• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Parch

lol Diamondbacks
Seriously. Tuffy Gosewisch is their starting catcher? Arizona's lineup is wacko.. Goldschmidt is a good bat to build around but they're going with a lot of mediocres on that team. Is this Tomas guy for real?
That starting rotation looks like a mess. Good luck with that.
Hard to predict how this team will end up, but I'd bet on it being a groaner season for the Diamondbacks.

Beckx

Any good teams or pitchers playing tonight? #Senbatsu

According to the previews, Tenri beat some of the teams that have already won their first round games, they play in the first game. Players to watch on Tenri are first baseman Sakaguchi (6ft, 200 lbs) and center fielder Funabiki. The liveblog guy should have a preview up shortly before the game starts.

In the second game, if Nishogakusha Fuzoku loses, there will be no representative from Tokyo region in the second round.

----------------

McCutcheon finally back in the lineup today. Running in the outfield like nothing's wrong.

Parch

Such a weird spot to be in. Dude came out of nowhere 2 seasons ago, is getting older, barely made any money in his career, but suddenly wins the Cy Young last year. Was it a fluke, should he get paid, what...
It's a tough situation for Cleveland because Kluber has nothing to lose by waiting for free agency. I doubt he's going to stink up the place this year, and it's guaranteed that somebody is going to cough up megabucks when he becomes available. If Cleveland thinks they're going to get a reasonable long term contract, not going to happen.

It's a tough situation for Cleveland because Kluber has nothing to lose by waiting for free agency. I doubt he's going to stink up the place this year, and it's guaranteed that somebody is going to cough up megabucks when he becomes available. If Cleveland thinks they're going to get a reasonable long term contract, not going to happen.

Isn't it in Kluber's best interest to lock up a long-term deal? Cleveland doesn't have much to lose if they let him walk -- they still have four more years from him at presumably reasonable rates, and at the end of that time he'll be 33. Unless there's reason to believe that he's going to age incredibly well, they have every reason to just ride his arm until it gives out or he goes back to being mediocre. Kluber, by contrast, has every reason to go for the money now, because at 33, odds will be against him getting much of a payday when he reaches free agency.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dodgers sign Olivera 6 years $62.5mm.

That is a huge coup for Olivera and his agents. Dude's of questionable age, has a significant injury history and the Dodgers don't even really have a position for him to play. It's also about $15mm beyond the figures that were being thrown around in the rumor mill. That Doyer green.

Parch

Isn't it in Kluber's best interest to lock up a long-term deal? Cleveland doesn't have much to lose if they let him walk -- they still have four more years from him at presumably reasonable rates
That's my fault for scanning the article. I didn't realize they had him for 4 more years. That definitely complicates the situation.

I imagine his agent brings the Cy Young award to polish up during the negotiations. If they continue to be "not close", I wonder if a holdout situation is under consideration.

Isn't it in Kluber's best interest to lock up a long-term deal? Cleveland doesn't have much to lose if they let him walk -- they still have four more years from him at presumably reasonable rates, and at the end of that time he'll be 33. Unless there's reason to believe that he's going to age incredibly well, they have every reason to just ride his arm until it gives out or he goes back to being mediocre. Kluber, by contrast, has every reason to go for the money now, because at 33, odds will be against him getting much of a payday when he reaches free agency.

I would think so too. Kluber's an injury away from a severely reduced payday.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
CA4Ca0WW8AIC1nI.jpg

Motherfucking FUCK, now we're guaranteed going to be shit this year

DAT SI CURSE

It's why Springer hurt his quad!

rekameohs

Banned
Seriously. Tuffy Gosewisch is their starting catcher? Arizona's lineup is wacko.. Goldschmidt is a good bat to build around but they're going with a lot of mediocres on that team. Is this Tomas guy for real?
That starting rotation looks like a mess. Good luck with that.
Hard to predict how this team will end up, but I'd bet on it being a groaner season for the Diamondbacks.

Well, yeah, of course it will be bad. You don't correct a Towers disaster overnight.

It's a lot of money but I'm glad they grabbed him. You've got Rollins, Uribe, and Kendrick working on one-year deals. 2016 would see Seager, Olivera, and maybe Guerrero taking up those spots for the future.

Meanwhile I have no idea what will happen to Arrruerururubanana.

Malo

Banned
It's a lot of money but I'm glad they grabbed him. You've got Rollins, Uribe, and Kendrick working on one-year deals. 2016 would see Seager, Olivera, and maybe Guerrero taking up those spots for the future.
I thought my namesake (Guerrero) was out of the Dodgers future plans.

zroid

Banned
what I don't get is why, when Goins is in the lineup, he plays 2B while Reyes plays SS. Reyes is so bad defensively and Goins is a natural SS as-is... please don't tell me it's because of seniority or something

Parch

what I don't get is why, when Goins is in the lineup, he plays 2B while Reyes plays SS. Reyes is so bad defensively and Goins is a natural SS as-is... please don't tell me it's because of seniority or something
National Post is saying that Devon Travis is the front runner for the 2B job and Izturis will start on the DL.
Goins really should be on the team all year just for defense and to give Reyes a day off now and then. Goins is having a decent spring with the bat too.

Malo

Banned
Might be with this Olivera deal. They could end up keeping Kendrick another year if need be.
I'm going to assume that Olivera is going to play third with Uribe being the odd man out?

I hope Cashman looks into that. He's a hell of a lot better than Stephen fucking Drew.

jl4855

National Post is saying that Devon Travis is the front runner for the 2B job and Izturis will start on the DL.
Goins really should be on the team all year just for defense and to give Reyes a day off now and then. Goins is having a decent spring with the bat too.

may not mean anything once the games start counting. track record hasnt shown much so far.

zroid

Banned

Yeah wouldn't surprise me if it's Travis. I'm not really sold on him but oh well. Aren't exactly ton of options. He doesn't seem to be great defensively though, so a Reyes-Travis middle infield could be... bad.

No way Goins keeps it up, but having him around as a defensive replacement would make a lot of sense. Then again, it would also make sense to only carry two catchers, but Dickey apparently just has to have Thole, and Navarro somehow hasn't been traded yet, so their roster flexibility is limited.

Parch

Then again, it would also make sense to only carry two catchers, but Dickey apparently just has to have Thole, and Navarro somehow hasn't been traded yet, so their roster flexibility is limited.
The Navarro situation is starting to look like a problem because they want Encarnacion to mostly DH. First base seems to be a competition between Smoak and Barton. Since Thole is going to stick around, it's really time to move Navarro.

That is a huge coup for Olivera and his agents. Dude's of questionable age, has a significant injury history and the Dodgers don't even really have a position for him to play. It's also about $15mm beyond the figures that were being thrown around in the rumor mill. That Doyer green.

My sentiments exactly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mets better not sign any Cubans. cuz if they do, that will be the one to ruin it all for the Cubans. threy can do no wrong right now.

I still can't believe Alderson publically admitted that part of the reason they set their rotation up the way they did was so they could maximize ticket sales.

I still can't believe Alderson publically admitted that part of the reason they set their rotation up the way they did was so they could maximize ticket sales.

Alderson is a little different when it comes to the media. i gotta read this shit but i aint surpised. two sellouts opening week.

According to the previews, Tenri beat some of the teams that have already won their first round games, they play in the first game. Players to watch on Tenri are first baseman Sakaguchi (6ft, 200 lbs) and center fielder Funabiki. The liveblog guy should have a preview up shortly before the game starts.

In the second game, if Nishogakusha Fuzoku loses, there will be no representative from Tokyo region in the second round.

----------------

McCutcheon finally back in the lineup today. Running in the outfield like nothing's wrong.

Tenri does well in their region usually. They've got good hitting but mediocre pitching. Not power to blast it deep but good gap power. Their pitching is a real concern though, they got beat up in Meiji Jingu.

Tokyo is weak this year.

Might be with this Olivera deal. They could end up keeping Kendrick another year if need be.

I just don't see a guy as smart as Friedman trading Heany for a year of Kendrick. They'll find a way to keep him around.

That's my fault for scanning the article. I didn't realize they had him for 4 more years. That definitely complicates the situation.

I imagine his agent brings the Cy Young award to polish up during the negotiations. If they continue to be "not close", I wonder if a holdout situation is under consideration.

I would think so too. Kluber's an injury away from a severely reduced payday.

Well luckily he's not the kind of pitcher that relies on high heat. He's got a sinking 2 seamer and that Curve/slider Hybrid is just absolutely devastating. So I hope age won't be too much of a factor in his low to mid 30s.

I wouldn't think last year was a fluke either as he was showing tremendous potential 2 years ago the 2nd half of the season. You wanna reward the guy aswell even if it's a business at the end of the day. I hope he gets the Sale pre-arbitration money, but the problem is, we had that Masterson situation. Guy had 1 pretty fantastic season 2 years ago and then the contract negotations started. Couldn't get to an agreement, everyone was pissed, but Masty just laid an egg last year.

Tenri is so thoroughly mediocre. They're the definition of a paper tiger.

That was the worst safety squeeze ever.

I deeply hope we see Osaka Toin fall.

Top Bottom