• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

I don't understand how someone can be opposed to using numbers to understand baseball better. It's not like they haven't always been used. We've just reached a stage where you can use ones that tell you more than RBI and ERA.

Baseball players aren't allowed to bet on other sports? Why the fuck not?

I'd assume it's because they're worried that if a player bets big and loses, it opens the door to being indebted to gamblers and throwing games. It's less likely now than it was 100 years ago, but I can see the reasoning.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I dont think I am super hardline but I am definitely not a saber person.

I don't have a problem with sabrmetrics, I just get annoyed when people use sabrmetrics as though they're a completely accurate indicator of future performance.

I don't have a problem with sabrmetrics, I just get annoyed when people use sabrmetrics as though they're a completely accurate indicator of future performance.

That is my problem also. People will say so and so was a negative WAR player last year so there is no possible scenario that he could improve the following year. I just dislike the way that people use the information.

I agree with both of you. I feel like a bunch of people now basically ignore watching how the game is played and instead just cite sabremetrics.

It's funny how many games I've watched with friends who are pretty into sabremetrics but seem to be unable to figure out what pitch is going to be thrown next. Sabremetrics are fantastic, but you still need to watch the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That is my problem also. People will say so and so was a negative WAR player last year so there is no possible scenario that he could improve the following year. I just dislike the way that people use the information.

Then there are people who see one graph out of context and say "stop playing the game, the computers have figured it out." ;)

Friggz

Forbes ranked the yankees as the most valuable franchise in baseball..and tied with the cowboys as the most valuable franchise in the country.

They would have been second most valuable if they spent the extra 10 million to sign moncada.

cashman

Banned
CA4GqfTUMAAo9Bh.png
CA4GpqhVEAACTG9.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Newly affiliated with the Astros, AAA club Fresno offering 2017 World Series ring promotion later this August:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=114621238&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

The Fresno Grizzlies have seen the future: the Houston Astros will be the World Champions in 2017.

The Grizzlies are so confident in the imminent success of their new parent club that they are giving away Houston Astros 2017 World Championship rings to fans attending August 15's game.
It's all part of a larger Back to the Future-themed promotion, during which the club will wear Delorean-inspired jerseys with "The Future Starts in Fresno" emblazoned across the front.

K8d2lNh.jpg

The karmic backlash potential is great, don't be toying with the baseball gods Astros!

Honestly I don't think Harper is juicing. He's still a kid (22) so for him to put on that amount of muscle isn't completely unbelievable. He doesn't drink since he's a Mormon and he's also a health freak.

I think he just works out all of the time because he isn't allowed to have any fun.

BFIB

The only thing it makes you think is that he thinks he can get another big payday.

He approached the Cards on restructuring the deal. Cardinals delined since they are not planning on offering him any extension offer before he hits FA.

eznark

Banned
I'd assume it's because they're worried that if a player bets big and loses, it opens the door to being indebted to gamblers and throwing games. It's less likely now than it was 100 years ago, but I can see the reasoning.

Players are a lot less likely to lose big gambling than they are the awful investments their agents talk them into.

No. How does it make me think that?
Didn't he threaten to sit out this season when he was still a Red Sox and then immediately stated he would honor the 500k contract after he was traded?

The only thing it makes you think is that he thinks he can get another big payday.
If so, why the threats to sit out the year when he was still in Boston? Probably because he wanted to force a trade?

eznark

Banned
If so, why the threats to sit out the year when he was still in Boston? Probably because he wanted to force a trade?

Force a trade/renegotiation yeah. Also, he sort of lost all his leverage when he went to St. Louis and pitched poorly. He has to pitch this year if he wants a multiyear deal after this one.

Parch

I feel like a bunch of people now basically ignore watching how the game is played and instead just cite sabremetrics.
I was following minor league ball really closely during the moneyball era. Oakland was my home team's triple-A affiliate. They had some success so the whole saber crowd got really cocky. Now it's been further incorporated into baseball but it hasn't replaced baseball. Even so, it's a pretty big myth that scouts back then didn't know anything about sabermetrics. It's their job, so some stat geek throwing around numbers NEVER knew more than the scouts. It was the 90's, not the 30's.

That's also why scouts haven't disappeared. There are too many variables that can't be found in a stat line, particularly at the minor league developmental level. Players are trying new things. They're coming off injury or playing hurt. Of course their numbers won't look good, but the teams know the circumstances. So do the scouts.

Sabermetrics is grossly overrated.

Can you actually cite examples of this? Because I have my doubts that anyone would actually say something so dumb -- that's not how WAR works at all. They might point to a player's WAR to say that he wasn't as good as he seemed (i.e. Joe Carter/Ruben Sierra-type players who racked up RBIs but didn't do much else, or guys whose defensive contributions were so bad they negate whatever they might do with the bat -- i.e. Matt Kemp/Adam Dunn), but no one who knows what they're talking about is going to say that because a player's WAR was terrible one year, it's guaranteed to be terrible the next. They'd point to the underlying reasons, like lucky/unlucky BABIP, or drops in velocity, or really bad contact rates...numbers with actual predictive value. WAR isn't predictive.

First $400MM player.

I'm still annoyed Mike Trout went for the guaranteed payday. I wanted him to reach free agency and break the bank.

Can you actually cite examples of this? Because I have my doubts that anyone would actually say something so dumb -- that's not how WAR works at all. They might point to a player's WAR to say that he wasn't as good as he seemed (i.e. Joe Carter/Ruben Sierra-type players who racked up RBIs but didn't do much else, or guys whose defensive contributions were so bad they negate whatever they might do with the bat -- i.e. Matt Kemp/Adam Dunn), but no one who knows what they're talking about is going to say that because a player's WAR was terrible one year, it's guaranteed to be terrible the next. They'd point to the underlying reasons, like lucky/unlucky BABIP, or drops in velocity, or really bad contact rates...numbers with actual predictive value. WAR isn't predictive.
I have an inkling his example centers around Ryan Howard and aging curves.

3N16MA

Banned
I was following minor league ball really closely during the moneyball era. Oakland was my home team's triple-A affiliate. They had some success so the whole saber crowd got really cocky. Now it's been further incorporated into baseball but it hasn't replaced baseball. Even so, it's a pretty big myth that scouts back then didn't know anything about sabermetrics. It's their job, so some stat geek throwing around numbers NEVER knew more than the scouts. It was the 90's, not the 30's.

That's also why scouts haven't disappeared. There are too many variables that can't be found in a stat line, particularly at the minor league developmental level. Players are trying new things. They're coming off injury or playing hurt. Of course their numbers won't look good, but the teams know the circumstances. So do the scouts.

Sabermetrics is grossly overrated.

If sabermetrics is overrated what would you call more traditional stats such as ERA, wins, AVG?

Sanjuro

Didn't he threaten to sit out this season when he was still a Red Sox and then immediately stated he would honor the 500k contract after he was traded?

No. He didn't. It's just realistic to think that mostly all of the 30 ballclubs would throw $2-4M at him if he pulled a minor holdout.

Beckx

Getting into the numbers side makes me enjoy watching the games even more.

Baseball Between the Numbers is a great book. From Nate Silver's examination of hitting in the clutch to breaking down leverage to why "Beane's shit doesn't work in the playoffs" it was eye-opening.

jman2050

There's no problem with sabermetrics as a method for evaluating baseball players and what happens on the field. That is helpful and should be encouraged whenever possible. The real problem is terrible sites like Fangraphs that continually misuse the statistics they generate for their clickbaity narrative-driven articles written by people who don't know shit. And because of their public nature and because of herd mentality sites like that become the go-to source for anyone interested in baseball analysis in lieu of them actually attempting to learn how these statistics work and draw their own conclusions.

I guess it wouldn't be as bad if it were just fans or media types who are guided into this type of tunnel vision by my understanding is that even those inside of baseball operations are affected in this way.

ShaneB

Getting into the numbers side makes me enjoy watching the games even more.

Baseball Between the Numbers is a great book. From Nate Silver's examination of hitting in the clutch to breaking down leverage to why "Beane's shit doesn't work in the playoffs" it was eye-opening.

Thanks for pointing out this book, looks intriguing. Will add it to my to-read list.

For another baseball book recommendation I'll throw out this I Don't Care if We Never Get Back: 30 Games in 30 Days on the Best Worst Baseball Road Trip Ever , I thought it was hilarious.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
There's no problem with sabermetrics as a method for evaluating baseball players and what happens on the field. That is helpful and should be encouraged whenever possible. The real problem is terrible sites like Fangraphs that continually misuse the statistics they generate for their clickbaity narrative-driven articles written by people who don't know shit. And because of their public nature and because of herd mentality sites like that become the go-to source for anyone interested in baseball analysis in lieu of them actually attempting to learn how these statistics work and draw their own conclusions.

I guess it wouldn't be as bad if it were just fans or media types who are guided into this type of tunnel vision by my understanding is that even those inside of baseball operations are affected in this way.
$/WAR should probably be retired.

Top Bottom