• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

The Astros' failed draft of Jacob Nix got settled so there's no grievance coming from him at least. I wonder how much more he got than he would have if the draft had gone through and he got his "guaranteed" 1.5M signing bonus. I'm guessing it's close to that dollar amount but who knows.
So he's a Stro now? Brady Aiken struggled in JuCo fall ball.

Hope so! Judge could become a star in a year or two. I was hoping to see Refsnyder get a go but Headley is a safe signing, very good in the field, switch hitter seemed to love New York and seems like a good guy to have in the clubhouse.

Let Refsnyder cook for a little bit. I would love to see him play a full season with AAA, and sit as an injury call up (invariably Headley or Prado will go down, and someone will have to play - or even Beltran/A-Rod will, which is time for him too). In 2016, he can take over for Prado. Aaron Judge, I'm not ready to be hyped about yet. He's right on track to inherit RF in 2016-ish if he keeps developing, though.

thefro

B4_alYMIAAAeEer.png

Lester decided to break the SI curse as a warmup

BFIB

Am I missing something w/ the Cubs? Lester was a nice get, but to me, they're still a year or two away from contending.

They had a pretty decent record after the break last year. But a lot of it has to do with how well the specs do. If Bryant is the next Trout and Arrieta can be a legit 1 then we have a shot at a WC. Also has to with how well the rest of the division is. The state of the NL Central is definitely down.

Woohoo what an awesome off season so far right guys? Guys????

We really need someone at third. And a pitcher or two. And someone in LF. I feel like a broken record at this point.

They had a pretty decent record after the break last year. But a lot of it has to do with how well the specs do. If Bryant is the next Trout and Arrieta can be a legit 1 then we have a shot at a WC. Also has to with how well the rest of the division is. The state of the NL Central is definitely down.
:lol that's not wildly optimistic at all

The division will be as tough as it has been in a while. Every team seems capable of a winning record.

Sizzle55

Let Refsnyder cook for a little bit. I would love to see him play a full season with AAA, and sit as an injury call up (invariably Headley or Prado will go down, and someone will have to play - or even Beltran/A-Rod will, which is time for him too). In 2016, he can take over for Prado. Aaron Judge, I'm not ready to be hyped about yet. He's right on track to inherit RF in 2016-ish if he keeps developing, though.
Agreed. Would be nice to see someone young come up and give the team a boost. No doubt one of the players you mentioned will go down and Refsnyder will get a call up. I think Aaron Judge is on pace to take over from Beltran when his contract expires. Beltran is my pick of the Yankees to have a bounce back season, fingers crossed.

aFIGurANT

So he's a Stro now? Brady Aiken struggled in JuCo fall ball.

No I think he's still undraftable because they lost the slot money from Aiken. He'll be in next year's draft if his NCAA eligibility goes through after a year at the JC level. Which is kinda interesting since it seems like a lot of Houston's picks (failed and successful) are falling apart upon closer scrutiny.

I had honestly no idea that Brad Penny was still pitching.
I mean he has virtually no shot to make the team and spring training invites are handed out as a favor to agents, but he still is an odd choice.

No I think he's still undraftable because they lost the slot money from Aiken. He'll be in next year's draft if his NCAA eligibility goes through after a year at the JC level. Which is kinda interesting since it seems like a lot of Houston's picks (failed and successful) are falling apart upon closer scrutiny.
They passed on Buxton and Bryant which seem like awful decisions now. Correa looks good though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hooray, Rays moved Matt Joyce for something useful.

Nice get for the Angels to have somebody to plug in for the half season Hamilton will miss.

edit - Jake McGee starting the year on the DL. Great.

Glad he's getting paid but not by the Cards. He was part of the Game 6 and Game 5 comebacks.

So the only guys left from the 2011 WS squad are Wainwright, Molina, Holliday, Jay, and Lynn? Jaime too, I guess.

Technically Wainwright wasn't on it since he was out the entire year with TJ, but yeah. Kinda weird to think about

Fuck that mets system is healthy. Don't mind losing the first round pick at all. Just sucks that Cuddyer is injured so much. His numbers away from Coors are actually not bad at all.

Top Bottom