• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

McNei1y

I'd keep Zimmermann in a heartbeat over Scherzer but I guess the FO/Rizzo is looking to get something in return from JZ rather than letting him walk.

And if not, at least I could see one of the best rotations at work daily.

It's going to be interesting to watch a Braves team that's in full rebuild mode. First time since the 80's.

Should make tickets cheaper at least. :cool:

This is hardly a full rebuild. If so, they would have unloaded Freeman, Kimbrel and Simmons too. They still have good pitching. It's a half-rebuild at best.

What will it take to land Strasburgerz? I would imagine it would take at LEAST a team's top 3 prospects.
Well depends on the system you are trading the prospects from. In the Cubs perspective that would be an overpay for someone that had TJ and bad mechanics. If the Cubs wanted to build a deal around Russell and Schwarber along with a few other names it would probably get done.

exsqueeze-me-baking-powder-o.gif

Exsqueeze me?

BFIB

I must say, on the list I had for potential suitors for Scherzer, the Nats weren't even in my possible spots.

This is why I love baseball.

Scott Boras runs the Nationals, not really surprising they signed Scherzer. The Nationals will be in payroll hell in a couple of years though.

McNei1y

Scott Boras runs the Nationals, not really surprising they signed Scherzer. The Nationals will be in payroll hell in a couple of years though.

Only two contracts really hurt us. But it definitely means we lose the flexibility on signing a lot of our guys. One of Stras/Harper is gone. Rendon is going to want big money. And that's about it. Got some good arms coming up to replace a few guys in our rotation and then we have trea turner and wilmer difo for the middle. Then a couple of outfielders. All of em under control for a good chunk of years and are cheap.

It's nice to know that as of now, every day the Nats have an "ace" on the mound.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Dan Straily's one

Fowler's a great fit for the Cubs. Needed an OF who can hit leadoff.

Was just about to post this.

Wonder who else is going/coming back.

They really needed to trade one of their 40 catchers first, but I'm OK with getting back some MLB ready talent for Fowler.
@JeffPassan 2m2 minutes ago
Source: Luis Valbuena going to Astros along with Dan Straily in deal for Dexter Fowler.

RBH

This is hardly a full rebuild. If so, they would have unloaded Freeman, Kimbrel and Simmons too. They still have good pitching. It's a half-rebuild at best.

Not sure why you're interested in arguing semantics. But hey, considering the context of the Braves' history since '91 and the amount of moves made this offseason, I have no hesitation in calling it a full rebuild (even with Kimbrel still here). And nobody expected Freeman or Simmons to go anywhere after the contracts they got last offseason anyways. It was a full reconstruction of the farm system that was badly needed.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
@astros 2m2 minutes ago
#Astros officially acquire IF Luis Valbuena and RHP Dan Straily from the Cubs in exchange for OF Dexter Fowler

And there you have it.

Dex is a good lead-off hitter, not so much a great fielder though.

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: Scherzer deal with #Nationals is seven years, $210M with half deferred. He will receive $15M per year for 14 years.

Holyshit.

Hmm. IDK how to feel about this trade. I like Valbuena and he would have been great insurance just in case one of our specs busts. Astros are getting a really underrated player in Valbuena. He carried our offense during stretches and can play multiple infield positions.

Malvingt2

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Max Scherzer's deal is $210 million for seven year. Half is deferred: $105M from 2015-21, $105M from 2022-28. @Ken_Rosenthal first.

Top Bottom