• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

I'm interested in your opinion MLB GAF.

Because the Sox signed Melky a lot of fans say it's gonna be hard to root for the team because he was caught using steroids.
I was one of those guys, but have changed my stance considerably over the last couple of years. Yeah, cheating is a shitty thing to do, but you hear absolutely disgusting stuff particularly in the NFL(domestic violence, shootings and what not).

So my question is, if your team signed a known steroid user, would you find it harder to root for the team?

btw. Haven't changed my stance on the Hall of Fame though, if you're caught you should have to buy a ticket to get in.

Syrinx

Because the Sox signed Melky a lot of fans say it's gonna be hard to root for the team because he was caught using steroids.
I was one of those guys, but have changed my stance considerably over the last couple of years. Yeah, cheating is a shitty thing to do, but you hear absolutely disgusting stuff particularly in the NFL(domestic violence, shootings and what not).

So my question is, if your team signed a known steroid user, would you find it harder to root for the team?

btw. Haven't changed my stance on the Hall of Fame though, if you're caught you should have to buy a ticket to get in.
No.

And I also disagree with your HoF statement. Nobody, steroids or not, has done what guys like Sosa and Bonds did on steroids, and never will again. That counts for something.

Every team has had a player who did or still does juice. Getting all caught up in it would be a waste of time and emotion. You might as well just stop watching sports altogether if you are that morally against it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'd have a much harder time rooting for the Josh Lueke's and Alfredo Simon's and Luke Scott's of the world.

BFIB

I was not a fan of the Cards giving Peralta his deal last year. But, it's not my money to spend, and it's clear that the players and the owners don't have reservations about it.

theapg

I wouldn't have a hard time rooting for the team, but the player I would. Like if the Phillies had signed Nelson Cruz I'd be happy for the team but would never defend Cruz or really praise him.

aFIGurANT

Roids are the only underbelly to this sport, besides like Pete Rose and shit like that. So to me it's fairly minor in terms of being a negative on the whole sport or even just a team. If I had to take a real stance though I'd go with Matt Holliday's: ban the guy with a failed test for 162 games, no matter what. That way we'd have less of the shitty "will-he-make-it-back for October?" type of questions when guys test positive in September. That would seem to be the right route to take now just so there's no ambiguity about where a player stands in terms of past offenses.

The witch-hunting of guys like Arod has to stop no matter what though. I hate a law that is not applied equally to all players.

Jon Lester's $30 million signing bonus is a new record bonus. The previous record was Vernon Wells getting a $25.5 million signing bonus for his 7-year, $126 million deal signed back in 2008.

Roids are the only underbelly to this sport, besides like Pete Rose and shit like that. So to me it's fairly minor in terms of being a negative on the whole sport or even just a team. If I had to take a real stance though I'd go with Matt Holliday's: ban the guy with a failed test for 162 games, no matter what. That way we'd have less of the shitty "will-he-make-it-back for October?" type of questions when guys test positive in September. That would seem to be the right route to take now just so there's no ambiguity about where a player stands in terms of past offenses.

The witch-hunting of guys like Arod has to stop no matter what though. I hate a law that is not applied equally to all players.

I'm with you there when it comes to punishment. First offense 1 year ban, 2nd offense you're done in MLB.
But I'm not automatically assuming that you're a terrible person just because you took steroids. That honor is reserved for scumbags like Brett Myers, curiously enough very few people brought that up when he was acquired by the Sox, but they're all over Manny or Melky.
What Braun did to the guy who took his samples was despicable though, fuck that guy

Sanjuro

I have zero issue with steroids. It's a part of the game, generated some supermarket isle outrage from people who largely don't give a shit.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
And let's be honest, baseball was more fun during that era. Not that I want the athletes taking any additional risks to their health by using harmful drugs, but dingers man. Dingers.

Sanjuro

I'm all about talking dingers with sports fans. Far better than getting into details about pimples on asses from steroid injections.

The point is often moot though anyway. For instance when Tony Gwynn died, everyone in the media kept saying how he was one of the last greats to play the right way. Sounds like they were covering his checkered past to me!

zulux21

while I am not happy Melky is a cheater... I am not finding it any harder to root for a team that has a good chance at contending compared to last years team who wasn't likely to finish over .500.

I bought mlb.tv for the first month just because I missed watching baseball and wanted to see Sale pitch opening day last year... this coming season I will be getting it because I think it will be a fun team to watch.... plus if the white sox don't do well in april the season will be well on it's way to being over since they play almost all of their games against the AL central in april.

Royals, then twins, then Indians, then tigers, then royals again, and then finally Baltimore, and then the twins again (and then the tigers in may)

in general you have to beat your own division to win it.... so if they can't do well in those first 5 weeks it's likely that the season will be a disappointment.

Still hoping the white sox manage to trade Danks for someone though... as Sale + quintana +shark + someone that isn't danks + rodon getting a shot looks like a pretty decent starting pitching on paper.

his OBP was .600 when he was 39 fucking years old. You can pump all the steroids you want into any other player and they ain't doing that.

yup. just because he was a cheater, doesn't make him a bad player. without cheating he likely still would have been really good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He was a guaranteed HoF when he was built like a swimmer.

The HoF is full of cheaters doing whatever they can to get an edge. Baseball writers are hypocrites.

yup. just because he was a cheater, doesn't make him a bad player. without cheating he likely still would have been really good.

Everybody was cheating when he was playing. Can you count how many of them had OPS over 1.000 in their late 30s like he did 3 times?

If PEDs helps people do what Barry did then that's all the more reason to allow them. It was a fucking pleasure to watch him play.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Barry's sister is even a freak of nature
NxShUvx.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Everybody was cheating when he was playing. Can you count how many of them had OPS over 1.000 in their late 30s like he did 3 times?

If PEDs helps people do what Barry did then that's all the more reason to allow them. It was a fucking pleasure to watch him play.

More importantly. The pitchers were obviously juicing as well.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/extending-ryan-howard-is-not-what-killed-the-phillies/

The Phillies’ total career WAR among all drafted players from 2004 through 2014 is only 27.8 compared to a league average of 100.0. This is not just league-worst, it is less than half of the second-worst Blue Jays at 60.5. The following chart shows the total WAR by drafted players for each organization, ranging from the Phillies up to the Red Sox at 169.1.

Amazingly, the Phillies were the best in the league from 1996 to 2003.
wow :lol

Sanjuro

Who said anything about Sandoval? I'm just continuing the trend of overreacting when a team spends money in a sport without a salary cap.

You guys are paying Chase Headley over $10m a season. How will the Yankees have any money left for other signings!? What were they thinking??

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but when have the Yankees ever cared about money? It's not the smartest attitude, and albeit a dumb defense by fans like myself, but this isn't a cash strapped organization like the Royals.

BFIB

Pretty good left side for the Yanks. Gregorious and Headley, Prado at 2B, and the remnants of Tex at 1B.

see5harp

I was hoping the Giants would pay him. I'd gladly pay Headley $10 million for the next 4 years. Billy fucking Butler got paid $10 million.

I really like that signing, actually.

Headley can play 3B so that A-Rod can mostly DH. He can back up Teix at 1B too. He's a switch hitter with similar (and arguably superior, but without the postseason track record) production/defense to Sandoval, but for essentially half the cost. And given he supposedly had 60+ M offers for his services, to get him back for 51/52M is pretty damn good.

Now, the Yankees need to find 1 or 2 SP, and sign Yoan Moncada at ANY COST.

Malo

Banned
I really like that signing, actually.

Headley can play 3B so that A-Rod can mostly DH. He can back up Teix at 1B too. He's a switch hitter with similar (and arguably superior, but without the postseason track record) production/defense to Sandoval, but for essentially half the cost. And given he supposedly had 60+ M offers for his services, to get him back for 51/52M is pretty damn good.

Now, the Yankees need to find 1 or 2 SP, and sign Yoan Moncada at ANY COST.
Hopefully they can get Kuorda back if he doesn't retire, and agreed about Moancada. If they can pull that off, I'd be content with this off-season.

Top Bottom