• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

BFIB

Sinking feeling Maddon goes to the Cubs. Cards dominating years are quickly doomed. Brewers, Pirates, and the Cubs are improving.

Plus with Price being a pending FA after this coming season, it would be a logical choice.

Sinking feeling Maddon goes to the Cubs. Cards dominating years are quickly doomed. Brewers, Pirates, and the Cubs are improving.

Plus with Price being a pending FA after this coming season, it would be a logical choice.
Brewers aren't really improving. They may lose Ramirez, Braun is bad, and they don't have a farm system.

(though it is funny that you think Braun is "bad" while calling a sub replacement level player like Sizemore "perfectly capable)
Capable /= good on a bad team. Sizemore had better stats w/ the Phillies than the BoSox including defensively. Also Brauns contract has a lot do to with it as well.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well that sucks.

Guessing next Rays manager will be in house. Biggest gut punch of all will be when Hickey leaves to go join Chicago or wherever Maddon ends up.

Still a lot of talent on that team. I still think they are going to contend.
There's nothing to suggest they are improving though. At least not as much as you'd expect the Cubs, Pirates, Cards to improve. Reds and Brewers need a good offseason to keep up with the former 3.

eznark

Banned
There's nothing to suggest they are improving though. At least not as much as you'd expect the Cubs, Pirates, Cards to improve. Reds and Brewers need a good offseason to keep up with the former 3.

Yeah, after April the Brewers had a worse record than the Cubs. They aren't a good baseball team. The only hope is that the surgery Braun finally decided to have helps his thumb and that Jimmy Nelson shatters his ceiling.

Dre3001

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 13s14 seconds ago
Big mystery is why #Rays wouldn’t do whatever it took to keep Maddon b/c of his importance to the franchise. This isn’t just a baseball deal

Nobody wants to go on record with concrete stuff but there have been a few rumblings lately that Jeff Vinik, owner of the Tampa Bay lightning, was looking to purchase the team (Rays). He owns an enormous amount of land near Channelside in Tampa and has been purchasing several hotels and other businesses in the area.

This is all just speculation but I am wondering if Friedman and Maddon leaving has something to do with a possible upcoming ownership change.

For years the Rays front office has always been praised for how close knit they were and how well they worked together. If they had known beforehand of a possible upcoming ownership change, I wonder if that is what made them decide to leave.

I dont think Friedman left for the money since the Cubs were trying to get him before they brought on Theo Epstein and he turned them down and they could have paid him much more than the Rays. So I am wondering if he and Maddon found out about something and decided to leave rather than stay on.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Which jobs still open?
The Twins and Rays are the only teams who don't have a manager right now.

There are a bunch of bike trails and microbreweries in the Twin Cities, Maddon would love it there.
Unfortunately he wasn't born in St. Paul so I'm guessing the Twins are going to completely blow this and not even contact him.

BFIB

Maddon would be the perfect candidate for the Cards to get to help guide Matheny in the in game situations.

But no way Maddon takes a coaching job. He'll get a lot of money to manage elsewhere.

Meier

If we don't give Donnie the boot and hire Maddon then I will go apeshit. I don't care what is being said publicly, this has to happen.. NOW.

Big mystery is why #Rays wouldn’t do whatever it took to keep Maddon b/c of his importance to the franchise. This isn’t just a baseball deal

Nobody wants to go on record with concrete stuff but there have been a few rumblings lately that Jeff Vinik, owner of the Tampa Bay lightning, was looking to purchase the team (Rays). He owns an enormous amount of land near Channelside in Tampa and has been purchasing several hotels and other businesses in the area.

This is all just speculation but I am wondering if Friedman and Maddon leaving has something to do with a possible upcoming ownership change.

For years the Rays front office has always been praised for how close knit they were and how well they worked together. If they had known beforehand of a possible upcoming ownership change, I wonder if that is what made them decide to leave.

I dont think Friedman left for the money since the Cubs were trying to get him before they brought on Theo Epstein and he turned them down and they could have paid him much more than the Rays. So I am wondering if he and Maddon found out about something and decided to leave rather than stay on.
I could see that. But what power does Vinik wield to get them out of that horrible lease? Only way I see an owner stepping up and buying the Rays without relocation. Selig is a fucking piece of shit.

BFIB

Wainwright's getting bone spur removal surgery on his elbow. Hope it's as routine as it sounds and they don't find anything worse.

Apparently it was also ligament work. Speaks volumes that he relayed this issue to the Cardinals in late September, and they sent him out to pitch anyway.

He is then prescribed "rest" (Chris Carpenter anyone? Jaime Garcia?), and he takes it upon himself to get a second opinion, and surgery is recommended.

Our crackpot medical staff is just terrible when it comes to diagnosing an injury. Rolen, Edmonds, Chris Carpenter, Jamie Garcia, Lohse, Glaus in his second year, the list goes on and on when it comes to the medical staff and doing more harm than good.

Buster Olney is reporting that if the Cubs sign Maddon, the Rays will look into tampering.
Lol, this probably has been in the cards for months.

Mindlog

Wow. That sounds a little on the optimistic side of things and not very likely. However, Vinick owning the Rays would be a best case scenario for them. I have no idea how he would get St. Pete to agree to a move, but if anyone in the region could pull it off it's him.

Top Bottom