• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Can't believe we lost out on Morse too.

We're like 0-12 this offseason....

UcuOGcAl.jpg

You teams and your trades and free agent signings. While Chicagoans will take their families to Wrigley to see Jon Lester pitch the Cubs to a decades-long dynasty, I'll be taking my girlfriend to Miller Park to learn about Bud Selig's old office!

You teams and your trades and free agent signings. While Chicagoans will take their families to Wrigley to see Jon Lester pitch the Cubs to a decades-long dynasty, I'll be taking my girlfriend to Miller Park to learn about Bud Selig's old office!

I think the 49ers got Walsh's old office right in their glory day worship museum thing at the new park, but fuck Selig. Who wants to see that old fucks office?

see5harp

$4 million a year for Morse is worth it if he can stay healthy but man dude is probably the worst pro outfielder I've ever seen. He was so bad that he finally got healthy for the playoffs and Bochy decided to continue playing some dude who had never started in outfield. Dude made current Kemp and old ass Barry Bonds look like studs.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
$4 million a year for Morse is worth it if he can stay healthy but man dude is probably the worst pro outfielder I've ever seen. He was so bad that he finally got healthy for the playoffs and Bochy decided to continue playing some dude who had never started in outfield. Dude made current Kemp and old ass Barry Bonds look like studs.
It's $8mm/year actually, with incentives.

see5harp

It's $8mm/year actually, with incentives.

Okay that makes more sense. I don't know about $8 million though. Maybe if it was an AL team where he didn't have to get exposed so much and all he had to do with hit a homer here and there. Now that Pagan is back he'd probably be starting the season on the bench with Gregor Blanco starting left. I wonder whether Ishikawa will get another contract. I think he sorta deserves something.

EDIT: I guess if he's able to play First Base then he becomes a little more valuable. I still don't think dudes body is gonna hold up. He's just too damn big for his own good.

santeesioux

Jason A. Churchill ‏@ProspectInsider 21m21 minutes ago
Strong indications that Seattle is the third team in Rays-Padres Wil Myers trade scenario. Walker may end up in SD. Myers to SEA.

cashman

Banned
They had a pretty decent record after the break last year. But a lot of it has to do with how well the specs do. If Bryant is the next Trout and Arrieta can be a legit 1 then we have a shot at a WC. Also has to with how well the rest of the division is. The state of the NL Central is definitely down.

Strikes out waaaaaay too much for this to happen.

Opiate

Strikes out waaaaaay too much for this to happen.

Even if he didn't strike out as much, it would be very unlikely. There have been many seemingly golden players to make their way through the minors, and only 1 out of every 20 of those end up being a HoF player.

aFIGurANT

Names in the Myers trade.

That seems like a greater haul than KC got for him. At least hypothetically. James Shields helped but five minor leaguers is pretty damn hefty on the Padres side of the cost. I would love for this deal to go official before 2015 so we can say that this was the wildest year for trades in a long time.

Even if he didn't strike out as much, it would be very unlikely. There have been many seemingly golden players to make their way through the minors, and only 1 out of every 20 of those end up being a HoF player.
Never mind that Trout isn't just tracking like a mere HoF player but has a chance to lay claim to be an inner circle HoFer.

Put it another way, Pujols' first 10 seasons averaged out to 7.85 fWAR (and I'm sure Cubs fans would pee in their pants if Bryant even sniffs Pujolesque numbers). Trout is well ahead of that pace with 9.47 fWAR/season in his first 3 full seasons
of course, we'll have to see how long he can maintain this pace but he hasn't even hit his prime years yet
. Because of Trout's great defense at a premium position and stellar baserunning, Bryant would have to hit better than prime Pujols to be in the same stratosphere of Trout. Unless one thinks Bryant can match Trout's value on the basepaths and with the glove (while playing a less demanding position)...

I wonder what MLB will do in bringing more african-americans into the sport. I know they have that RBI program but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. The NBA and NFL are eating their lunch right now. Perhaps it's because baseball isn't as marketable as the other sports? Not enough highlight moments? Not cool enough?

I wonder what MLB will do in bringing more african-americans into the sport. I know they have that RBI program but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. The NBA and NFL are eating their lunch right now. Perhaps it's because baseball isn't as marketable as the other sports? Not enough highlight moments? Not cool enough?

The minor leagues sucks compared NCAA Basketball/Football.

Mdot

It's generally less accessible from an equipment and playing field standpoint than basketball or football, IMO.

Opiate

More international players to play ball. Good for the sport.

Agreed. While MLB has its struggles (most notably national TV, clearly its glaring weakness), it has some advantages, too. It's a far more international sport than the NFL is, for starters, and Cuba plays a large role in that.

Top Bottom