• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

turnbuckle

edit: Suarez and Jonathon Crawford are in the deal. So the Tigers didn't give up much.

Suarez is likely to be more valuable himself next year than Simon.
Crawford was a pretty nice prospect for Detroit.

Both of them cheaper than Simon.

Neither of them murderers or accused rapists like Simon.

Fuck.

Sanjuro

I really like the Miley acquisition. I feel like De Rosa still had time to get things together. Like his arm, but I understand why they felt like they needed to get someone more consistent for this year.

Not sure I really like the Porcello one.

Suarez is likely to be more valuable himself next year than Simon.
Crawford was a pretty nice prospect for Detroit.

Both of them cheaper than Simon.

Neither of them murderers or accused rapists like Simon.

Fuck.

Suarez is utility talent IMO. And I didn't like Crawford in the draft, #3-4 ceiling.

But I forgot about that Simon story, that was when he was with the Orioles, right?
Yeah I can understand that basically having to root for a guy like this is pretty tough.

Malo

Banned
I really like the Miley acquisition. I feel like De Rosa still had time to get things together. Like his arm, but I understand why they felt like they needed to get someone more consistent for this year.

Not sure I really like the Porcello one.
Heh.

I actually feel the opposite. I don't like Miley in the AL, but I really like the Porcello acquisition. The Sox' superior defense is going to help him out a good bit.

turnbuckle

Suarez is utility talent IMO. And I didn't like Crawford in the draft, #3-4 ceiling.

But I forgot about that Simon story, that was when he was with the Orioles, right?
Yeah I can understand that basically having to root for a guy like this is pretty tough.

Utility talent that was good insurance if Iglesias isn't healthy and could play third if Castellanos conintues to be a butcher there.

I'd rather Crawford as our #5; Green as our #4 and use the money we're giving Simon towards an offer for Scherzer or Price.

And I really liked Porcello. Always liked him and hoped he would develop. Never heard a bad thing about him, never injured, never complained, and turned into a quality #3-4.

Syrinx

Meanwhile, at the Mets...

Homer-twiddle-thumb.gif

jakncoke

Banned
I see we got some left handed relief help for essentially a prospect that was roadblocked at AA. Wonder how Burnett will do this year. And not a bad deal for Liriano

BFIB

"The Red Sox have an agreement with Justin Masterson." - @Buster_ESPN

Looks like we got our ace.

Keep in mind he was hurt last year, pretty much all season. Never really got a chance to heal fully, and then was traded to the Cards where he sat in limbo.

When he's healthy, he's an innings eater and can dominate. Not a bad deal for the Red Sox, if he's healthy.

Malo

Banned
Looks like the rule 5 draft is done. I had completely forgot about it due to all the deals that have taken place today.

Diamondbacks select Oscar Hernandez from the Rays.
Rangers select Delino DeShields Jr. from the Astros.
Twins select J.R. Graham from the Braves.
Red Sox select Jandel Gustave from Astros.

Looks like the rule 5 draft is done. I had completely forgot about it due to all the deals that have taken place today.

Rangers select Delino DeShields Jr. from the Astros.

Damn it. Nice utility player with room to grow.

btw. minor trade. White Sox acquire Dan Jennings from the Marlins for Andre Rienzo.
Sox bullpen now seems set.

Dang man. I'm basically happy to have Kendrys because I think he's better than his 2014 numbers, but damn, that's only a touch less than what Billy wanted. And it doesn't leave much room for a starter and a right fielder to replace Shields and Nori. Unless Gless kicks the payroll up way higher than we expect (he won't).

BFIB

Dang man. I'm basically happy to have Kendrys because I think he's better than his 2014 numbers, but damn, that's only a touch less than what Billy wanted. And it doesn't leave much room for a starter and a right fielder to replace Shields and Nori. Unless Gless kicks the payroll up way higher than we expect (he won't).

Could have been worse. Could have been Mark Reynolds.

You need a right fielder? We have Dayan Viciedo and I would reluctantly accept Rex Hudler straight up.

Seriously though, history has shown that fat guys in their 30's see their production fall off a cliff on a regular basis. I wouldn't be surprised if this deal turns out to be an albatross for a small payroll team like KC.

aFIGurANT

Could have been worse. Could have been Mark Reynolds.

I feel like Mo's strategy is to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks for bench guys. First Wiggington now this. Eventually one of these guys will turn into something reliable but for now...*Viggo Mortenson voice* "TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY."

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago
The #Tigers no longer are pursuing Max Scherzer, GM David Dombrowski reveals.

I mean Boras has pulled off moves by getting owners directly involved. But a rotation of:
Price
Sanchez
Verlander(if he continues his decline)
Simon
Greene

doesn't scare anybody. I still consider them the favorites for the AL Central. But they have to sign Price long term now. Their window is closing fast.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1m1 minute ago
Source: White Sox in serious talks with Mariners on moving Viciedo. Targeting a reliever in return

itshappening.gif

I would take a fucking bullpen catcher to see this bum gone.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Can't blame him since it means the Reds are blowing the team up.

Blowing the team up? By trading Latos and Simon? Ok..

Edit: Blowing the team up would be finding takers for Votto and Bruce. And my finger is on the detonator.

I feel like Mo's strategy is to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks for bench guys. First Wiggington now this. Eventually one of these guys will turn into something reliable but for now...*Viggo Mortenson voice* "TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY."
My first thought: here's Mo's annual bench bat signing that will be a total waste of team resources financially and playing time-wise

But we do need a power bat from the right side on the bench.

Top Bottom