• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Well fuck. I guess we stick with Castillo at C then and try to bring Scwarber along. Or maybe go and trafe for Castro or Montero to start. But that extra year is probably what scared the Cubs off I'm guessing.
And great job by the Cards on the Heyward trade.

Malvingt2

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN
Braves can now move Justin Upton back to RF where he is more comfortable and play Evan Gattis in LF

I can't even................................................ :/

RBH

The #Braves have acquired RHP Shelby Miller and RHP Tyrell Jenkins from the Cardinals in exchange for OF Jason Heyward and RHP Jordan Walden

yioV1.gif

BFIB

Whoa......not sure how I feel about that trade. I would have rather kept Shelby and given a deal to Markakis, or Hunter.

Heyward is in his walk year. Kind of surprising the Cards made this move.

Markakis isn't leaving Baltimore, though.

Well fuck. I guess we stick with Castillo at C then and try to bring Scwarber along. Or maybe go and trafe for Castro or Montero to start. But that extra year is probably what scared the Cubs off I'm guessing.
And great job by the Cards on the Heyward trade.

Navarro for Castro!

eznark

Banned
Whoa......not sure how I feel about that trade. I would have rather kept Shelby and given a deal to Markakis, or Hunter.

Need to win before the Baby Bears emerge from their cocoon

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Loria is possibly the best owner in Florida sports history.

Nah but I respect his con artist skills for being able to pretend like he was poor and broke and swindled hundreds of milions of taxpayer dollars. He spent more on keeping Stanton than he actually did on a new stadium.

clemenx

Banned

It looks like they've given up on Shelby Miller so the trade was basically for nothing. His career numbers are not good.

Talon

I'm not paying for MLB.tv next season. This is fan-killing bad.

I mean, for FUCK'S SAKE, you have money coming in by the buckets starting in 2017. What a fucking absurdly short-sighted move.

BFIB

It looks like they've given up on Shelby Miller so the trade was basically for nothing. His career numbers are not good.

It was going to come down to who the Cards wanted to invest long term in: Lynn or Miller.

Miller is going to hurt. Jenkins long term may hurt a lot worse. Though Walden takes the 8th spot, which means C-Mart gets to crack at the rotation. But I hate trading pitchers for players in their walk years, especially cost controlled ones.

Heyward one year of control, Walden two for #STLCards. Miller four years of control, Jenkins six for #Braves.

Honestly don't get the trade myself but thats a huge difference in team controlled years (and thus money)

I completely forgot about the years of control. It's not like Liberty Media was going to give Heyward anything, but still...I'm shocked that *this* is the best they could get for him.

Seems like a shit deal but a player like Heyward entering his last year provably isn't the most attractive player around. I would not want to be the guy deciding whether or not to give him a $140 million contract.

Enron

Banned
I am not mad at this deal. Hell, I like it.

I like JHey too but he was as good as gone after this year. And you get a guy who will probably end up being a #1 starter in the deal who is only 24 years old? Yes please.

BFIB

I like JHey too but he was as good as gone after this year. And you get a guy who will probably end up being a #1 starter in the deal who is only 24 years old? Yes please.

Two pitchers with a lot of upside actually. Jenkins numbers don't look great, but he has been dominant in winter ball after finally getting his shoulder worked on.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

meh, i just don't like trading away one of the best players in the game. they don't grow on trees.

Enron

Banned
Two pitchers with a lot of upside actually. Jenkins numbers don't look great, but he has been dominant in winter ball after finally getting his shoulder worked on.

Braves fans have been told for years that heyward is a baseball god so everyone is angry, but guys. Heyward was going to walk. Everyone in baseball knows what his potential is, despite whatever numbers he has put up here. He is going to get paid, BIG TIME. The Braves already made their choice, locking up Teheran and Freddy and Simmons and Kimbrell last year. Braves got back 2 pitchers with an asston of talent and team control. WHY IS THIS BAD

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Braves fans have been told for years that heyward is a baseball god so everyone is angry, but guys. Heyward was going to walk. Everyone in baseball knows what his potential is, despite whatever numbers he has put up here. He is going to get paid, BIG TIME. The Braves already made their choice, locking up Teheran and Freddy and Simmons and Kimbrell last year. Braves got back 2 pitchers with an asston of talent and team control. WHY IS THIS BAD

I know a lot of Rays fans freaked out about the Price trade but so far its worked out pretty well.

The difference is a team like the Rays has to care about team controlled salary. The Braves could have easily kept Heyward but the fact they didn't want to kind of says where they are headed salary wise.

I like Martin but the last two years of that deal have the potential to be ugly. At least he can DH though so he has some extra value there. I can understand why the cubs or dodgers wouldn't match that offer. Still I think id rather have Martin on his deal than Victor Martinez and his.

Side note: is Shelby Miller inevitably destined for the bullpen?

Enron

Banned
I know a lot of Rays fans freaked out about the Price trade but so far its worked out pretty well.

The difference is a team like the Rays has to care about team controlled salary. The Braves could have easily kept Heyward but the fact they didn't want to kind of says where they are headed salary wise.

I don't know about "easily kept". The Braves have a lot of money rolling in in 2017, but they've spent a bunch of it locking up all those guys last year and will have holes to fill potentially at 3rd and who knows elsewhere.

I like Martin but the last two years of that deal have the potential to be ugly. At least he can DH though so he has some extra value there. I can understand why the cubs or dodgers wouldn't match that offer. Still I think id rather have Martin on his deal than Victor Martinez and his.

Side note: is Shelby Miller inevitably destined for the bullpen?

destined for TJS

Top Bottom