• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Man, the defensive stats hated Bogaerts last year. Wonder if he'll even be able to stick at short much longer.

Jas

Man, the defensive stats hated Bogaerts last year. Wonder if he'll even be able to stick at short much longer.

He's going to get plenty of practice this year with the pitchers they just brought in.
If he stinks again at least the Red Sox have tremendous payroll flexibility so they can go out there and sign Stephen Drew.

Harper didn't show up because it seems some shit is going down with him and the Nats.

The MLBPA is filing a grievance on his behalf against the Nationals.

Back in 2010, Scott Boras wanted Harper's contract shaped in a way that would allow Harper to opt-out and go into arbitration if he became eligible before the contract ended. Harper qualified as a Super Two after 2014 and is now eligible for arbitration.

Boras and GM Mike Rizzo agreed on the deal, but when the contract was delivered, the clause was not in it. Boras and Harper refused to sign it without the clause. The MLBPA came up with a "letter of agreement" that said if Harper became arbitration eligible before his 5-year, $9.9 million contract expired, a grievance would be filed to determine whether or not he could opt out of the deal.

The Nationals are now not letting Harper opt-out. Because of the ongoing stuff, Harper is pissed at the Nats and no-showed the fan event.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2014...-have-grievance-hearing-scheduled-for-tuesday

zulux21

Uhhh the White Sox just signed Melky.

I'm guessing it's 3 years 40 mil with a vesting 4th year (since it's already been confirmed as three years)

either way this fills the last real hole on the white sox. The only real move left to make is to trade John Danks for a right handed equivalent.

edit: it's being reported as 3 years 45 mil.

aFIGurANT

I'm really hoping this latest spurn gets Jack Z to panic and make a regrettable trade for Upton.

If that's what it takes to keep up with the Fish.

On that note it's kind of surreal seeing how much better so many teams are (hypothetically) getting. Makes you wonder about how much of a zero-sum game the regular season is really. Right now it seems like everyone but the Dbacks, Phillies, Rockies and sorta ATL are committing a decent amount of cash for '15.

zulux21

If that's what it takes to keep up with the Fish.

On that note it's kind of surreal seeing how much better so many teams are (hypothetically) getting. Makes you wonder about how much of a zero-sum game the regular season is really. Right now it seems like everyone but the Dbacks, Phillies, Rockies and sorta ATL are committing a decent amount of cash for '15.

I don't know about the other teams, but the white sox had about 50 mil come off the payroll thus why they are spending so much. It was expected from the start, though at this point I think they have spent enough that their payroll will actually be higher next season than last.... they also look a lot better... but to be fair any line up looks a lot better then a line up with Adam Dunn in it :p

aFIGurANT

I don't know about the other teams, but the white sox had about 50 mil come off the payroll thus why they are spending so much. It was expected from the start, though at this point I think they have spent enough that their payroll will actually be higher next season than last.... they also look a lot better... but to be fair any line up looks a lot better then a line up with Adam Dunn in it :p

This is kinda it for you guys though. Once Shark is gone that rotation is short-staffed again. To be positive it's looking something like what the Indians were able to achieve over the past couple years - WC relevance all year. Which is maybe just what the south side needs to get people back in the park.

Blearth

Banned
I love how nobody gave a fuck about the White Sox championship drought ending in 2005.

They've gotta be the least significant of the original 16 teams.

This is kinda it for you guys though. Once Shark is gone that rotation is short-staffed again. To be positive it's looking something like what the Indians were able to achieve over the past couple years - WC relevance all year. Which is maybe just what the south side needs to get people back in the park.

First of all, I think they'll extend him. But in the worst case he'll get replaced by Rodon next year. Developing pitching has always been a strength of the White Sox system, so I'm not really worried about that.

I thought the Sox wanted to improve on their defense? Isn't Melky a dumpster fire in the OF?

He's way better than Viciedo, so by definition they have improved ;)

Yeah defense is a major weakness of this team. the Sox haven't had a good defensive team for the better part of a decade.
But at least they should be able to hit this year.

I think the Sox need another starter as well. I'm not too crazy about Noesi and Danks as the 4-5.

Well they owe Danks a lot of money, they kind of have to hope that he can recover fully from his shoulder surgery.

And Noesi is fine as a 5th guy, when he came here and was stretched out properly, he was adequate.

I still agree with you, I hope they sign one of those reclamation projects like Morrow,Beachy or Medlen.

But rumor is that Danks will be dealt(who is THAT desperate ffs) and who knows what happens. Rodon breaking camp with the big club? I have no idea, but I trust in Rick Hahn.

Cubs early schedule is really easy next year. Home against Cards, at Rockies, home against Reds, Home against Padres. We need to take advantage of a quick start. Besides the Cards series those are all pretty winnable.

We still need 1 more starter, and a big bat would be a luxury item, but I forgot how well Coghlan played. His OPS was only 4 points down from Melky's(in 15 less games but still pretty good.)

I think we should try to get Span from the Nats truthfully. If not just let Alcantara do his thing. I think Brett Anderson would be a nice pickup.

Chuck

Still without luck
Report: Orioles leading contender to host 2016 All-Star Game

AU7Amsc.gif

Top Bottom