• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

jbug617

Banned
Latest on the Myers trade

@Ken_Rosenthal: Turner, Joe Ross to #Nationals. Myers, Hanigan, Jose Castillo to #Padres. Souza, Ott, Rivera, Smith, Bauers to #Rays (Souza, Ott from Nats).

Nats putting in work

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Because the Nationals need more talent in their system. Ugh.

Meanwhile, the Johns in Atlanta are still figuring out if packaging Chris Johnson with Justin Upton is a good idea or not.

The 3 team deal is pretty crazy. I know this sounds insane, but I think the Padres might be able to contend next year. The Dodgers are rebuilding and the Giants haven't been able to sign any of their targets. San Diego's starting rotation of Ross, Cashner, Kennedy and Despaigne is vastly underrated. Adding some offense in the form of Myers and Kemp could be enough to push them into a winning team.

Of course, Kemp and Myers both have to stay healthy. Risky stuff but I think their front office realizes they could make a push this season in the NL West.

The 3 team deal is pretty crazy. I know this sounds insane, but I think the Padres might be able to contend next year. The Dodgers are rebuilding and the Giants haven't been able to sign any of their targets. San Diego's starting rotation of Ross, Cashner, Kennedy and Despaigne is vastly underrated. Adding some offense in the form of Myers and Kemp could be enough to push them into a winning team.

Of course, Kemp and Myers both have to stay healthy. Risky stuff but I think their front office realizes they could make a push this season in the NL West.

Dodgers rebuilding?

Wat?

San Diego is the 3rd best team in the division on paper. Colorado and Arizone are awful so they could bolster their record against them, but other than that they aren't a contender.

aFIGurANT

I followed a Lindbergh Wormhole after he linked this old article and holy shit was Josh Hamilton a beast for a minute there. He's going to be Vernon Wells v2.0 soon but that's old news.

Anyway that link is kind of a cool read if you're wondering how often top prospects who were traded pan out.

Dodgers rebuilding?

Wat?

San Diego is the 3rd best team in the division on paper. Colorado and Arizone are awful so they could bolster their record against them, but other than that they aren't a contender.

Sorry, bad choice of words. They're tweaking currently. But trading away Kemp, Gordon and Hanley really makes their offense look a lot less intimidating. That's not to say they won't build the team up, there's still another 4 months until April.

Sorry, bad choice of words. They're tweaking currently. But trading away Kemp, Gordon and Hanley really makes their offense look a lot less intimidating. That's not to say they won't build the team up, there's still another 4 months until April.

They're gonna be counting a lot on Puig to put together a full consistent season and Joc Pederson to live up to his prospect hype, at least somewhat, otherwise they could be struggling on offense and in the market for a bat midseason. I thought they should have gone hard after Headley but with the contract he signed maybe he had no desire to leave NY.

Ken RosenthalVerified account
‏@Ken_Rosenthal
This is getting weird. #Padres official: “Still inconclusive on Kemp.” Is trade in jeopardy? “Not yet.”

might just be trying to get more money out of the doyers

JDHarbs

1. Volquez
2. Ventura
3. Vargas
4. Guthrie
5. Duffy

I'm cautiously optimistic. I expect Hoch to stay in the bullpen. He's basically a younger version of Wade Davis. They tried being starters, failed, and resorted to being monsters out of the bullpen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ventura takes the #1 spot from Volquez too, but he's still young and Ned likes to ease guys into things.

Enron

Banned
Rays GM ought to be shot after that deal, wow did they get the short end of that. Either that or Myers must be toast.

Speaking of the Pads, anyone else think they have the most boring, generic unis in all of baseball? I'm not saying they should go full on back to the brown UPS uniforms but at least bring back the orange accent.

CygnusXS

Pick a category, the Padres are the most middling at it.

With the exception of "most boring" or "most forgettable." They lead the majors in those areas.

Great ballpark though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Have the Padres EVER had a decent looking uniform? I can't think of one. The camo is the worst uniform in the history of MLB.

Have the Padres EVER had a decent looking uniform? I can't think of one. The camo is the worst uniform in the history of MLB.

444113155_o.jpg

I liked these, at least the cap. Teams should avoid pin stripes at all costs though.

The Padres are projected to finish 4th by Fangraphs depth charts projectsion prior to this trade, I don't think Wil Myers is suddenly enough to make up a -147 run differential in comparison to the Dodgers.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings#NL-W

Edit: Apparently this also doesn't include Kemp either since that deal isn't official. Still they're A HUNDRED AND FOURTY SEVEN runs worse than the Dodgers on paper.

Dre3001

Myers fate was pretty much sealed after he made comments about not working hard and thinking he already made it this season after winning ROY.

His nonchalant dont give a shit attitude also didnt help either. He is still young and can easily be a great player going forward but im guessing the Rays decided to go a different direction.

Padres projected lineup now:

1. Will Venable - CF
2. Yangveris Solarte - 3B
3. Matt Kemp - RF
4. Seth Smith - 1B
5. Wil Myers - LF
6. Jedd Gyorko - 2B
7. Alexi Amarista - SS
8. Ryan Hanigan - C

CygnusXS

Padres projected lineup now:

1. Will Venable - CF
2. Yangveris Solarte - SS
3. Matt Kemp - RF
4. Seth Smith - 1B
5. Wil Myers - LF
6. Jedd Gyorko - 2B
7. Alexi Amarista - SS
8. Ryan Hanigan - C

Bold decision to play two guys at short and leave the hot corner open.

Sort of a shitty situation for both teams (and Kemp). If the Pads back out, which wouldn't be that unreasonable being that you don't want to be on the hook for $15 million a year on a guy with bad hips, it could make their front office look like they are reneging on an agreement. For the Dodgers it just makes Kemp that much harder for them to move now that this is out. I wonder if there is a way for a team to quietly run a players medicals before announcing a trade.

zychi

Banned
I think the padres will still do the trade, just lad will have to pay more of the contract. If not philly will probably do it

Top Bottom