• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Its a small fire sale, but to me the fire sale will truly be on when Chapman is traded.

TAKE THAT BACK. You cannot say that..

Walt I will burn down your house
I won't

But that's just cause the feds might be watching.

santeesioux

Bob Dutton ‏@TNT_Mariners 1m1 minute ago
Hearing not. Those talks seem to have cooled. @antreas_x mariners close to viciedo?is that true?

zulux21

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1m1 minute ago
Source: White Sox in serious talks with Mariners on moving Viciedo. Targeting a reliever in return

itshappening.gif

I would take a fucking bullpen catcher to see this bum gone.
I really don't get the hate for Viciedo. He has shown good power and is still actually quite young (in fact he is 2 years younger than last year's rookie of the year Jose Abreu) yes he is a butcher in the outfield, but it's not impossible to think that with the right coaching he could increase his contact at the plate and become a good power hitter, and perhaps move him to some place like first base or DH to lower the effect of his bad defense.

Damn it. Nice utility player with room to grow.

btw. minor trade. White Sox acquire Dan Jennings from the Marlins for Andre Rienzo.
Sox bullpen now seems set.

this is only minor compared to the big splashes being made, the white sox managed to trade their like 20th starter for a pretty dominate left hander reliever, something the white sox sitll needed. Jennings helps the white sox quite a bit while Rienzo likely was never going to help the white sox (his future looks to be a stop gap 5th starter until teams can find a better pitcher)

Bob Dutton ‏@TNT_Mariners 1m1 minute ago
Hearing not. Those talks seem to have cooled. @antreas_x mariners close to viciedo?is that true?

Oh for fuck's sake.

giphy.gif

I really don't get the hate for Viciedo. He has shown good power and is still actually quite young (in fact he is 2 years younger than last year's rookie of the year Jose Abreu) yes he is a butcher in the outfield, but it's not impossible to think that with the right coaching he could increase his contact at the plate and become a good power hitter, and perhaps move him to some place like first base or DH to lower the effect of his bad defense.

It would help with his defense if he wasn't out of shape every year. He doesn't have a ton of bat speed and therefore has to cheat and he is allergic to walks. That can improve, sure but he hasn't shown any(or in regard to his walks little) improvement the last 4 years and hasn't lit up the minors either. He has a strong arm and tons of power when he gets something he can handle.
All I see in this guy is Willy Mo Pena.

I was very much against the thought of Viciedo a year ago, and that was before he completed the worst year of his career, posting a 88 wRC+ coupled with terrible defense, resulting in a -0.7 WAR. Viciedo's career WAR now sits at -0.1, and he hasn't been above replacement level since 2012. Viciedo has power, but it's hollow. His .174 ISO is coupled with a career .298 OBP.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2014/...interested-in-dayan-viciedo-again-why-no-stop

He hasn't been good in 2 years and he's only getting older and worse.

Jas

Looks like the Red Sox are going with Cherington's "we don't need aces" plan he brought up after they traded Lester this season.
Nuts.gif

Looks like the Red Sox are going with Cherington's "we don't need aces" plan he brought up after they traded Lester this season.
Nuts.gif

They're probably just waiting for the right opportunity to pop up instead of overpaying for one of the available free agents.

How has Casey Janssen not signed anywhere yet? He's dynamite.

Because he's old and he fell off a cliff after the ASB last season. Check out his splits -- he went on vacation, caught a bug, and then sucked.

Longer answer: his velocity has been falling for years now. He relies on pinpoint control to get people out, which is also starting to falter. Put those two things together, and it means he's basically throwing meatballs down the middle of the plate. He might be worth taking a flyer on, but anyone planning on building a bullpen around him would have to be nuts.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Dodgers fare this season. We lost power and a threat on the bases. It's a much different team now. Just have to wait and see how it will work out.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Dodgers fare this season. We lost power and a threat on the bases. It's a much different team now. Just have to wait and see how it will work out.

Can a guy who never gets on base really be considered a threat on the bases?

Like I said earlier the Dodgers improved defensively at 4 positions with yesterday's moves and the only potential offensive downgrade is Kemp to Pederson.

Crawford is the star now.

I'm pretty sure Kershaw, Puig and Adrian Gonzalez remain the most marketable players on the Dodgers.

Because he's old and he fell off a cliff after the ASB last season. Check out his splits -- he went on vacation, caught a bug, and then sucked.

Longer answer: his velocity has been falling for years now. He relies on pinpoint control to get people out, which is also starting to falter. Put those two things together, and it means he's basically throwing meatballs down the middle of the plate. He might be worth taking a flyer on, but anyone planning on building a bullpen around him would have to be nuts.

I really think his second half performance was due to the illness he came down with. He lost something like 10 pounds over the course of a week. His control looked pretty good up until that point. I'm not saying build a pen around him, I'm just saying that teams with a shaky bullpen (Dodgers and Tigers) should be taking a look at him.

If anything, the main thing to be worried about is him missing time with shoulder problems for 2 consecutive seasons.

Can a guy who never gets on base really be considered a threat on the bases?
No doubt he was streaky during the second half but he was a machine on the bases. It's something this team is going to miss. Sure, Rollins could fill that void but his good days are almost (and probably already are) behind him now.

I agree with the decision to trade him though. It might be his only productive year.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No doubt he was streaky during the second half but when he was a machine on the bases. It's something this team is going to miss. Sure, Rollins could fill that void but his good days are almost behind him now.

I agree with the decision to trade him though. It might be his only productive year.

After Rollins hits, you can just pinch-run Puig, problem solved!

zychi

Banned
Samardzija had an interesting interview where he said Lester was asking him about the Cubs at the All Star game before he had been traded.
I really think Smardj is coming back to the Cubs next season. I think growing up a fan and having the opportunity to be a part of history will be too much for him.

I really think Smardj is coming back to the Cubs next season. I think growing up a fan and having the opportunity to be a part of history will be too much for him.

Jeff grew up a White Sox fan and "Samardzija, 29, went to Valparaiso High School, which is just a short drive down the highway from the South Side of Chicago and Hahn pointed out that upon hearing the news of the trade, Samardzija told him it was "a dream come true." "
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ension-comes-to-fruition-with-jeff-samardzija

But I'm sure the dream will come true wherever he gets paid. Sentimental stuff like that means absolutely nothing.

No doubt he was streaky during the second half but he was a machine on the bases. It's something this team is going to miss. Sure, Rollins could fill that void but his good days are almost (and probably already are) behind him now.

He only had 2 good months last year, I'm not sure you can call it a productive year. I think you're too hung up on his stolen base totals.

Look at it this way:

Before
Gordon .285 wOBA, 1.1 WAR
Arruebarrena .248 wOBA, -0.4 WAR

After
Kendrick .316 wOBA, 2.4 WAR
Rollins .300 wOBA, 2.4 WAR

0.7 WAR to 4.8 WAR seems like a net gain to me!

The Dodgers are a much better team now than they were 2 days ago. I know Kemp and Gordon were likable but it was smart to sell (relatively) high on both. The biggest loss is probably Kemp's bat but having a better hitter at 2B and C (the Dodgers were god awful production wise from C last season) might help that out some.

I know Kemp is a big bat and a likable guy, but realistically he's had a good half a season in the last 3 years. You keep him and he has another slump or injury and his contract goes from "Hard to Trade" to "Impossible to Trade". I think the Dodgers had to act now and it was smart of them to do so even if in the short term it might hurt their offense a little.

Sanjuro

The Dodgers are a much better team now than they were 2 days ago. I know Kemp and Gordon were likable but it was smart to sell (relatively) high on both. The biggest loss is probably Kemp's bat but having a better hitter at 2B and C (the Dodgers were god awful production wise from C last season) might help that out some.

I know Kemp is a big bat and a likable guy, but realistically he's had a good half a season in the last 3 years. You keep him and he has another slump or injury and his contract goes from "Hard to Trade" to "Impossible to Trade". I think the Dodgers had to act now and it was smart of them to do so even if in the short term it might hurt their offense a little.

Kemp looked good the late portion of the season.

I don't think the Dodgers are any better of a team at all. they traded a productive player, when salary has not been an issue. Unless they are conceding...

I mean, Rollins is their best acquisition.

JDHarbs

Kendry Morales to the Royals
He just trade bait to bring Butler back at the deadline.

but in all seriousness, this deal just feels like Dayton panicked that they didn't make a big move yet. Guy is coming off of the worst season of his career, and we signed him for almost as much as we needed to bring Billy back. Its frustrating. Dayton was probably expecting he would work out something better, but then reality hit him.

Dang man. I'm basically happy to have Kendrys because I think he's better than his 2014 numbers, but damn, that's only a touch less than what Billy wanted. And it doesn't leave much room for a starter and a right fielder to replace Shields and Nori. Unless Gless kicks the payroll up way higher than we expect (he won't).
Took the words right out of my mouth. Beyond frustrated right now. Apparently we overpaid too. Maybe its not all bad though because we seem to have a knack for turning guys around after bad seasons.

I don't think the Dodgers are any better of a team at all. they traded a productive player, when salary has not been an issue. Unless they are conceding...

I thought the Dodgers wanted to clear their OF logjam to get Joc more playing time? They could've tried dumping Ethier or Crawford but at least they're getting something useful back by trading Kemp.

yeah I dunno

the only thing that looks better to me is the defense

I thought the end game for the kemp trade would have been for hamels but apparently it was for a 1 year stopgap at short

Sanjuro

The OF jam could be resolved during the season though. There is absolutely no priority in doing anything unless they get back a solid arm in the rotation. Awful deal for who potentially can be the best offensive player on the team.

zychi

Banned
Jeff grew up a White Sox fan and "Samardzija, 29, went to Valparaiso High School, which is just a short drive down the highway from the South Side of Chicago and Hahn pointed out that upon hearing the news of the trade, Samardzija told him it was "a dream come true." "
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ension-comes-to-fruition-with-jeff-samardzija

But I'm sure the dream will come true wherever he gets paid. Sentimental stuff like that means absolutely nothing.

- Jeff Samardzija prepared for his first start during a Cubs- White Sox game by taking a little dig at his cross-town rival on the eve of the series.

The former reliever, who claimed to be a fan of both Chicago baseball teams when he grew up in Northern Indiana, sounded Thursday as if he may have had an affinity for the White Sox when he was younger. But that didn’t stop him from taking a shot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/10175/love-hate-samardzija-takes-shot-at-sox

He only had 2 good months last year, I'm not sure you can call it a productive year. I think you're too hung up on his stolen base totals.

Look at it this way:

Before
Gordon .285 wOBA, 1.1 WAR
Arruebarrena .248 wOBA, -0.4 WAR

After
Kendrick .316 wOBA, 2.4 WAR
Rollins .300 wOBA, 2.4 WAR

0.7 WAR to 4.8 WAR seems like a net gain to me!
Well I can't beat sabermetrics.

The OF jam could be resolved during the season though. There is absolutely no priority in doing anything unless they get back a solid arm in the rotation. Awful deal for who potentially can be the best offensive player on the team.
You have potentially 29 teams to discuss a trade with during the offseason. Midseason, probably half of those teams aren't contending and have less reason to trade for Kemp. And you're less inclined to trade away a good bat to a contender in the same league if you're also in the hunt.

Sanjuro

You have potentially 29 teams to discuss a trade with during the offseason. Midseason, probably half of those teams aren't contending and have less reason to trade for Kemp. And you're less inclined to trade away a good bat to a contender in the same league if you're also in the hunt.

You can use that same statement during the season. He went to the Padres.

You can use that same statement during the season. He went to the Padres.
The Padres are very unlikely to contend for anything other than a high draft pick in 2015. They're crazy for trading for Kemp now. Would be even crazier for them to trade for him during the season when they'll be below .500.

It's great for the Dodgers that Kemp is going to a bad team instead of a team that might face the Dodgers in the playoffs.

Top Bottom