on the PS3 too. It was really easy (just switched my DNS on the PS3) and smooth. Do it!

Thank you both. I'll give it a go. Are any of you using Netflix and did it affect anything when you switched your DNS?

CA0Gf-3W4AADlpO.jpg

Straight from the Harold Reynolds play book.

I always believed if I met one athlete from each of the four major North American sports organizations, I'd like the baseball player the least. Shame since it's my favorite sport. The players seem ultra-resistant to evolution and very quick to refer to proponents of the concept as the geeks or eggheads upstairs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I always believed if I met one athlete from each of the four major North American sports organizations, I'd like the baseball player the least. Shame since it's my favorite sport. The players seem ultra-resistant to evolution and very quick to refer to proponents of the concept as the geeks or eggheads upstairs.

Some baseball players are a lot more open to analytics than others. Same with every sport - see Barkley's rants in regards to the NBA for example.

Is this based on starting catchers or are they accounting for the backup as well?

All backups.

VklN6Ai.png

Arizona makes Atlanta feel good about Bethancourt/Pierzynski!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jeez, Olivera still hasn't signed with anyone? Isn't he hoping to make it straight to the bigs?

Beckx

CA0Gf-3W4AADlpO.jpg

Straight from the Harold Reynolds play book.

"If we all just took our walks, no one would be scoring runs."

Uh.

Oh god I wish that would happen to the YES network crew. If I'm interpreting this correctly, you can hardly hear them but since the mics are outside you can still hear the game sounds?

Nah, it was all nearly inaudible at max volume. Something was fucked up because a foul ball hit the press box and the volume went normal for a few seconds then cratered again. MLB radio feeds have been hit and miss for me this spring. Root sports feeds have been fine (all through MLB tv).

That Brandon Phillips quote is mind numbingly stupid. You think a baseball player of all people would understand the importance of getting on base. It doesn't matter how you do it, get on base.

BFIB

Thank you both. I'll give it a go. Are any of you using Netflix and did it affect anything when you switched your DNS?
Nope, in fact a lot of the other Netflix regions has a lot to offer. Check the Netflix thread here on GAF.

Wheels came off in the seventh.

But these two teams are so anemic.

You can tell they're weak teams. Neither has batters that read pitches well at all. I saw Eimei ground out on the same pitch three times in that inning. Takeda is a decent pitcher, but I expect him to get blown apart in the next round.

And it just gets worse for Eimei.

Their Kantoku should pull Tanaka, he's got nothing left. I love how they've already started talking about Hiranuma vs Setou in the next round lol

You have to be desperate to hack at that pathetic curve.

Beckx

Second game on and Gifushou's Takahashi is throwing heat. Cracked the 150 kph mark a few times in that inning.

Sounds like Gifushou is the favorite here.

Second game on and Sakashita is throwing heat. Cracked the 150 kph mark a few times in that inning.

Sounds like Gifushou is the favorite here.

Meanwhile Onda hits 120 once in a blue moon. Polar opposites.

Gifushou is a traditional power, nobody else from Gifu really does anything of note. Matsugaku is a usual top-8 team in Nagano and makes periodic appearances in summer Koshien. But they don't have anywhere near the caliber of players Gifushou assembles. And it shows.

Beckx

Takahashi's like "fuck it, defense is killing me, just gonna burn this last guy down with gas"

149, 150, then gets him whiffing at 130.

Beckx

Splitter is really nice too.

Yeah totally.

A guy strikes out, gets hit by the pitch, and ball gets past the catcher. A play so baffling the ump had to grab a mic to explain the call.

Edit: dude just crushed that pitch. Onda does not look like he's having fun.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...ans-not-close-in-contract-talks-after-meeting

Corey Kluber, Indians 'not close' in contract talks after meeting
March 24, 2015 9:52 am ET

Corey Kluber rode an 18-4 record and 2.44 ERA to the 2014 AL Cy Young Award. (Getty Images) Corey Kluber rode an 18-4 record and 2.44 ERA to the 2014 AL Cy Young Award. (Getty Images)

Cy Young-winner Corey Kluber and the Indians were said to be "not close" to finding common ground on a long-term deal when Kluber's agent and team higher-ups met in Goodyear, Ariz., last week, people familiar with the talks said.

Kluber's agent, B.B. Abbott, declined comment on the meetings, or the tenor of the talks other than saying, "The lines of communication between myself and the Indians are and will continue to be open."

Abbott met last week with Indians owner Paul Dolan, team president Mark Shapiro and GM Chris Antonetti, who also declined to comment. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer first reported the meeting.

The Indians have a history of signing their best controllable players to long-term deals, going back to the John Hart era, and did so with Michael Brantley last winter, agreeing to a four-year, $25 million deal.

Kluber had a spectacular 2014 season, almost out of nowhere, which dramatically raised his value. Yet, in some way he isn't in a great bargaining position, as a pre-arbitration player with four more years of team control who turns 29 on April 10.

Kluber is thought to be open to a deal, and Abbott has a history of doing big deals before free agency, ans even the occasional one before arbitration, as he did when White Sox star Chris Sale signed a record five-year, $32.5 million deal before he'd hit arbitration.

However, Kluber is in a little bit tougher spot, as he'd be nearing 33 when he hits free agency as things stand, since the Indians have him for four more years. He has made just over $1 million to date in his career and is set to be paid $601,000 in 2015 in his last year before arbitration.

Kluber, who declined a week ago to talk about negotiations, was 18-9 with a 2.44 ERA and 269 strikeouts last season, enough to beat Mariners superstar Felix Hernandez for the Cy Young Award.

Such a weird spot to be in. Dude came out of nowhere 2 seasons ago, is getting older, barely made any money in his career, but suddenly wins the Cy Young last year. Was it a fluke, should he get paid, what...

Top Bottom