• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Lamb: THE TWINS FINALLY HAVE PITCHING!
First, I'm a Dodgers fan not sure why I'd care about what some shitty team in fly over country would do. But Santana is being overpaid and is like a 4th starter on most teams but he's a MASSSSSSSSIVE improvement over most of the Twins starters.

Hughes
Meyer
Berrios
Gibson
Santana

Could be a half-ways decent rotation in 2016. Fire Big Pelf into the sun.

All I know is anytime I saw Kemp batting against the Giants he was hitting like 3 doubles or some ridiculous shit.

He was probably also badly playing balls in the outfield because he runs like a 70 year old these days.

I do wonder if the Padres are banking on Kemp having a solid first half and then flipping him to an AL team. Kemp as a DH for 5/$70 million isn't the worst thing in the world. If he comes out and pulls something in the first couple of months of the season though they are fucked. It's crystal clear why Friedman sent him packing.

Malo

Banned
MLB: ARod Strikes Back
806438685.gif

comparison.png

Player A is Sandoval
Player B is Luis Valbuena

Cubs need to trade him for a starter when his stock is high. He has been really good at 3rd.
Maybe a trade to the Pads for Ian Kennedy.

Enron

Banned
Phillies pretty much missed their chance to trade Hamels. Maybe the Rangers get involved now.

I doubt this very much. Hamels even at a 'reduced' price would still cost the rangers at least one of alfaro/mazara along with one of the more advanced SP prospects and I don't think that's a price JD is willing to pay.

Mdot

I was told this is where the cool kids hang out.

To contribute something substantial for my first MLB-Gaf post, I'd like to declare myself as a spoiled but reasonable Yankee fan (I'm 32) who is realistic with expectations and would prefer a shift to development rather than investing in bloated contracts.

That said, these last two seasons of playoff-free ball have sucked. I like the moves to the bullpen and not reaching on Robertson's huge contract. Hoping a starter can be picked up but Sherzer for $200+ million and 5 or 6 years at 30 yo already would be falling into that same rut.

I'm jealous of the Porcello move by the Sox, which boils my blood beyond explanation.

BFIB

To contribute something substantial for my first MLB-Gaf post, I'd like to declare myself as a spoiled but reasonable Yankee fan (I'm 32) who is realistic with expectations and would prefer a shift to development rather than investing in bloated contracts.

That said, these last two seasons of playoff-free ball have sucked. I like the moves to the bullpen and not reaching on Robertson's huge contract. Hoping a starter can be picked up but Sherzer for $200+ million and 5 or 6 years at 30 yo already would be falling into that same rut.

I'm jealous of the Porcello move by the Sox, which boils my blood beyond explanation.

TL;DR. Lets get to the real discussion. Ketchup or Mustard?

Welcome, on behalf of the MLB-GAF Yankees Council!
Honestly, picking up Scherzer wouldn't be horrible IMHO (provided it wasn't for something higher than $170M). A-Rod, Teix and CC's contracts are all off the books, so even if Scherzer is just like CC and the contract sucks after 3/4 years of him being very good to great, we can just sit on the rest of it without it totally hamstringing the team. With so many uncertain pieces in the rotation - Tanaka's UCL, Nova post-TJS, Pineda's endless injuries, CC's knee/weight/diminished velocity, all the youngbloods coming up - having a legit ace up top would be great even if it's not going to make us a WS contender.

Kemp looked good the late portion of the season.

I don't think the Dodgers are any better of a team at all. they traded a productive player, when salary has not been an issue. Unless they are conceding...

I mean, Rollins is their best acquisition.

The OF jam could be resolved during the season though. There is absolutely no priority in doing anything unless they get back a solid arm in the rotation. Awful deal for who potentially can be the best offensive player on the team.

I know you're trying to bait me Sanjuro!

Mdot

Thanks guys.

Mustard on the dogs

Welcome, on behalf of the MLB-GAF Yankees Council!
Honestly, picking up Scherzer wouldn't be horrible IMHO (provided it wasn't for something higher than $170M). A-Rod, Teix and CC's contracts are all off the books, so even if Scherzer is just like CC and the contract sucks after 3/4 years of him being very good to great, we can just sit on the rest of it without it totally hamstringing the team. With so many uncertain pieces in the rotation - Tanaka's UCL, Nova post-TJS, Pineda's endless injuries, CC's knee/weight/diminished velocity, all the youngbloods coming up - having a legit ace up top would be great even if it's not going to make us a WS contender.

True. I'm cautiously optimistic about Tanaka and Pineda holding up. Nova, who knows. CC is the biggest question mark, imo. Those 4 on paper, healthy, is a great rotation alone. Adding another top tier guy would be excellent, but I can see this season degrading quickly if any of them get hurt again (or when Nova actually comes back).

Our biggest issue last year was obviously hitting; timely hitting more specifically. I can't see our lineup being as bad as last season, but we'll have to wait and see.

BFIB

You know, even though the "baseball sucks" thread is ridiculous, it shows at 4 pages that topics in the normal OT get a lot more attention.

It'd be great if we somehow ever got another shot at the OT, instead of being banished to the off topic discussion so new gaffers can find a dedicated baseball thread.

Mdot

You know, even though the "baseball sucks" thread is ridiculous, it shows at 4 pages that topics in the normal OT get a lot more attention.

It'd be great if we somehow ever got another shot at the OT, instead of being banished to the off topic discussion so new gaffers can find a dedicated baseball thread.

I gave up posting in that thread. Imbeciles. But I did find this as a result.

BFIB

I gave up posting in that thread. Imbeciles. But I did find this as a result.

The good news is that baseball at least made it into the OT.

The bad news is that MLB-GAF gained another member of the Council. Of course when A-Rod is ready to come back. Giants beating the Cards, A-Rod returning. The Cardinals signing Mark fucking Reynolds. Everything is terrible!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Eh, every few months we get a "Baseball is dead/dying/sucks/awful" thread in OT. Every few months we rush in and defend it's honor and every few months we get a few new recruits to MLBgaf out of the process.

BFIB

Eh, every few months we get a "Baseball is dead/dying/sucks/awful" thread in OT. Every few months we rush in and defend it's honor and every few months we get a few new recruits to MLBgaf out of the process.

Not nearly enough! But it is fun to hop in those threads in the OT to see how dumb those who jump on the "baseball is boring" discussion can be. Their reasoning is hilarious.

Same with anything wrestling. Those threads are always a blast in the OT.

theapg

The Phillies are depressing. I wanted a jersey for Christmas but there are no players I feel will be on the team in 3 years that are good enough to warrant a jersey. Maybe Nola when he gets called up? But I'm not trying to buy a jersey that will only be relevant for two years, so I think I'm gonna hold off.

BFIB

The Phillies are depressing. I wanted a jersey for Christmas but there are no players I feel will be on the team in 3 years that are good enough to warrant a jersey. Maybe Nola when he gets called up? But I'm not trying to buy a jersey that will only be relevant for two years, so I think I'm gonna hold off.

Buy an Amaro jersey. He's never going anywhere.

Parch

That Boston rotation is completely different.
There's been a lot of movement all over MLB and more to come. It'll be spring training before all the decks have been sufficiently shuffled and we can figure out which teams are legit.

Top Bottom