• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Cubs don't seem to be interested in Robertson at his current price tag and also are not planning on signing 2 of the 3 big starters.

Makes sense with how many good starters potentially available next off season.

Jays trade Anthony Gose to the Tigers for 2nd base prospect Devon Travis.

I'm pleased with this from the Jays perspective. Travis was arguably the Tigers' best prospect (not that that means a whole lot, considering the strength of their farm system), and the Jays desperately needed a 2B. Most projections have him being at least a league average MLB second baseman, so if they can get that out of him, it'll be awesome. On top of that, Lawrie now gets to focus on 3B, where he's hopefully less likely to be constantly injured.

Of course, this also means that they're probably handing the CF job to a guy (Pompey) who started last year in high-A, and who has fewer than 200 ABs above A ball. He showed promise in his brief time up last year, but it'd still be nice to give him a bit more time to develop in the minors. I highly doubt they'd be doing it if it weren't for the fact he's Toronto-born.

thefro

Cubs don't seem to be interested in Robertson at his current price tag and also are not planning on signing 2 of the 3 big starters.

Makes sense with how many good starters potentially available next off season.

Agreed there... if the Cubs do exceed expectations and look like they can make a playoff run they can always trade for another starter at the deadline.

I expect:
- 1 A-tier starter
- 1 B-tier starter
- Experienced catcher who is great at pitch-framing (Russell Martin ideally)
- Veteran outfielder
- Maybe a bullpen guy? (not a closer)

jakncoke

Banned
Who's Justin Wilson?

2 years ago seemed to have a nice 98-99 fastball decent cutter. Would get guys out with ease. Last year seemed to hit 95-96 and leave his fastball in the meatball of the plate and hit off like a spring training bag tosser. If he can find what he had 2 years ago will be a decent reliever and maybe even you can put him in long relief as he was a SP up till shortly ago.

zroid

Banned
Sigh... going to miss Gose even though he couldn't contribute enough in the end. Really fun to watch when he was playing his game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/13/barry-zito-is-making-a-comeback/

Barry Zito didn’t pitch in 2014, taking a year off to, as Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com describes it, “travel, surf, and enjoy life away from baseball.”

And now he’s making a comeback.

Zito’s agent, Scott Boras, told reporters at the general managers meetings yesterday that the former Cy Young winner has been working out with his eye on returning in 2015 at age 36.

"He called me on the phone in August and said, “I’m ready to go. I want to pitch.” He set up the plan and did all of that."

Dan Haren with the burn on A.J. Ellis.

B2RpPRcIUAAY-8G.png:large

Regarding the Taveras blood-alcohol content news... just, damn. Three times over the Missouri limit, five times over the DR limit. I remember thinking back when Josh Hancock died how stupid that situation was. Hancock had basically made every possible mistake you could ever make when driving:

1) Blood alcohol content twice the legal limit
2) Texting while driving
3) Driving at night...
4) ...in the rain...
5) ...while speeding...
6) ...without wearing a seat belt.

I remember reports at the time that he was found with whatever random illegal drugs and associated paraphernalia with him, but I don't think there was evidence to show he was using anything that night. I seem to recall hearing that he didn't have his headlights on too, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, my point isn't to rag on Hancock and he certainly didn't deserve to go out the way he did, but I'm just thinking out loud. Taveras being drunk doesn't make his death any less sad or a huge loss for the Cardinals.

jbug617

Banned
Loria at it again. Watch him somehow trade that contract within 3 years if Stanton signs lol.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...he-marlins-are-discussing-a-300-million-deal/
He better get a no trade

Any Cuban SS escape the island? Mets need to sign him pronto.

Yoan Moncada
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/101256810/cuban-phenom-yoan-moncada-impressive-in-workout
How good is Moncada? He has more upside than Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo, who just reached a $72.5 million deal with the Red Sox. He’s better than Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas, who’s in the Dominican Republic but is still likely several months away from free agency. If Moncada were eligible for the 2015 draft, he would be in the mix to be the No. 1 overall pick. Gourriel and Despaigne would be safer bets, but there’s no player in Cuba with Moncada’s combination of youth, tools and hitting ability.

Fucking Giants man. If only Dodgers could have faced them in the playoffs. They don't have devil magic over the Dodgers and Kershaw.

It feels so bad bros.

JDeluis

It's happening. Kershaw going to win MVP. They're naming AL MVP first. I'm sure Trout is going to win it.

Don't mind me, I have no one to talk to at home. Everybody is at work. :(

Fucking Giants man. If only Dodgers could have faced them in the playoffs. They don't have devil magic over the Dodgers and Kershaw.

It feels so bad bros.

Even after winning WS, all they do is complain about the Dodgers. they can't get enough of Kershaw too.

JDeluis

Congrats Trout. Fully deserved. Do we have any Angels fans on here. I know we have Ducks fans, but they're worse than SF Giants fans. :)

XiaNaphryz

Even after winning WS, all they do is complain about the Dodgers. they can't get enough of Kershaw too.

Wah wah wah, poor LA. Can't wait for next Spring Training and all the "Dodgers the favorite to win it all for the second straight season" articles!

Kershaw is amazing but I'll take the 3 WS' to the 3 CY's. Plus Timmy has won 2 somewhat recently. I would love Kershaw to be on the staff though. 2 power lefties back to back. Makes me hard just thinking about it.

XiaNaphryz

He's had 2 bad playoff games in his last 6. He has plenty of time to shake off those bad performances.

It's 3 bad games in his last 6 starts, the Phillies got him pretty good. He also didn't do great in relief against the Phillies later that series either.

Macattk15

Some doofus on twitter floated a Gattis+BJ for Austin Jackson+(Paxton or Walker) trade idea.

1 ) Nobody wants BJ Upton ... you guys don't even want him!
2 ) I don't think Evan Gattis alone could get Walker or Paxton alone.

Can Gattis even play the outfield ... like seriously? Seems like a destined DH stuck in the NL!

Maybe we could trade a tier 2 pitcher like uh ... Tyler Pike or Luis Gohara ... something in that vein ... and maybe Michael Saunders since the M's seem deadset on trading him.

Top Bottom