• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Two pitchers with a lot of upside actually. Jenkins numbers don't look great, but he has been dominant in winter ball after finally getting his shoulder worked on.

He's a former first-round pick who just finished his third season of A-ball. He may have been relatively young for the league, but that doesn't fit the profile of someone with lots and lots of upside.

Meh @ the Martin signing

It has to be the precursor to another move. Having Martin and Navarro makes zero sense.

I like Martin but the last two years of that deal have the potential to be ugly. At least he can DH though so he has some extra value there. I can understand why the cubs or dodgers wouldn't match that offer. Still I think id rather have Martin on his deal than Victor Martinez and his.

Side note: is Shelby Miller inevitably destined for the bullpen?
Yep. He will make a great long man or setup man. And that's all you really need for one year of Heyward.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I know a lot of Rays fans freaked out about the Price trade but so far its worked out pretty well.

The difference is a team like the Rays has to care about team controlled salary. The Braves could have easily kept Heyward but the fact they didn't want to kind of says where they are headed salary wise.

At least in terms of revenue, they're only going up.

Malvingt2

The Braves trade Heyward: I understand it, but I still hate it

I understand this trade, and I’d note that, as recently as spring 2013, Shelby Miller was being lumped with Matt Harvey and Jose Fernandez and Matt Moore in the next wave of Great Young Arms. It will be fascinating to see what Roger McDowell can make of Miller, who hasn’t done all that much since. That said …

I hate this trade. I understand it, but I hate it. I hate trading a talent of such magnitude as Jason Heyward at any age, let alone a talent of 25 years, three months and eight days. He’s the best right fielder — and maybe the best fielder at any position — in the sport. He’s a terrific baserunner. He’s not yet the hitter we all expected him to be, but I repeat: He’s 25 years, three months and eight days old.

I understand that the Braves might well have lost Heyward to free agency 12 months hence. Were I the Braves, that’s a risk I’d have run. Better to take a chance at keeping him than to ship him to St. Louis, where you just know — well, don’t you? — he’s going to turn into Stan Musial.

Much more later. John Hart is holding a conference call at the top of the hour, and we’ll see what he has to say.

http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/201...e-it/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_braves_sfp

BFIB

Braves now looking at trading Upton!?

ad-fire-sale-2-o.gif

Man, was kinda looking forward to seeing Tyrell Jenkins reach the majors with the Cardinals. He's got some pretty raw stuff and he was only going to get better.

Heyward will absolutely help the team though. RF will no longer be a blackhole. Would be great if he would sign an extension.

edit: best news is Carlos Martinez may be in the rotation next season.

BFIB

Man, was kinda looking forward to seeing Tyrell Jenkins reach the majors with the Cardinals. He's got some pretty raw stuff and he was only going to get better.

Heyward will absolutely help the team though. RF will no longer be a blackhole. Would be great if he would sign an extension.

edit: best news is Carlos Martinez may be in the rotation next season.

1392625840846.gif

cashman

Banned
Miller was mediocre last season, and all the command issues either point to suck or elbow problems. Honestly if you're gonna take a risk on Miller they should have just gone for Wacha.

Malvingt2

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
#Braves Hart said it's not set in stone, but reiterated Gattis to LF and JUpton to RF is certainly an option. Still lot of time this winter.

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
Hart said #Braves have talked to Gattis about move to LF and that he's onboard with whatever they want him to do.

Gattis LF= Awful

So are the Barves AFK'ing 2015? And goddammit, it just HAD to be fucking St. Louis. Luckily it's for only the season, although Heywood will probably be enthralled with the Cardinal Way and sign long-term in the offseason. Wouldn't surprise me with Holliday being on the last year of his contract in 2016. Don't think that STL will pick up the 2017 club option, they're smarter than that.

Gattis in LF will be one of my favorite non-Brewer baseball subplots to follow next season.

Nate Schierholtz last two seasons 400 SLG and 28 hrs
Jason Heyward last two seasons 400 SLG and 25hrs

Wow didn't realize how bad his offense has declined. Still elite defensively though.

Enron

Banned
Nate Schierholtz last two seasons 400 SLG and 28 hrs
Jason Heyward last two seasons 400 SLG and 25hrs

Wow didn't realize how bad his offense has declined. Still elite defensively though.

Wouldn't say "declined". He was hurt for a lot of that and also hitting in weird spots in the lineup.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Padres jump into Pablo sweepstakes:

The Padres have interest in Pablo Sandoval, expanding the field of known interested teams in the star third baseman to five.

The incumbent Giants, where he has won three World Series rings, and the deep-pocketed Red Sox are seen as favorites, but San Diego makes sense, too. The Padres are in need of offense, and their third baseman posted a 28th best .613 OPS. They have been more prominently associated with Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas, who can play the outfield or possibly the hot corner.

The White Sox and Blue Jays also are interested in Sandoval.

BFIB

Well, his power declined. He is still a good hitter. And he's 25.

Cards have discussed someone else hitting leadoff, and moving MCarp down in the order. Maybe this is what they were alluding to, but I would think Heyward would bat down in the order.

RGVNOE

Jon Jay and Heyward in the OF? This truly is a post TLR Cardinals.

Should've sent Jay in that deal, regardless I hope they give grichuk a legitimate shot for an OF position, and they better put Heyward in CF, tired of everyone tagging and scoring on Jay

BFIB

CMart and Marco were going to come to spring training as starters either way, so maybe. Have a bad feeling Marco will be the 5th starter though. I mean, I like the guy and he's a perfectly fine 5th starter (also LHP), but CMart is just so good.

Cards could go with:

C-Mart/Walden/Rosie to try and give it away.

Cards could go with:

C-Mart/Walden/Rosie to try and give it away.
Hey, if CMart can pitch 7 strong innings a game, I'd be estatic. ;)

Whether this deal is a good one will probably come down to whether we can get a reasonable extension worked out for Heyward.

Heh, people are noticing the similarities in between this trade and the Wainwright one (except in reverse). Hoping Jenkins doesn't turn into the next Waino.

Parch

I hate the Russel Martin Signing though. The Jays are not his framing skills away from competing.
Too much money, but not really surprised. Blue Jays targeting a Canadian shouldn't be a surprise.
But yeah, it's not going to make a lot of difference on the field. That money could have been better spent elsewhere.

stn

Why are the Braves suddenly selling their OF? If they're planning to trade any Upton it should be BJ, even for 10 cents on the dollar.

Enron

Banned
Why are the Braves suddenly selling their OF? If they're planning to trade any Upton it should be BJ, even for 10 cents on the dollar.

Because no one wants BJ, even for free.

Also - Jason is walking anyways. Might as well get a return for him.

Top Bottom