• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

That's a great deal for the Yankees. That's nearly half the money Panda got and they are very similar players in terms of production. I have to imagine he liked being in NY and took less money to stay because at that price a few other teams (Giants, Dodgers) should have been all over him.

thefro

Yankees bought almost all of the top IFA players over the last 2 years...so probably their farm is going to be much better than expected very, very soon.

Just this past year... the Cubs/Rangers did the year before.

The way it's set up with the penalties involved you can only do that every other year.

Sanjuro

Yankees bought almost all of the top IFA players over the last 2 years...so probably their farm is going to be much better than expected very, very soon.

You still have Cashman as your GM, so I'm not sure that would be that confident.

Might not be all his fault either way. It's just tough to visualize.

And let's be honest, baseball was more fun during that era. Not that I want the athletes taking any additional risks to their health by using harmful drugs, but dingers man. Dingers.

That's the only aspect of juicing that bothers me a little -- that there's a chance players are doing real harm to their long-term health, and that they're sacrificing years off their lives to get a tiny bit of an edge.

But as far as the "sanctity" of the records goes? Meh. There's never been a pure time in baseball history before, so I don't see why we should pretend there was.

BFIB

Woah, just saw that Puig is on a 7yr/$42mil contract. Is that the best long term bargain in baseball?

I'll always think that was Pujols w/ the Cards from '01-'11. For what the Cards paid (around $110 mil), they got the best bargain with the production they received.

The Nationals and Bryce Harper have agreed on a 2-year, $7.5 million deal, avoiding a grievance hearing on Tuesday. It erases the final year of his original 5-year, $9.9 million deal. He will make $2.5 million in 2015 and $5 million in 2016. He is eligible for two years of arbitration in 2017 and 2018 before becoming a free agent.

I'm interested in your opinion MLB GAF.

Because the Sox signed Melky a lot of fans say it's gonna be hard to root for the team because he was caught using steroids.
I was one of those guys, but have changed my stance considerably over the last couple of years. Yeah, cheating is a shitty thing to do, but you hear absolutely disgusting stuff particularly in the NFL(domestic violence, shootings and what not).

So my question is, if your team signed a known steroid user, would you find it harder to root for the team?

btw. Haven't changed my stance on the Hall of Fame though, if you're caught you should have to buy a ticket to get in.

bring back steroids. I'm serious. regulate them, monitor it, but let players do them If they want to.

The Nationals and Bryce Harper have agreed on a 2-year, $7.5 million deal, avoiding a grievance hearing on Tuesday. It erases the final year of his original 5-year, $9.9 million deal. He will make $2.5 million in 2015 and $5 million in 2016. He is eligible for two years of arbitration in 2017 and 2018 before becoming a free agent.

how old would that make him? 25-26?

Really Surprised the Giants didnt get Tomas.

Oh yeah, add Tomas to the list too....

:\
Hopefully they don't trade the farm for someone on middling quality..

This is my biggest fear. That Wheeler/Beltran trade still hurts. Imagine if we had Wheeler we wouldn't be scrambling for another starter right now....

They're prepping for 2016 obviously.

2015 last place Giants! ....

The same thing we did at the trade deadline, nothing.

see5harp

Bumgarner is on a 6 year deal worth less than $36 million. That's pretty ridiculous. Really smart to give him that extension after 1 year. That's gotta be one of the best deals in the league right now.

jbug617

Banned
Dodgers sign Brett Anderson to a 1yr deal for $10m. He can get an extra $4m with incentives. He was also talking to the Yanks and A's before he signed with the Dodgers.

Malo

Banned
$10m? That's a pretty high base salary especially for someone who hasn't thrown over 100 innings since 2010.

I wonder how much it would take to sign Medlen.

aFIGurANT

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

The Astros' failed draft of Jacob Nix got settled so there's no grievance coming from him at least. I wonder how much more he got than he would have if the draft had gone through and he got his "guaranteed" 1.5M signing bonus. I'm guessing it's close to that dollar amount but who knows.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Braves are going to DFA Anthony Varvaro for a roster spot but keep Jose Constanza and Luis Avilan.

There's no sense to this.

aFIGurANT

And now Alex Rios is off the board.

BRING ME WALKER

I remember Rios as a god from fantasy baseball the past ~2 years but apparently last season was a real shitshow.

To appease Sanjuro: What the FUCK are the Royals doing? Never sign someone who was bad last year for more than 1 mill. Basic Moneyball shit right there.

He's Izzy/Boggs v2.0. Good luck with that.

Although the above assumes that Boggs was ever half as good as Izzy was. Relievers, man....
Even before his precipitous downfall, Boggs was never as good as Motte was either.

Motte will be good if he can get back the zip on his fastball. But if he's not sitting in the high 90s, he doesn't have the secondary stuff to be a good major league pitcher.

Dan Uggla said he plans to play in 2015 and supposedly five teams are interested in him, but none of them are willing to go beyond a minor league deal.

Sizzle55

Hope so! Judge could become a star in a year or two. I was hoping to see Refsnyder get a go but Headley is a safe signing, very good in the field, switch hitter seemed to love New York and seems like a good guy to have in the clubhouse.

Malo

Banned
Hope so! Judge could become a star in a year or two. I was hoping to see Refsnyder get a go but Headley is a safe signing, very good in the field, switch hitter seemed to love New York and seems like a good guy to have in the clubhouse.
As soon as someone gets injured, which is inevitable, they'll have Prado shift to that position, enabling Refsnyder to be called up.

Mdot

I like the Headley signing. Keep the defense up in the infield and I think he'll produce offensively as well. I'm glad they didn't go any longer in the years department with the signing, but I can't see how this is a negative.

I would like the youngsters to get a chance at some point though too.

BFIB

Morse to the Marlins.

I was hoping the Cards would get him, but knew that was off the table when they signed Mark.....fucking....Reynolds.

Top Bottom