• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

jakncoke

Banned
Are they going to keep Stanton though? I mean remember the year they opened the stadium they threw a shit ton of money around only to unload it before you could blink. If they could of landed Pujols he probably would of been dealt as well

Syrinx

Are they going to keep Stanton though? I mean remember the year they opened the stadium they threw a shit ton of money around only to unload it before you could blink. If they could of landed Pujols he probably would of been dealt as well

The deal includes a no-trade clause, and how the hell would they unload that contract for anything of value? If they were going to trade him, they'd probably just do it now.

jakncoke

Banned
The deal includes a no-trade clause, and how the hell would they unload that contract for anything of value? If they were going to trade him, they'd probably just do it now.

Trade him to the dogegers get stuff idk. Such a crazy deal. Also i was looking at spotrac and noticed how Cutch had just the 75th highest salary, sucks we're probably going to lose him in 5 years and he wont be able to retire a Pirate

BFIB

Anyone who thinks Stanton stays in Miami for this entire length is insane. This is Jeff Loria we're talking about.

My guess is its a limited no trade for 5 years, with an opt out at that point, which puts Stanton at age 30 to test FA again, if he so chooses.

Syrinx

Anyone who thinks Stanton stays in Miami for this entire length is insane. This is Jeff Loria we're talking about.

My guess is its a limited no trade for 5 years, with an opt out at that point, which puts Stanton at age 30 to test FA again, if he so chooses.

But say he doesn't opt out after those five years (meaning, he's not producing at the level he's making so wouldn't be able to find a better deal on the open market); who the hell is going to take on that contract? If the Marlins are counting on him opting out at that point, then I don't see why they couldn't give him a similar deal to what Mike Trout got and then, if they could, trade him after 5 years where he only has a year or two left and still has value. And if he doesn't, they ride it out for the next couple of years, or give him away, which they could feasibly do with that little time left on his contract.

clemenx

Banned
He's gonna opt out guaranteed if he signs that. This is just Loria making it seems liek he cares for the Marlins and Stanton collecting that crazy salary for those years.

BFIB

But say he doesn't opt out after those five years (meaning, he's not producing at the level he's making so wouldn't be able to find a better deal on the open market); who the hell is going to take on that contract? If the Marlins are counting on him opting out at that point, then I don't see why they couldn't give him a similar deal to what Mike Trout got and then, if they could, trade him after 5 years where he only has a year or two left and still has value. And if he doesn't, they ride it out for the next couple of years, or give him away, which they could feasibly do with that little time left on his contract.

I have a feeling the contract will be extremely front loaded. Just a guess.

He stays.
Oh shit didn't see it had an opt out

Well this is fucking disgusting.

Bugs, mold on menu at K.C. stadiums

Among the concerns found at the stadiums by the manager: cockroaches in vending areas, mouse feces on the same tray as pizza dough, sinks where employees were supposed to wash their hands being blocked by boxes or trash, employees eating in food prep areas and trays of food headed for customers that measured at unsafe temperatures. The health department found several critical violations, including mold growth in ice machines, dirty pans and trays and excessive numbers of fruit flies.

Dre3001

Usually 10 year deals end up as a failure only because the players signing them are older and exiting their prime (pujols, Arod, Cabrera, Fielder, etc).

In Stanton's case this deal may actually work out since he is young (25) and hasn't even hit his baseball prime yet(27/28).

He just turned 25 and has the 3rd most home runs in the history of the league at that age, is a .280-.300 hitter and arguably could have been the MVP of the season had he not gotten injured.

If the Marlins don't give him that contract it is guaranteed someone else will.

People assume because of attendance or Marlins past actions that Jeff Loria is broke when that is far from the case, he is just cheap.

Marlins have a solid young core (Fernandez, Ozuna, Yellich, Stanton) who were competitive and in the wild card picture for most of the year. If Marlins younger players continue to get better and build around Stanton I can see them making a run for a WS in the next few years.

Outside of Stanton the other players are not likely to be free agents for a while so I can see them having a four year window to make a run before trading away players that are due for a massive contract.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I remember when Bonds' 6 year 44m contract in 93 was considered record breaking. The year before Cal Ripken had the "biggest ever" at 5 years/30.5m.

Those were all bad contracts for under performing players. Most teams in the league would jump at a chance to get rid of contracts the way the Marlins did. As a Marlins fan, I am happy they made the deal. Of course that doesn't mean I don't think Loria is a horrible person and deserves to be tied to that thing they have in centerfield.

A-Rod was actually well worth his first 10 year contract and Stanton could easily do the same if he continues on his current trajectory. It's up to the Marlins to accommodate his salary accordingly within the cap and build a team around him if they want to contend for titles. A-Rod's second contract with the Yankees, along with Pujols, were the huge mistakes because those guys were already into their 30s and due for a fall off.

aFIGurANT

A-Rod was actually well worth his first 10 year contract and Stanton could easily do the same if he continues on his current trajectory. It's up to the Marlins to accommodate his salary accordingly within the cap and build a team around him if they want to contend for titles. A-Rod's second contract with the Yankees, along with Pujols, were the huge mistakes because those guys were already into their 30s and due for a fall off.

We have a winner. It will be interesting if Stanton does take that team back into a fluky WS appearance in the next decade+. Personally I think there's a decent chance.

clemenx

Banned
Oh shit my city's team just signed Shunsuke Watanabe in the Venezuelan Winter League I need to see that submarine in person. This same team hired Hideo Nomo before he retired. He was fun to see even though he sucked lol.

rando14

Robinson Cano suffers fractured toe after getting hit by pitch in Japan.

iS8coVx0uQMKm.gif

Top Bottom