• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Considering what RH power is going for these days, Matt Kemp for basically 5 years/$70 million is a steal. Not sure what he will do for the Pads though.

Teams must have been terrified of both his health and his defense - neither of which are good now and will only get worse as he gets older because yeah the Dodgers having to throw in 30 million to get rid of him is pretty crazy.

Dodgers are way better on paper now than they were at the end of last season but they're going to have to find some offense at some point. Guess its not a Friedman team unless you're wondering where the runs are going to come from.

Teams must have been terrified of both his health and his defense - neither of which are good now and will only get worse as he gets older because yeah the Dodgers having to throw in 30 million to get rid of him is pretty crazy.

Dodgers are way better on paper now than they were at the end of last season but they're going to have to find some offense at some point. Guess its not a Friedman team unless you're wondering where the runs are going to come from.

the downside is really he's had one good half a season (last 2nd half) in the last 3 years. He was dominant, but yeah health and consistency is a big issue. He's also a butcher defensively. A lot of his offensive value is negated by his terrible defense. Not surprised that the Dodgers sold high on him because who knows where he'll be a year from now. Another injury and he becomes another borderline completely untradable contract like Ethier. Sorta surprised an AL team like Texas or Detroit didn't jump on him if the Dodgers were eating that much of his salary though. As a DH, at least part time, I think he is a lot more valuable especially at 5/$70 million.

Dodgers should really think about going after Chase Headley now though.

turnbuckle

Porcello traded for Cespedes

- edit -

May not be true. This is what I get for F5ing a Tigers forum lol

Don't want this to happen unless the Tigers are also signing Scherzer.

- edit 2 -

Jon Morosi reporting on it now and saying Detroit is also getting a minor league pitcher from Boston. Also saying Detroit has another trade pending today.

Hmm...

A rotation of:
Price
Sanchez
Verlander
???
Green

along with our bullpen? Not sounding too hot. Boy it sure would be nice to still have Doug Fister :/

turnbuckle

Jason Beck has confirmed the deal.

It'll be exciting to actually have an outfielder for once

Finally got the guy we were hoping we'd get when Illitch decided to get Prince Fielder instead.

Too bad he's been on the decline...but if JD Martinez can be anything like he was last year and Davis/Gose work as a good platoon in CF I think our outfield is in good shape. Plus this would give Moya more time to develop for 2016 (assuming we're not re-signing Cespedes).

But...without an arm to replace the loss of Scherzer and Green being a downgrade from the loss of Porcello I have no idea what we're gonna do about pitching.

And perhaps this is sort of a temporary solution to the potential loss of Cabrera for a few months to start the season. Maybe Moya/Cespedes will share time in the OF and DH while Martinez plays 1B.

It's not even winter yet; I'm just throwing shit at the wall. Who knows what the roster or lineup or rotation will look like come opening day. Just nervous about our pitching. Really nervous.

turnbuckle

Cespedes has to be the most overrated player in Baseball. The narrative that he was the reason the A's collapsed is simply dumb.

That's a dumb narrative but I can think of a few players more overrated than Cespedes.

Like Justin Upton. A better player than Cespedes, but not as big a difference as some would have you believe.

Not happy about this though. Porcello's turned into a very good pitcher and getting better. Luckily it's only a year of Cespedes, because he seems like he's aging pretty fast.

Trader Dave hard at work today.

I really hate losing Porcello. Cepedes is a rental/stopgap definitely not a long term solution. Boston has to be adding because the Tigers turned down a straight up deal last week.

Hopefully Dave can flip some magic beans to Cinci for Cueto. Maybe sweet talk them into throwing Chapman in too.

A lot hinges on DD's other deal today, but it's hard to say the Tigers haven't rounded the team out with this move. And we can platoon Rajai/Gose now.

Great deal for Boston, though. Porcello with Pedroia and Sandoval scooping up his ground balls promises to be great for them.

turnbuckle

Trader Dave hard at work today.

I really hate losing Porcello. Cepedes is a rental/stopgap definitely not a long term solution. Boston has to be adding because the Tigers turned down a straight up deal last week.

Hopefully Dave can flip some magic beans to Cinci for Cueto. Maybe sweet talk them into throwing Chapman in too.

No way we're getting Chapman. Maybe something can be worked out for Latos but I don't know what.

We need Scherzer back now. Time to pay stupid money and just deal with the future collapse a couple years from now. Re-signing Martinez, trading for Cespedes, Verlander a question mark, and Cabrera's injuries...this team has the potential of being sub-Phillies trash in a couple of years. Might as well go all in now and then bandwagon later.

We need Scherzer back now. Time to pay stupid money and just deal with the future collapse a couple years from now. Re-signing Martinez, trading for Cespedes, Verlander a question mark, and Cabrera's injuries...this team has the potential of being sub-Phillies trash in a couple of years. Might as well go all in now and then bandwagon later.
The Tigers can avoid becoming the Phillies... if they don't re-sign Scherzer. Which they won't, if DD has any sense.

Price/Verlander/Sanchez/Cueto or Latos/Greene is great.

Even Price/Verlander/Sanchez/Greene/Lobstein is fine.

The Tigers should not let Boras take them for all they have.

BFIB

Tigers got enough to get Cueto?

Its going to take a hell of a package. Or they get a 3rd team involved.

Kind of crazy that the Reds are blowing it up. I know they're losing a lot in the rotation to FA after this year, but why not just go all in for one year, toss out the QO to the FA and get a lot of top picks back then?

turnbuckle

The Tigers can avoid becoming the Phillies... if they don't re-sign Scherzer. Which they won't, if DD has any sense.

Price/Verlander/Sanchez/Cueto or Latos/Greene is great.

Even Price/Verlander/Sanchez/Greene/Lobstein is fine.

The Tigers should not let Boras take them for all they have.

The team is already full of sunk costs in the long term. Might as well concede that and focus on the short term. Unless you think the nearly $80-90M we're going to be paying just for Verlander, Cabrera, Martinez, and Fielder in 2016+ won't be an anchor around the future of the team.

David Price is likely to get a bigger contract next year than what Scherzer will get in this one. Sanchez is a free agent the year after that. This team is set up for being an expensive mess in a couple of years. Might as well go all in now; doubtful any future owner is likely to spend as freely as Illitch.

With their TV deal set to expire in a few years it's probably a good idea to spend what they can to keep fans interested in the short term. A collapse in the standings would lead to a collapse in attendance and ratings and asking price for a new deal.

I don't like the idea of giving another arm big dollars for an extended period of time; but it's clear the Tigers are trying to win now. If you're trying to win now then you make long term sacrifices. I would have been ok with the Tigers selling off and building for their future too, but with their trades and signings it's obvious they're not going that direction. And there's no point in trying to be the Blue Jays or Brewers or Diamondbacks of baseball, where you spend enough to barely tease contention and rarely are bad enough to stack your farm system to give hope for the future.

I'm kinda surprised with all the deals going down today, usually Thursday is just getaway day with the Rule V draft being the only "highlight"

aFIGurANT

Porcello = Cespedes + Wilson + Speier
Cespedes = Lester + Gomes

Therefore,

Porcello = Lester + Gomes + Wilson + Speier

Red Sox math! They only got like three months of Cespedes, too.

They only would have had three months left on Lester too though. So really they come out OK even if they did the thing in a circuitous way.

The one trade where that does make more sense is Russell for Shark. Three months of Shark/Hammel = Russell. Semien and prospects takes Shark back so you basically subtracted Russell for the White Sox package. Then Hammel dips out, etc. There's the more damning move if we're comparing the two.

They just got better offensively and defensively at short and second. They got better defensively in the outfield just by dumping Kemp. And they added McCarthy who also helps in preventing runs as well.

The Dodgers massively improved at 4 spots in a day. That's insane.

According to Nightengale(who has pretty good sources in the org) the White Sox may be interested in Ichiro. Ugh, way to put a damper on an exciting offseason...

Who doesn't want a mid .600 OPS guy in his fourties?

aFIGurANT

My firesale.gif is ready, Cinci. Let's make sure we've replaced the Cubbies with you as a contender in the Central by the end of March, yeah?

turnbuckle

No idea who we gave up, but Simon is a definite downgrade from Porcello.

Ughh...Verlander better return to form, Sanchez better stay healthy, and David Price just needs to be David Price.

Congrats to wild card contention, Detroit.

No idea who we gave up, but Simon is a definite downgrade from Porcello.

Ughh...Verlander better return to form, Sanchez better stay healthy, and David Price just needs to be David Price.

Congrats to wild card contention, Detroit.

I still consider you the favorites by a good bit with the Sox,Indians and to a lesser extent the Royals being a coinflip for 2nd place.

btw. Let's hope against all odds that the Show 15 has better online, can't wait to see Cespedes flail away against sliders in the dirt ;)

edit: Suarez and Jonathon Crawford are in the deal. So the Tigers didn't give up much.

Its going to take a hell of a package. Or they get a 3rd team involved.

Kind of crazy that the Reds are blowing it up. I know they're losing a lot in the rotation to FA after this year, but why not just go all in for one year, toss out the QO to the FA and get a lot of top picks back then?
Probably want to sell high on the arms and get a headstart on the rebuild. It'd take a lot of breaks for them to contend this year if the Cubs are for real. That Votto contract must really be hamstringing their budget.

Watching the Reds FO is always fascinating, if only because of the Jocketty connection. Makes me think if Walt were running the show, whether the Cards would've made a bigger push to retain Pujols.

Top Bottom