• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Beckx

Osaka Toin, Tsugara Kehi and Sendai Ikuei all on one side of the bracket and one of the latter two will be gone after 2nd round. Meanwhile based on the games so far Gifushou has no real competition in their side outside of Tenri.

Osaka Toin, Tsugara Kehi and Sendai Ikuei all on one side of the bracket and one of the latter two will be gone after 2nd round. Meanwhile based on the games so far Gifushou has no real competition in their side outside of Tenri.

Parity slowly but surely has eroded over the past decade. Used to be Tokyo, Kyushu, and Shigoku produced consistent powers that competed every year. Now it's just small private schools that control everything.

Tenri has almost no shot to beat Kehi or Toin. If Gifushou can't muster offense in the best 16 I don't see them advancing either.

My money is, unfortunately, on Toin running the table again. It just seems like nobody has the offense to take advantage of their mediocre pitching.

In OOTP 16, he initially asked for 4 years/31.5 in my first game.

EDIT: Speaking of OOTP, this just happened:

OvBMUYo.png
Even in the virtual world Andrew Friedman gets shit done.

Beckx

And Tenri seriously struggled against vastly inferior competition today.

Outside of the first baseman Sakaguchi (who showed good eye and power) they didn't have much on display. Those bunts, my god.

Pretty much rooting for Kehi, I want to keep watching Hiranuma make people look silly.

RBH

649_springpass_hdr.jpg

For a one-time cost of $49, you are guaranteed a seat at Turner Field for 21 Braves games in the months of April and May*. Buy now and spend the spring at Turner Field!

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

• You can buy up to four (4) passes, so if you want to sit with family and friends, be sure to purchase all your Braves Spring Pass passes in one transaction.
  • Download the MLB.com Ballpark app and create (or login to a pre-existing) MLB.com account using the same email address you purchased your Braves Spring Pass with.
  • Tickets for all 21 games will be loaded into the app before April 10. Your barcodes cannot be transferred, so please plan to enter Turner Field with your group.
  • A few hours before first pitch, you'll receive your seat location. We'll alert you via text message, and then you will need to accept the seats within the app to indicate you're going to the game. Your seat will be different for each game, and located in the Upper Deck, Outfield... even the Infield!
  • *Braves Spring Pass does not include Opening Day on April 10.
http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/atl/ticketing/spring_pass.jsp

Outside of the first baseman Sakaguchi (who showed good eye and power) they didn't have much on display. Those bunts, my god.

They're always bad at bunting. Oh god are they bad. But like I said Nara has no other competition right now, they run the place by default, Chigaku is down right now so they aren't competing like they used too. Which is a shame.

Edit: I'm pulling for Oumi, but yeah Hiranuma is certainly fun to watch. And the revenge angle from losing last summer must be burning in his chest.

Kendai too stronk. This pitching is ridiculous, but it's just as much bad timing on reading the pitcher. The batters look lost. Kendai might be a darkhorse here, I didn't think their bats were that good but they've certainly come to life today.

After being cut by the Nationals this week, Heath Bell has announced his retirement.

Heath Bell was cut this week by the Nationals. He was not particularly impressive, going 0-1 with a 5.68 ERA. In 6.1 IP, he gave up 5 runs (4 earned), 7 hits, and walked 5 with 7 strikeouts. His WHIP was a cringe-worthy 1.895.

Instead of trying to catch on with another team, Bell, 37, has announced his retirement.

At one point, Bell was one of the elite closers in baseball. His emergence led to a very messy divorce between the Padres and Trevor Hoffman, who spent his final two seasons in Milwaukee.

In his first full season as a closer in 2009, Bell recorded 42 saves and was a first-time All-Star. Over 11 seasons with the Mets, Padres, Marlins, Diamondbacks, and Rays, he finished with 168 career saves. He was a three-time All-Star, however he never was able to pitch in the postseason in his career.

Bell was drafted by the New York Mets in 1998. The Mets called him up in 2004, where he performed marginally as a middle-relief pitcher. In November 2006, the Mets traded Bell to the Padres, where he suddenly emerged as an elite relief pitcher. Ater two seasons as Trevor Hoffman's automatic setup man, the decision was made to let Hoffman leave San Diego and promote Bell to the closer.

Bell parlayed his San Diego success into a big free agent deal (3 years, $28 million) with the newly-christened Miami Marlins in 2012 as one of many big-splash signings Miami made to champion their new ballpark. Bell's tenure with the Marlins, however, was disastrous. He lost his closer's role during the season to Steve Cishek, who still is the 9th inning man in Miami.

The Marlins unloaded him after the season in the big firesale, going to the Diamondbacks, where he didn't fare much better. After 2013, the Diamondbacks sent him to Tampa Bay, where he didn't play much and wasn't very impressive when he did.

He signed a minor league deal with the Nationals with a spring training invite in hopes of rediscovering himself with no success.

Baseball-Reference estimates Bell made approximately $37.6 million in his career.

Beckx

Kendai too stronk. This pitching is ridiculous, but it's just as much bad timing on reading the pitcher. The batters look lost. Kendai might be a darkhorse here, I didn't think their bats were that good but they've certainly come to life today.

I had to catch up on sleep and missed everything after Tenri. Wish I'd set up my pc to record the final game. 21st century team with the upset!

Looking like Jaime Garcia is going to be healthy enough to be the Cardinals' 5th starter, at least at the beginning of the season.

Carlos Martinez can't catch a break.

Looking like Jaime Garcia is going to be healthy enough to be the Cardinals' 5th starter, at least at the beginning of the season.

So the Cubs vs. Cards series is going to look like:(?)

Lester vs. Wainwright
Arrieta vs. Lynn
Hammel vs Lackey

Pretty interesting matchups there.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Really wondering why the hell the Indians would even want to do a new deal with Kluber. They have him under team control until hes 33. At that point they probably wouldn't even want to resign him to anything more than a couple of years. So they might as well just let him play it out.

MLB Investigating Claim That Marlins Pitcher Jarred Cosart Bet On Sports

We have no idea if Jarred Cosart bets on sports. (Maybe you do! Let's talk.) MLB doesn't either, but it intends to find out. After last nights emergence of screenshots of Twitter messages claiming to show the Marlins starter talking bets, MLB has announced that its Department of Investigations will look into the allegations.

That obviously doesn't mean there's anything there, or that the source of these claims—an anonymous Twitter tout—has legitimacy. (Gambling Twitter is a shady place.) But an MLB spokesperson told the Miami New Times that they're checking it out, because they pretty much have to; betting is basically baseball's one unforgivable sin. The Marlins confirmed the MLB probe and declined further comment.

http://deadspin.com/mlb-investigating-claim-that-marlins-pitcher-jarred-cos-1693563143

Meier

Someone who follows Cubans more than I do: Is this a good signing by the Dodgers? That is an absolutely massive signing bonus, so at least his actual salary will be nominal over the course of the deal, but he's no spring chicken.

Edit: Looks like this was covered by a lot of you yesterday. Seem to share my sentiments.. hopefully this UCL thing is bullshit and he actually even has a career with us. As much of a detractor of Uribe as I can be (due solely to his age), the dude has come good for us so another year of him platooning is not necessarily a bad thing.

BFIB

If he wasn't being paid $9 mil this year, I wonder if the outlook would be different.

Kind of feel the Cards have the "We have to get something out of what we've spent" mentality. But you can't keep C-Mart down forever.

Beckx

Baseball players aren't allowed to bet on other sports? Why the fuck not?

Betting or being involved in gambling at all on baseball itself is a lifetime ban from the sport under a ruling establish almost 100 years ago (the 1919 "Black Sox Scandal" - see Field of Dreams). So Pete Rose is out for betting his own team would win. Edit: misread post, didn't see "other" I'm still fucking tired. But hey it made me think about Field of Dreams again so there's that.

Yeah, I hadn't heard it included other sports.

You can do a lot of shit and still be in the Hall, but god forbid you place a bet. What's fucked up is that the 1919 scandal involved match fixing.

What the hell has that kid been eating?

I don't understand his obsession with getting bigger. It's not like strength was ever an issue for him dude was hitting 500 feet homeruns when he was like 16. With his injury history I'd be worried that he's overworking himself. Dude's gonna end up with some WWE injuries, tearing muscles off the bone and shit if he's not careful.

So the Cubs vs. Cards series is going to look like:(?)

Lester vs. Wainwright
Arrieta vs. Lynn
Hammel vs Lackey

Pretty interesting matchups there.

Lynn and Lackey might be switched. Or at least that's what the "rotation" is right now. I would think the Cardinals are higher on Lynn than Lackey though.

If he wasn't being paid $9 mil this year, I wonder if the outlook would be different.

Kind of feel the Cards have the "We have to get something out of what we've spent" mentality. But you can't keep C-Mart down forever.

It would be good to get some innings out of Jaime (not only because he's owed $9 million) because there's no way Wacha and Martinez would throw 200 innings this year.

But man I don't want Martinez to be switched between starter and bullpen like they've done for the past two years. I feel like he's lot considerable development because of it.

Basically what this means is that the Cardinals need a 6 man rotation. Which I am in favor of, though it realistically has no chance of happening

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Really wondering why the hell the Indians would even want to do a new deal with Kluber. They have him under team control until hes 33. At that point they probably wouldn't even want to resign him to anything more than a couple of years. So they might as well just let him play it out.

I fully agree.

Is it just me or has the usage of sabermetrics increased in these threads?

Good to see.

We've chased the old school people out.

eznark

Banned
I don't understand his obsession with getting bigger. It's not like strength was ever an issue for him dude was hitting 500 feet homeruns when he was like 16. With his injury history I'd be worried that he's overworking himself. Dude's gonna end up with some WWE injuries, tearing muscles off the bone and shit if he's not careful.

He is tired of getting the shit kicked out of him by walls.

I still think it's crazy Lackey is playing on that contract.
Makes you think how much he hated playing for Boston.

It would be good to get some innings out of Jaime (not only because he's owed $9 million) because there's no way Wacha and Martinez would throw 200 innings this year.

But man I don't want Martinez to be switched between starter and bullpen like they've done for the past two years. I feel like he's lot considerable development because of it.

Basically what this means is that the Cardinals need a 6 man rotation. Which I am in favor of, though it realistically has no chance of happening
Yeah, Hymay winning a spot in the rotation has more to do with him being healthy (for now), being a pretty good pitcher when healthy, and not being a suitable bullpen option.

Would be cool to see the team commit to making Cmart into a starter but I doubt he starts the year in AAA.

Top Bottom